Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 02:08:22 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Count(s) of Monte Cristo
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Count(s) of Monte Cristo  (Read 1225 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2010, 08:03:25 PM »

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) - (somewhere just above a) 7/10

Well the original story is so well known and wonderfully cinematic you'd have to be a complete moron not to transform it into a good film. It's entertaining, not very dramatic if you know the story already. The only part that was done poorly was when Dantes finds Spada's treasure - they show (almost) nothing of it. The funny thing is I don't remember any of the other ecranisations anymore, and I know I must have seen at least three or more of them when I was a kid.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 10:15:04 PM »

The funny thing is I don't remember any of the other ecranisations anymore, and I know I must have seen at least three or more of them when I was a kid.

I presume one was the 8 parts italian serial with Andrea Giordana?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »

I presume one was the 8 parts italian serial with Andrea Giordana?

Yeah I believe so, but don't remember anything. Have you watched it recently, how good is it?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 03:57:01 PM »

It's the best, I think. Yes, I rewatched it after more than 40 years some months ago and still holds good, thanx to Giordana (who was 19 at the time) and some of the best italian theatre actors in secondary parts. The problem is that the novel, for its first third, can claim to be to best adventure story ever. But after Dantes escape  it's hard to justify all the complicated machinations of the Count to exact his revenge. And so if you follow the novel very strictly like the serial format allows to do, you must take the advantages with the disadvantages: great first 3 parts and too long all the rest. 

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 07:29:35 PM »

Yeah the novel does become too complicated once he gets back, read it as a kid and never after but even then I thought there must have been an easier way to get to all of them. This 2002 version is almost as good as it gets considering the story has been told a million times before, most of that stuff after he gets back has been cut off and the tempo is rather vivace. Liked the actors too.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 07:40:12 PM »

If I get the chance I'll search for the other ecranisations too. I was planning but unfortunately I never seem to have enough time to find them, get them and watch them.

For those reasons you say it was done more times as a television series rather than a movie. I think there are various Italian and French versions, probably something British and American also, I think there must also be something Russian and German, and Spanish. I've heard from someone there's a lot of those that were done for various televisions around Europe and never even registered.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM