Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 10, 2020, 01:06:19 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  ITALIAN CRIME FILMS: An Overview & Reviews
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22
: ITALIAN CRIME FILMS: An Overview & Reviews  ( 75617 )
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

« #195 : November 27, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »

I purchased a couple of 16mm Italian Crime films starring Antonio Sabato titled EYE OF THE SPIDER also with Klaus Kinski, and BLACK LEMONS. I have yet to watch these films, and was curious if anyone had seen either film before?

By the way AC .... fantastic thread! Its hard to find anyone that has even heard or seen most of these films.
For my taste ... I think that the 70's Italian Crime films are right on par with the American Film Noir's of the 40's and 50's!

Thank you Frank, I have about 36 reviews total posted on another forum that specializes in Euro cult movies. I gave up posting them here as so few people seemed interested in them. Many of the guys there have seen far more of these than me and know a lot more about them. Many of those guys buy the multitude of releases without English options. I have a few of those myself as well as a fair handful of fan dubs/subs.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #196 : February 11, 2009, 06:50:54 AM »

I PADRONI DELLA CITTA' 1976- aka RULERS OF THE CITY aka MR. SCARFACE

Two young friends initiate themselves into a gang to get close to big time crime boss Mr. Scarface (Palance) to get revenge for a childhood murder and destroy his mob.

Fernando di Leo's third chapter in his second Euro Crime trilogy is a disappointing affair. The film starts out strong but slowly peters out after that and never regains steam until the final 15 minutes when the friend lure Scarface's mob into an abandoned factory where a ferocious gun battle complete with explosions takes place. There are very few action scenes other than numerous fist fights and nothing at all similar to other entries in the genre. Maybe I'll give it another view later but as of now, it's a big letdown considering reviews amp up the sleaze factor and aside from one brief bit of a gangster hanging by a meathook from his throat, the film is tame in comparison to other di Leo movies. No one even bleeds when they are shot.

The documentary on the Raro disc is very interesting (moreso than the film) including reminisces from di Leo himself. He says it is a film that gets regular play on Italian television.

Although Palance is featured prominently on the cover as well as the poster, he's barely in the movie. In fact, the US title of MR. SCARFACE is a bit of a misnomer. Palance figures in the nicely done opening but then disappears for large chunks of the film and is even killed off before the big confrontation.

Al Cliver is actually the films real star as he is the child that figures in the opening gundown. But it is Harry Bauer, a German actor, who gets the bulk of the screen time. One scene after another he engages in pseudo martial arts fights with various henchmen leading up to he and Cliver's big gun battle in the run down factory at the conclusion.

Edmund Purdom is also on hand but has even less to do than Palance. He plays Palance's lead rival and exits the film rather quickly and gets no time to shine.

Another beautful restoration from Raro with a fine documentary with subs. The film can either be viewed in Italian, Italian with english subs or the English dub itself. If only the numerous earlier releases from Raro had English tracks or subs.

I put off watching this for a while after reading this but i have to say that i quite enjoyed it! ;D Yes compared to the first trilogy this is tamer stuff but i thoroughly enjoyed Bauer's (and his accomplices) fun performance of continually taking apart Palance's henchmen and it made a change from Di Leo's usual downbeat movies in this genre.My copy is an appallingly bad pan and scan video sourced dvd which because of some choppy editing i suspect is heavily cut(running time 84 minutes) so it never seemed that Palance(very good indeed as Scarface) was too far away from the action.My only gripe is that he died a bit prematurely for my liking. Also thought that Bacalov's very spare piano/bass/flute/percussions was excellent.

With a better print i could see myself giving this a 7 out of 10 rating.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #197 : February 11, 2009, 01:27:55 PM »

Despite the climactic bike chase in that abandoned warhouse I really didn't care for this much.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

« #198 : February 11, 2009, 02:41:46 PM »

I put off watching this for a while after reading this but i have to say that i quite enjoyed it! ;D Yes compared to the first trilogy this is tamer stuff but i thoroughly enjoyed Bauer's (and his accomplices) fun performance of continually taking apart Palance's henchmen and it made a change from Di Leo's usual downbeat movies in this genre.My copy is an appallingly bad pan and scan video sourced dvd which because of some choppy editing i suspect is heavily cut(running time 84 minutes) so it never seemed that Palance(very good indeed as Scarface) was too far away from the action.My only gripe is that he died a bit prematurely for my liking. Also thought that Bacalov's very spare piano/bass/flute/percussions was excellent.

With a better print i could see myself giving this a 7 out of 10 rating.

The Italian dvd runs 92 minutes and Palance really isn't in the movie that much despite being featured prominently on the poster. Palance is much better in SQUADRA ANTISCHIPPO aka COP IN BLUE JEANS.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #199 : February 12, 2009, 05:49:04 PM »

Despite the climactic bike chase in that abandoned warhouse I really didn't care for this much.

Not exactly action packed admittedly but i still found this much more fun and exciting than some of the talk only polizio's like BAD COP CHRONICLES  which i'm in no hurry to see again.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #200 : February 12, 2009, 06:25:01 PM »

Like the sig from Hitch Hike Banjo O0

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #201 : February 12, 2009, 06:55:39 PM »

I'll have to rewatch it to see what Franco Nero was saying to Corrine Clery! :D

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #202 : February 13, 2009, 12:01:40 AM »

Does this thread belong in this section?

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

« #203 : February 13, 2009, 12:08:33 AM »

Does this thread belong in this section?

Don't think so, but I don't recall putting it here in the first place. ;D

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #204 : September 21, 2009, 07:35:17 PM »

IL GIUSTIZIERE SFIDA LA CITTA- SYNDICATE SADISTS (1975) aka RAMBO'S REVENGE

Rambo (Tomas Milian) a motor cycle riding tough guy comes to town to visit an old friend of his, a cop who is working on busting up mafia activity in the city. His friend tries to get him to become a cop because of his skills but Rambo refuses. When Rambo's friend and girlfriend is killed by the mob, Rambo takes matters into his own hands and goes about setting the two crime families against each other one of which is holding a rich man's son (who is rescued not once, but twice!) for ransom.

One of the mob leaders, Paterno, (Joseph Cotten) knows Rambo and warns him "You should not have come back." (The real reason for his statement isn't revealed until the finale).

Milian is really good here as the gruff and bearded Rambo who is kind to children, even supporting his friend's family after he is murdered and a one man army when dealing with the mob during many action scenes and chases. Milian got the idea for the character when he picked up a copy of the novel FIRST BLOOD, seven years before Stallone would play the character.

Joseph Cotten is also good as the tragic crime boss who fears for his son played by Adolfo Lastretti. Cotten plays the villain a bit differently then the usual crime boss found in these movies.

Director Lenzi again shows much flair in the action department and again, seems to possess a more professional and polished hand doing these kinds of movies as opposed to his more well known giallo's and cannibal adventures.

This US release features a brief interview with Lenzi (in which he states he wanted the name RAMBO in the original italian title but the producer did not like it) and an audio commentary by him as well.

Was just reading about this in the book "Tomas Milian: The Tough Bandit, The Rough Cop and the Filthy Rat in Italian Cinema". The following caught my attention:

"Umberto Lenzi here is willingly directing a crime movie version of Sergio Leone's 'Per un pugno di dollari' ('A Fistful of Dollars') and there's definitely a bond with the world-famous Spaghetti Western in terms of style."

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #205 : December 16, 2009, 05:41:37 PM »

Got the FLATFOOT 4 dvd box set yesterday and have watched the first 3 already.I have to say that certainly for the first two movies in the series FLATFOOT and FLATFOOT IN HONG KONG,these have to rate among the best stuff that Bud Spencer has been involved in.I've been rewatching alot of Italian crimes flicks just recently and these 2 movies(FLATFOOT IN AFRICA ain't that great) fall comfortably among the better polizieschi in that genre even allowing for the odd helping of happy slapping we come to expect from a Bud Spencer movie.The plots are surprisingly good and Spencer  is brilliantly charismatic as Inspector Rizzo aka Flatfoot and faces  the same harsh realities of drug syndicates and police corruption etc as the likes of Harry Callaghan(DIRTY HARRY) or Commionsioner Belli(HIGH CRIME) and likewise Flatfoot has his own unique way of dealing with it,including using his fists instead of a gun and upon catching the odd petty thief turning a blind eye figuring (perhaps likely)that a resulting prison sentence would only serve to churn out a much more formidable breed of criminal. The fight scenes in HONG KONG rank amongst the best i've seen from any Hill/Spencer flick which is why i rate it slightly higher than the first in the series.

My ratings FLATFOOT 8/10
                FLATFOOT IN HONG KONG 9/10
                FLATFOOT IN AFRICA 5/10

I'll be checking out FLATFOOT IN EGYPT shortly.

« : December 16, 2009, 05:57:06 PM Banjo »
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

« #206 : December 16, 2009, 07:04:25 PM »

Got the FLATFOOT 4 dvd box set yesterday and have watched the first 3 already.I have to say that certainly for the first two movies in the series FLATFOOT and FLATFOOT IN HONG KONG,these have to rate among the best stuff that Bud Spencer has been involved in.I've been rewatching alot of Italian crimes flicks just recently and these 2 movies(FLATFOOT IN AFRICA ain't that great) fall comfortably among the better polizieschi in that genre even allowing for the odd helping of happy slapping we come to expect from a Bud Spencer movie.The plots are surprisingly good and Spencer  is brilliantly charismatic as Inspector Rizzo aka Flatfoot and faces  the same harsh realities of drug syndicates and police corruption etc as the likes of Harry Callaghan(DIRTY HARRY) or Commionsioner Belli(HIGH CRIME) and likewise Flatfoot has his own unique way of dealing with it,including using his fists instead of a gun and upon catching the odd petty thief turning a blind eye figuring (perhaps likely)that a resulting prison sentence would only serve to churn out a much more formidable breed of criminal. The fight scenes in HONG KONG rank amongst the best i've seen from any Hill/Spencer flick which is why i rate it slightly higher than the first in the series.

My ratings FLATFOOT 8/10
                FLATFOOT IN HONG KONG 9/10
                FLATFOOT IN AFRICA 5/10

I'll be checking out FLATFOOT IN EGYPT shortly.

So are these comedies, or do they take a more serious slant towards the material? They sound good. I know Bruce Le did a movie or two with Spencer if I remember right.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #207 : December 17, 2009, 07:29:08 AM »

I'd say the first two films are semi-serious with bombings,assassinations,drug peddling to school children giving them that distinctive polizieschi vibe.Bud Spencer plays it straight (but of course with wisecracks aplenty) throughout the whole series but for the last two films the slapstick takes over somewhat with more attention being given to silly sidekicks including an annoying African kid who Flatfoot adopts.I did enjoy both AFRICA and EGYPT(my rating 6/10) which i'd recommend to Spencer fans only but not as much as the first two .

I'm intrigued about the Bud Spencer/Bruce Lee team ups! :o

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

« #208 : December 17, 2009, 03:36:36 PM »

I'm intrigued about the Bud Spencer/Bruce Lee team ups! :o

Not Lee, but Bruce Le, one of numerous Bruce Lee clones that enjoyed a brief popularity during the 70's.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #209 : December 17, 2009, 06:09:49 PM »

Sorry without thinking i took "Le" as a misspelling. :-[ Now that i know that the real Bruce Lee movie fights were heavily choreographed to make him look good including a double for the acrobatic stuff,who know's for sure that Bud Spencer wouldn't have sorted him out in his own inimitable way. :D

I'd like to think so. ;D

: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines