Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 05:55:55 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Trail Street (1947)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trail Street (1947)  (Read 1572 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2010, 03:26:25 PM »

This should have served as an inspiration for Rio Bravo, as it's written on the cover of the italian dvd release.

but I doubt it. I can't spot many similarities between the two movies and if there are, they are too common: how many movies you have with cattlemen vs. farmers? And as I am not a great fan of Rio Bravo that wouldn't make an asset anyway. This movie is run of the mill stuff, with little or no originality. The only plus is Gabby Hayes, if you can stand him. 6\10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 03:54:50 PM »

Here is my take from last year:
Trail Street (1947) - 5/10. Randolph Scott and Robert Ryan together again for the first time! Too bad it's on account of the evil cattlemen afflicting the virtuous farmers. When was Hollywood ever going to get around to making a film about saintly cattlemen and satanic farmers? This flick also has a couple of love interests, the goody-goody girl and the saloon tart who turns out to be the more principled of the two. Yeah, that formula got worked a bit. And did I mention the main situation has to do with a couple of locked-up hooligans and the gang that's determined to break them out? Featuring the obnoxious "Gabby" Hayes in the Walter Brennan/Arthur Hunnicutt role. There's also a sub-plot about Robert Ryan discovering that Winter wheat is the miracle crop that's going to save Kansas and make it the bread-basket of the nation. The only truly inventive bit of visual narration has him coming upon the discovery suddenly and unexpectedly. Otherwise, the film is pedestrian in the extreme.

"A frame within the frame! Wait until my friend Sergio sees this!"

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 04:05:53 PM »

The two musical numbers (I tell you: I prefer these to those of Rio Bravo) feature two songs in a style not in line with the times. But even more ridiculous is the fact that in the second one the male choir of 4 is dressed up in Dixieland style, with straw hats and striped jackets.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 04:07:49 PM by titoli » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 06:57:14 PM »

Trail Street (1947) agree with all of the above, nothing special, farmers & Bat Masterson (without derby hat or cane) against free rangers 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 07:25:18 AM »

The two musical numbers (I tell you: I prefer these to those of Rio Bravo) feature two songs in a style not in line with the times. But even more ridiculous is the fact that in the second one the male choir of 4 is dressed up in Dixieland style, with straw hats and striped jackets.

I was put off by the obvious musical style of the saloon numbers in this too.

Just a shot in the dark I know but I wonder if anybody knows what western this might be from a scene I can remember from it?:-

There is a man very much like Billy House who is in this film. He has a mocking smile. He shoots a man and then imitates the surprised look of the dying man he has just shot. And then gives a wicked mocking smile.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM