Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 23, 2024, 10:11:29 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  ITALIAN CRIME FILMS: An Overview & Reviews
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22
: ITALIAN CRIME FILMS: An Overview & Reviews  ( 107986 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #285 : April 13, 2011, 02:45:49 PM »

Hallucinating Strip (1975) I like the italian first half of the title: "Roma drogata". This is a movie which makes you think about all your daily affairs and follow just the images and lull you to slepp if you're tired. I don't know what the plot is about and I don't care. There's a long psychedelic sequence which is similar to tens of others. The american actor playing the lead looks out of place here exctly as he looked in his american movies. Only good thing is some nude, especially Eva Czemerys'. 3\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #286 : April 16, 2011, 07:50:41 AM »

The Boss (1973) One of the worst movies I saw in the last years. It is actually a festival of acting horrors , with a real competition among italian actors as to who plays worse. The plot is crap and the look is cheapie-cheap. The only good thing is the score. 2\10

« : May 01, 2011, 08:25:48 AM titoli »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #287 : April 21, 2011, 09:56:53 AM »

The Left Hand of the Law (La polizia interviene: ordine di uccidere) (1975)  It starts with a good car chase ending with a brutal double  murder. But then I yawned till the end, which may come as a surprise to some and has a good dialogue and ending. But if you add Mann sleepy performance you just wonder to what end such a great cast (Mason, Boyd, Salerno) was ever assembled. 4\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #288 : April 22, 2011, 11:41:16 AM »

Rulers of the City (1976) I think this is my favourite Di Leo for a good 3\4 time, quite enjoyable as to dialogues, unpredictability in the plot development (though he doesn't invent anything new) and single scenes. The movie has 3-4 languages spoken (roman, neapolitan and even apulian dialects + italian spoken by Palance and Purdom) main one being roman dialect (which is just a particular pronunciation of italian). It is rare to find a movie where roman language is used so naturally as here, even in the Giraldi\Monnezza movies.  But of course this goes over the foreign audiences. And this goes even in my favourite scene of the movie, the telephone call between Caprioli and Palance, where Caprioli speaks not in neapolitan but with a neapolitanized italian. What I didn't like is the wimpy german Baer, absolutely inadequate to the role and the finale where, again, the "ruler of the city" Palance presides in person to a drug deal. And the final shooting is even longer than FFDM's or GBU's, and more boring. 7\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #289 : April 23, 2011, 10:55:22 AM »

Shadows Unseen (1972) This is not a poliziottesco but rather a police drama, the drama being there is little action (actually, only the final car chase) and lots of talk. It bored me to death. 3\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #290 : April 24, 2011, 11:15:43 AM »

Mark Shoots First (1975) Two plot lines make this rather more solid than the other two movies of the series but it is nothing to lose yoour head about. 6\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #291 : April 28, 2011, 01:41:36 AM »

Elimination Force (1977) This has an extreme villain like Giulio Sacchi in Almost Human and it is well played by an actor I detest  but here is credible. There's also the unusual final scene which makes this a must-see for the fans of the genre. I give it a 7\10 in spite of the much padding in the plot, with all that rather boring training of the Elimination Force of the title which is not so central to the plot, led by the continuous challenge between Bozzuffi and Mezzogiorno. 

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #292 : May 01, 2011, 12:28:19 AM »

Violent Naples (1976) By far the best movie of the genre I've reviewed so far. It kept me glued to the chair from start to finish, though I have minor quibbles about it. It has the right pace a movie of this genre it  is supposed to have, with great scenes (the motocar races and the funicul√¨ funicul√† sequence being the best ones) and secondary plot lines which substitute the love and talkative scenes in the other movies. 8\10

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #293 : May 01, 2011, 02:13:42 AM »

Just ordered this from Amazon which it seems includes a chapter on Italian crime thrillers as long as the one on sw's. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cinema-Italiano-Complete-Guide-Classics/dp/1848856083/ref=tmm_pap_title_0#_

BTW THE BOSS is one of my favourites and includes Henry Silva's best performance that i've seen so far.Can't remember VIOLENT NAPLES too well as the Maurizio Merli films are so similar but i'm sure i enjoyed this too.I also liked STREET CRIME and FEAR IN THE CITY very much.Again very hazy,but i remember LEFT HAND OF THE LAW being not much good.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #294 : May 01, 2011, 08:08:06 AM »

Banjo, remember to review the Hughes' book in the Groggy's thread.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #295 : May 04, 2011, 03:21:10 PM »

Death Commando (1985) Even Di Leo's staunchiest supporters agree in judging this a minor achievement and I won't be the one to contradict them. 3\10 because of some nude girl.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #296 : May 05, 2011, 10:22:55 AM »

Loaded Guns (1974) Only reason to watch this it's the last fires of Ursula Undress' skin, from a distance, though. Di Leo adds slapstick to crime and the result sucks, predictably, on both counts. 5\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #297 : May 05, 2011, 01:02:11 PM »

Nick the Sting (1976) Di Leo blames Merenda for the movie's faults. I don't know if his original project was any better than the final result but I doubt it. This is simply a The Sting remake and, within limits, it fares well. 6\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #298 : May 06, 2011, 09:26:50 AM »

The Big Racket (1976) For the first half this is good as (or even better) than any cop movie I ever saw. Testi is absolutely on a par with any american counterpart (Eastwood included) though he is dubbed even in italian (he can't but be, considering his accent) and sweeps away any concurrent in Italy in the same role. Problems start with the shooting scene at the railway station (half a mile from where I live) which is so over the top it would make Stallone blush. And the lynching scene is too exaggerated as well. The recruiting in the jailhouse for the final confrontation is absurd, but the final shooting is well made so I give it 8\10. A pity because with a more logical development in the screenplay this could have been a classic in the Dirty Harry slot.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #299 : May 09, 2011, 07:48:18 AM »

Highway Racer (1977) I give this 9\10 in spite of the many defects, namely Merli's inept mimicry (you can easily get aware to it in his duets with a very good actor like Sbragia); the average Stallone hackneyed plot; the miscasting of Infanti as the villain (i think he comes off as too soft). But the car chasing scenes are impressive today like they were at the time and make a movie like Driver or Bullitt pale. Remi Julienne is the real star of the movie and I guess this must have been his masterpiece.

: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines