Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 05:37:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  ITALIAN CRIME FILMS: An Overview & Reviews
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ITALIAN CRIME FILMS: An Overview & Reviews  (Read 46619 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: May 12, 2011, 12:57:02 AM »

Shoot First, Die Later (1974) It starts with a great car chase, duplicated by another not as brilliant toward the end. The story it is interesting at the start but then it becomes too contrived: after Merenda delivers the report to the gang to have killed Caprioli should put things aright. Instead they kill Merenda's father, without having taken the chance to kill his son when he delivered the report. With the consequence of having him go for revenge. The confrontation of Merenda and his father is another melodramatic, inconsistent scene. 6\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 14, 2011, 02:50:26 AM »

Live Like a Cop, Die Like a Man (1976) I missed being in it by inches, as the sequence of the Roco bros. hold up was shot less than a 100 ft. from my high school (probably in winter 1975). I was expecting to appear any second. Anyway this is a solid movie, marred by the usual sex scenes that Di Leo was so fond of (for once I could be though a little more indulgent as Sofia Dionisio, not as pretty as her sister is surely a lot more sexier). I only have minor quibbles about it (the dylanesque OST, some of the sets like Celi's office, the actors, especially Porel) but I give it 8\10 anyway even because of the good finale.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 15, 2011, 12:40:54 PM »

Syndicate Sadists (1975)  I find little to criticize here except some too sugary dialogues with the two boys. But it's a minor complaint. I don't know if the transfer was particularly good or it was just because the director of photography's merit but it is a pleasure to watch. Probably this is the best movie I reviewed so far so a 9\10 is in order. 

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 12, 2011, 04:23:21 PM »

I mafiosi (1959) I had never even heard of this movie until it was released on dvd. And rightly so, as it sucks no end. And it's not even about sicilian mafia but about some kind of crime  association finally defeated by the protagonist. 3\10 only because of some landscape (and some western like feature) and some nice looking girl. The good thing is that right after this movie 3 great mafia movies shot in b&w were made: Salvatore Giuliano, Un uomo da bruciare and Mafioso.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 12, 2011, 04:28:35 PM »

Rudeness (1975) I give this movie on the rather improbable blackmail activities of a mafia affiliate, finally lost by his sweet tooth for women, a 5\10 because there so much naked female flesh around. The protagonist played Carlo in  The Godfather.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 14, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »

Gang War in Milan (1973) Most of the merits of the movie I presume must be ascribed to the Franco Enna's screenplay. Enna was one of the best italian mystery writers before starting a movie career. The flick is quite entertaining, though a bit repetitive: it could last half hour more or half hour less without losing or adding anything. I give it 7\10 because, for once, Sabato (as usual, the loser) is tolerable.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 15, 2011, 04:55:06 PM »

The Heroin Busters (!977). Two worthwhile elements in this: the final long chase sequence (great construction site and subway scenes) and the OST by Goblin. That helps it to a 7\10 though the first 2\3 of the movie are quite unoriginal and little entertaining.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 16, 2011, 07:10:14 PM »

Crime Boss (1973) This aims too high and you actually never know what it's aiming at. Some of the plot twist are contrived (all the Hamburg scam just to get in touch with Savalas makes little sense: why kidnap a girl? how to justify the stolen drug to resurface?) and then you have Savalas miscast as a mafia boss (he's dubbed with the inevitable sicialian accent ) and Sabato convincing only from time to time. 5\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 18, 2011, 04:23:46 PM »

Long Arm of the Godfather (1972) The finale it's quite noirish (though playin in open sea and daylight) and the beginning it's good but once the action movies to Africa it loses momentum and some cut would have been welcome. Celi, a sicilian by birth, is dubbed by a non-neapolitan dubber in neapolitan and that's ridiculous. And he's not a godfather, as he handles his business personally. Worth a vision. 6\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 20, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »

La polizia al servizio del cittadino? (1974) Can't find the english title for it. A good thriller with some well made scenes (Pambieri's death, the hospital raid and a couple more). A 10 minute cut would have been beneficial, but it's still a solid 7\10. Great Salerno, great Memmo Carotenuto.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 15, 2011, 01:35:57 PM »

Gangsters (1977) Run of the Mill anti-racket squad flick, with no trace of originality. 5\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 01, 2011, 04:36:10 PM »

Roma l'altra faccia della violenza (The other side of violence)(1976) Unfortunately I saw a fullscreen copy from TV and very bad at that. Still this is one of the best thanx to a tight plot which leaves little respite to viewers. 8\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 08, 2011, 03:16:55 PM »

Merciless Man (1976) I suspect they developed the story as the film was being shot: I didn't understand so much. But this is all based on a fast rhythm and action scenes with little respite (courtesy of Maud Adams and Adolfo Celi's dialogues with Lo Bianco). I don't like the actor from the States: he looks gimpy. I give it 5\10, though most aficionados rating is much superior.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 09, 2011, 03:16:25 PM »

The Bodyguard (1977) How could I ever have passed over this all these years? This is one of the best political thrillers ever, with the added bonus of GMV's performance, very different from his usual ones in those years, much played on nuances and silences. I think that the first part could have been shorn of a 10 minutes, maybe, but I'll have to rewatch the movie to be more precise. Also, the finale is far from unexpected and rather in contradiction with the idea of smartness the V's character conveys throughout the second part. But this second half kept me (yes, jenkins) on tentherhooks like I can't remember when the last time was.This was never released in Italy on vhs and of course on dvd either (there's a couple of foreign vhs editions of the italian version). But the master from italian public television is first-rate. 9\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 09, 2011, 03:23:28 PM »

City Under Siege (1974) Not very original but quite watchable take on policeman Salerno daily vicissitudes. A very good role is played by his journalist friend (director Luciano Salce who, for once, gives the impression that he could give a honest actor performance) who never misses an occasion for an aside on what happens in the plot. Still there's too much preachiness toward the end and some characters look quite fake. 7\10

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM