Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2020, 01:23:27 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  ITALIAN CRIME FILMS: An Overview & Reviews
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22
: ITALIAN CRIME FILMS: An Overview & Reviews  ( 73668 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #165 : July 08, 2007, 01:00:34 PM »

Watched this today,an utterly brilliant film and as good as anything i've seen so far in this genre.

I couldn't disagree most. I saw it some months ago and found it goofy, badly directed and cheap both in production values and ideas which should make up for them.   

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #166 : July 09, 2007, 04:41:44 AM »

Are there any movies from this genre which you enjoy Titoli?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #167 : July 09, 2007, 05:25:49 AM »

Well, I did see a handful, maybe. Steno's movie, I liked it very much when I saw it, but I was a teenager, don't know if I would now. Castellari's first I saw it a few months ago and surely liked it better than this. I have some Merli waiting for me, but I still haven't found the guts to watch them. Of course, I like and see often the later Milian's, but as they are comedies, they can appeal (and they still do) only to italian audiences.
The problem with this genre is that when these movies were produced there were other american products which were better played, produced, directed and generally tought up. I saw all these italian products for what they were: cheap b-productions.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

« #168 : July 09, 2007, 02:25:24 PM »

I've found another euro crime movie with the exact same plot as LA POLIZIO RANGRAZIA only this one was released the year before.

Cheap B productions? I find the loose fashion in which people use the term funny. No one here seems to know what a 'B' film really is.

But yes these movies were less expensive copies of American product. That doesn't make them any less good. Who says a movie has to have 100 million dollars to be good?

Nearly all these spaghetti westerns and many of the AMerican westerns that are slathered over here are as you say- "cheap B productions", to use the term in the manner in which you did.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

« #169 : July 09, 2007, 03:05:22 PM »

YOUNG, VIOLENT & DANGEROUS 1976- aka LIBERI, ARMATI E PERICOLOSI

Tomas Milian, Eleonora Giorgi, Stefano Patrizi

Three young men go a crime spree that escalates into an out of control binge of violence that results in a manhunt for the young murderers headed by a determined commissioner (Milian).

Romolo Guerrieri (cousin of Enzo Castellari) directs this Fernando di Leo scripted movie based on a novel by Giorgio Scerbanenco. He also did the spaghetti western 10,000 BLOOD MONEY and a couple of the post nuke movies that were briefly popular in the 80s including the awful EXTERMINATORS FROM THE YEAR 3000. I've seen his name on numerous peplums as an AD I think.

Milian is quite different here and extremely "mature" and controlled in his role of the persistent police commissioner out to arrest the junior criminals. Those expecting another madcap, over-the-top performance will either be surprised or disappointed.

A very well made Euro crime thriller that contains some hidden connotations between the relationships of the two principle crooks and Patrizi's girlfriend. There is also much to think about for the younger generation of the time in Milan considering the criminality that was rampant during the 70s all over Italy. Also the issue of the criminals parents is brought to light considering they're all rich and repercussions from years of neglect being responsible for their cruel behavior may seem a bit extreme for such a rampant murder spree but it does give you something else to think about aside from the near constant diatribes on the legal system of the day.

A very similar movie was released the year prior entitled VIOLENCE FOR KICKS but that film was pure exploitation and had no redeeming values whatsoever. That's not a bad thing mind you, but Sergio Grieco's direction in the other film is no match for Guerrieri's here.

American filmmaker Penelope Spheeris must have seen this movie while making THE BOYS NEXT DOOR (1986) starring Charlie Sheen and Maxwell Caulfield which had a similar plot to this film. Here, it was two hoodlum friends who were social outcasts and a weekend in the city proves deadly when one of them goes further and further over the deep end until the two are surrounded inside a mall after hours.

I haven't watched the doc on this disc from Raro yet, but there seems to be some kind of homo-erotic tendencies between the two main crooks, the mastermind behind the group and the driver whose girlfriend (Giorgi) is constantly at war with him to stand on his own two feet.

There is also a line that reveals that the gang leader is impotent and one scene involves their near discovery by helicopter and the leader grabs the girl and lays her down half naked in a field to try and throw the cops off their trail. This could also be seen another way. That he was trying to prove that he could become excited by the touch of a woman's flesh. I'm sure the doc will speak on this subject. There are several scenes where the leader looks at Patrizi with near lustful eyes that gives the impression the reason for his "impotence", is that he is not turned on at all by women.

A fascinating movie just the same with a great unexpected ending.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

« #170 : July 09, 2007, 03:27:05 PM »

Here's a bit about the other movie that has the same plot as RANGRAZIA...

Kill (aka Kill!, 1971)
WIDE-SCREEN PICTURE
ENGLISH LANGUAGE WITH FINNISH SUBTITLES
Directed by Romain Gary, France / Italy / Spain / West Germany
Drugs are taking over Italy, and the police feel like they're fighting a losing battle and a ready to give up. James Mason is in charge of a special unit designed to break up the drug rings. Stephan Boyd is an assassin out to kill whoever is working undercover. A hard-edged crime film that pulls no punches! With Curd J├╝rgens and Jean Seberg and an amazing score by Berto Pisano.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #171 : July 09, 2007, 03:29:11 PM »

Nearly all these spaghetti westerns and many of the AMerican westerns that are slathered over here are as you say- "cheap B productions",

Actually, most of the spags I'm reviewing can be bestowed the letter B only by convention. Actually they are any letter form s to z.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #172 : July 10, 2007, 04:30:20 AM »

Other than the DIRTY HARRY films and FRENCH CONNECTION and the odd Bronson movie i can't think of any American crime thrillers from  that period which i enjoy and watch regularly.Money doesn't always equate to quality and just like the sw's improved on and kept me into westerns into adulthood,i prefer the crime thrillers of Castelalari and Di Leo for the  added ingrediants included in their movies.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #173 : July 10, 2007, 09:04:47 AM »

The opening is effectively brutal as Lanzetta sneaks into the private theater and kills the bosses with a grenade launcher! He then blows a couple of other guys up before taking a few more out with his silencer pistol. 
That sublime opening scene from ILL BOSS  O0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hh-xR-OE824

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #174 : July 10, 2007, 09:32:30 AM »

This was a good one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070672/

Another:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071259/

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #175 : July 10, 2007, 10:16:52 AM »

This was a good one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070672/

Another:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071259/

Thanks Titoli,the dvd from thetop link,THE SEVEN UPS(1973) comes at a nice price too.  :)

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #176 : July 10, 2007, 10:38:13 AM »

Let me know if they are any good as I remember them.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #177 : July 10, 2007, 10:39:40 AM »

Another came to mind:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070022/

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #178 : July 10, 2007, 10:51:34 AM »

And another:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069761/

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #179 : July 10, 2007, 02:35:26 PM »

Let me know if they are any good as I remember them.
Thanks Titoli and i may very well check some of these out. O0

Seems to me that you may be a closet fan of this genre ;)

: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines