Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 30, 2022, 09:48:30 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  ITALIAN CRIME FILMS: An Overview & Reviews
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22
: ITALIAN CRIME FILMS: An Overview & Reviews  ( 104052 )
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #135 : June 25, 2007, 04:04:50 PM »

I would've liked to have seen a bit more action though.

Maybe i'm used to seeing all these high octane Maurizio Merli thrillers. ;D

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

« #136 : June 25, 2007, 04:07:45 PM »

Yes, but ASSASSINATION is so well made and Miraglia builds the suspense so well. I love how Silva pretends to be...well that will give away a major plot point. LA would probably like this. The ending is great and I love Silva's last line. It rings very true shortly thereafter.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #137 : June 25, 2007, 04:27:09 PM »

Also, LA POLIZIA RANGAZIA seems to have no recognizeable names nor a familiar director so that may be why this film has been 'swept under the rug' so to speak but yes, I would be most delighted to see this movie.

The director is more famous for his comedies, but in Italy he's more of a name than Castellari. Salerno was very famous in Italy, also for being the voice of Eastwood in his Leones.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #138 : June 26, 2007, 03:18:26 PM »

Being a fan of Salerno in Italian westerns i quite keen on catching LA POLIZIA RANGAZIA O0

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

« #139 : June 26, 2007, 03:37:32 PM »

Banjo, I meant to tell you that Yul Brynner did at least one poliziotteshi entitled DEATH RAGE (US title). QT has the reels for this one.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #140 : June 27, 2007, 04:31:50 AM »

I can imagine that Brynner would've been well suited to this genre.

Will have to do some research.

mezcal
Bandido

« #141 : June 28, 2007, 07:45:05 PM »

i'm disappointed that no-one has commented on Roma 79 by enzo zamboni. I've heard its a classic and features a famous rock bass player.....

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #142 : June 29, 2007, 04:11:59 AM »

I'm curious about this one Mezcal but can't find anything on IMDB.

Do you have a link?

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

« #143 : June 29, 2007, 04:40:25 AM »

i'm disappointed that no-one has commented on Roma 79 by enzo zamboni. I've heard its a classic and features a famous rock bass player.....

Well if you're going to discuss the BAND called ROMA 79, then you're in the wrong thread.

mezcal
Bandido

« #144 : June 29, 2007, 06:33:09 PM »

just my little joke  :)
In spinal tap, the bass player shows the director the 'film he was in', where he plays a hit man who dies before the opening credits. For any non-north americans, a zamboni is the machine that cleans the ice on hockey arenas. I think this just goes to show the level of detail christopher guest and co go to in their films.

Spinal Tap A to Zed
Roma 79: Film made by director Marco Zamboni in 1976 that featured Derek dressed completely in white, playing a trained assassin who is gunned down by the film’s protagonist before the opening credits. Other Zamboni films include "I Siciliani," "Swarthy Like Me," and "Fusilli For Two." Marty DiBergi filmed scenes in which Derek showed a Beta video of his role in the film on the tour bus, but they were cut from the final version of "This is Spinal Tap." (As DiBergi watches Derek’s performance, David and Nigel pull their bass player aside to tell him that he’s "missing something in terms of thrust" in his "power zone," which prompts the zucchini solution.) See Aluminum Foil.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #145 : June 29, 2007, 11:03:50 PM »

"Zamboni" could be translated as "big (pork) gams".

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #146 : June 30, 2007, 02:35:03 AM »

I picked up last week a cheap video of this HIGH CRIME under the MARSEILLES CONNECTION title,and though the tape has seen better days it didn't detract too much from my enjoyment of this brilliant movie which i understand is largely instrumental in inspiring the explosion of Italian crime thrillers.

Franco Nero is Commisioner Belli(not the pen pushing type,definately a street cop) who along with his boss have been for years gathering evidence to nail a large drugs ring.There are two gangs in operation ,and the newer of the two,including a murderous mole from the older gang,is trying to take over the territory.Theres also an insider in the police force.
Belli's boss is murdered ,his family are at serious risk,but he's determined to totally nail these gangsters.Theres car chases galore,excellent fight scenes, long shoot-outs and Nero turns in a superbly convincing performance as Belli.The musical score by the De Angelis brothers is effective and similar to their brilliant score to STREET LAW.

This movie needs a decent dvd release.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

« #147 : June 30, 2007, 04:25:22 AM »

There is/was an Italian release but as yet, no US DVD release.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #148 : June 30, 2007, 08:50:18 AM »

which i understand is largely instrumental in inspiring the explosion of Italian crime thrillers.

It was not.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

« #149 : July 01, 2007, 08:03:26 AM »

MILANO ROVENTE 1973- aka GANG WAR IN MILAN

Antonio Sabato, Phillippe Leroy, Antonio Casagrande, Marisa Mell

Toto Cangemi (Sabato) is a wealthy crime lord who is behind Milan's biggest prostitute ring. The police cannot touch him but lie in wait for him to make just one mistake. Enter Le Capitaine, the Frenchman (Leroy) and a big time dealer in drugs who wants to form an alliance with Cangemi...whether he wants to or not. The Frenchman tries to force Cangemi's hand resulting in Toto bringing in an American gangster, Billy Baroni to take care of the Frenchman. Baroni tries to convince Cangemi that violence is not the answer but "diplomatic violence" will solve the problems. Several of Cangemi's hookers are found murdered but after Le Capitaine kidnaps and tortures Lino, Cangemi's right hand man (in a very excrutiating fashion) Baroni devises a plan to bring "final peace" between all the gangsters.

Umberto Lenzi's first foray into Euro Crime shows an adeptness for the material that is not as prominent in some of his later efforts which is not discounting any of those at all. Here, Lenzi appears to be channeling di Leo in style although the violence is more sleazy than in any of di Leo's films I have seen. There is a lot of torture in this movie and Lenzi proved throughout his career to be a master at depicting sadism onscreen. The double twist ending is slightly reminiscent of the one in di Leo's classic MILANO CALIBRO 9. It features a foreboding final line that hints at more violence lies ahead.

Sabato is very good here. Much better than anything else I've seen him in. He really plays the part well and reminds me of Mario Adorf's performance in LA MALA ODIA (1972). He is a criminal in every sense of the word, but at times, you get the feeling that a decent man resides within him. Coming from nothing, living in the streets then becoming a powerful crime figure he doesn't exhibit the nasty and brutally persistant methods of the Frenchman. Sabato displays genuine concern when his close friend Lino is captured and viciously tortured by the Frenchman and his henchmen.

Sabato also played a cop in Sergio Grieco's supremely nasty VIOLENCE FOR KICKS (1975). And only Grieco could make his good guy come off as a greasy unlikeable thug or just plain unlikeable as in Richard Harrison's character in Grieco's BEAST WITH A GUN (1977).

Phillippe Leroy who also starred as a maniacal cop in the same years BLOODY HANDS OF THE LAW (also starring Kinski), is all the while calm but incredibly ruthless when the need arises. Leroy is quite subdued here as opposed to his manic performance in the above mentioned film.

Casagrande as Baroni is what you would expect a stereotypical American gangster to look like. He has a scar under his left eye and smokes huge cigars. He also pulls the strings of Cangemi's organization. When Toto acts on impulse, Baroni is there to keep him under control only this plays against Toto later in the film.

Marisa Mell as Jasmine is as alluring as ever as Cangemi's woman whom he falls head over heels for. Amazingly, this being a Lenzi movie, she being the main female character, she escapes any indignities towards her character.

The finale is VERY similar to HK director Chang Cheh's style along with its themes of brotherhood among men whether they be good or bad.

Again, a fine first outing for Lenzi. Initially I had put off buying this because there wasn't a Merli or Milian in the film but after seeing it, this no longer matters.

This release from Dagored is in Italian with English subtitles and appears to be sourced from video tape. The packaging is very nice but the film presentation reeks of bootleg. No matter, the print is decent enough and it least it's available.

: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines