Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 03:51:41 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  why does Blondie keep tuco alive?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: why does Blondie keep tuco alive?  (Read 10992 times)
caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2002, 04:33:00 PM »

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't Angel Eyes tell Blondie where the cemetery is?  In the bit after Blondie is told he is released.  IF so then why does he go to tuco again.  Of course i am guessing that i have got this seriously wrong, or we have found the sexual orientation of Blondie, he just can't keep away from tuco

I hate signatures, so naf, but i had to put this up for a week or so to show my respect

r.i.p. joe strummer.  great man, great band
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 04:48:33 PM »

Angel Eyes doesn't tell Blondie the name of the cemetary or its location, he only tells Blondie that he has gotten that information from Tuco.  Remember, under the bridge, Tuco shares the location from Blondie.  In one of the deleted scenes, after leaving Brother Ramirez', Tuco remarks that the cemetary is in Texas, no more.

jouissance
Bandido

in the beginning there was light

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2002, 09:40:57 PM »

also, remember the exchange between tuco and blondie (after they reunite and angel eyes and his boys are waiting for them). tuco at first is happy that he want's to be HIS partner (like eastwood ever needed a partner) but then eastwood explains that angel eyes is not alone. tuco realizes it isn't his friendship but the alliance he needs. the man with no name only likes tuco more simply because he can better anticipate how he thinks. i think that is the main reason for eastwoods behavior.

caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2002, 04:35:32 AM »

once again my concentration abandoned me in one of the crunch points in a movie.  Thanks guys

I hate signatures, so naf, but i had to put this up for a week or so to show my respect

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 11:54:22 AM »

Blondie does not kill Tuco for the same reason that he doesn't let him die at the end of the movie, when his hanging... He likes him.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 04:30:19 AM »

yeah I suppose, it seems the only reason, although Tuco doesn't give him much reason to like him, apart from the fact that he is useless.  Also how can you like someone who puts you through the torture that tuco puts blondie through.  Then again blondie did the same, nearly

SEB
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2003, 11:17:44 PM »

after all their adventure they can not ne nothing else the  friends and i think tuco like blondie as hard as he could love somebody but it s not in is nature and blondie know it .
but they are difinately friend and when they shoot  angel eyes that prove it.

i dont think tuco would had kill blondie at the end

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2003, 03:43:10 PM »

Well If memory serves me right without popping the DVD in, Tuco draws and trys to shoot at Angel Eyes.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2003, 06:25:30 AM »

blondie to tuco who's single handedly taken on the task of eliminating angles eyes gang. suddenly from his side apears blondie w/ an inside kina  ammused look as he studys tuco.
"were you gona to die alone ?"
their on again off again alliance is back in force.
angle eyes to his gang: "watch out ! theres two of em !
they'll come lookin' for us." 2 against  a 5 man gang ? not counting angle eyes who's no slouch w/ a gun. being evil he
knows what the outcome will be and disappears leaving tuco and blondie with a note.
tuco tries to read." see you later idi-idi ?? "
blondie to tuco" IDIOTS ! it's for you."

tuco: "god is on our side because he hates the yanks too"!!
blondie:" god's not on our side because he hates idiots also".

Saucer Eyed Murder
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2003, 09:50:34 PM »

Obviously no one but those who worked in the screenplay could give you an authoritative answer but here’s what I think.

When Blondie leaves Tuco in the dessert he’s letting Fate decide whether Tuco lives or dies. At this point Blondie thinks Tuco deserves to be judged but he’s not capable of making that judgment himself so he leaves it up to Fate. This assumes Blondie doesn’t know if Tuco will be able to make it out of the dessert alive but I think that’s a reasonable assumption being Blondie would’ve died himself in the dessert had Fate not interceded on his behalf.

Then when Blondie overhears Tuco talking to his brother in the monastery, I think Blondie’s opinion of Tuco changes and from then on he sees Tuco as capable of redemption. Remember, Tuco’s the “ugly” not the “bad.” When Tuco’s justifying himself to his brother, we see that Tuco became a bandit largely out of necessity and even his brother recognizes this and feels remorse for threatening to shun Tuco.

It’s further reinforced in the next scene when Blondie and Tuco are riding away from the monastery in the carriage. Tuco’s lying about how well things went between he and his brother but this also shows that Tuco cares about his brother’s approval. You can see Blondie processing Tuco's words as he talks and then finally handing Tuco his cigar in a gesture of empathy.

Also, you can see that Tuco has a well of morality, however distorted by circumstance it may have come, by how he constantly crosses himself when people die. He’s not the cold-blooded mercenary that Angel Eyes is. He's a mess, but he's no outright evil.

Going with this theme, it’s possible that Blondie is toying with Tuco at the end (in the film’s world good is fairly relative – remember Blondie has been stealing the government’s money for some time) but I think it’s more reasonable to think he’s trying to jar Tuco’s moral compass by making Tuco confront the self-destructiveness of his greed.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2003, 04:50:06 AM »

Nice moniker! lol, and a good disection of Tuco Ramirez, Bravo!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Brendan
Road Apple

One of the best.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2003, 10:14:09 PM »

It could've been a scare tactic as well. he wanted to scare Tuco into thinking that Blondie is not someone you should mess with and to show Tuco what he can do when he gets the upper hand. It sticks with the Man with No Name character and shooting him down, may have just been a sign that he does sort of like Tuco and sort of respects him enough to let him live.

You ever think how the most minor decision can change the entire direction of your life?
KERMIT
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 01:30:11 AM »

Obviously no one but those who worked in the screenplay could give you an authoritative answer but here’s what I think.

When Blondie leaves Tuco in the dessert he’s letting Fate decide whether Tuco lives or dies. At this point Blondie thinks Tuco deserves to be judged but he’s not capable of making that judgment himself so he leaves it up to Fate. This assumes Blondie doesn’t know if Tuco will be able to make it out of the dessert alive but I think that’s a reasonable assumption being Blondie would’ve died himself in the dessert had Fate not interceded on his behalf.

Then when Blondie overhears Tuco talking to his brother in the monastery, I think Blondie’s opinion of Tuco changes and from then on he sees Tuco as capable of redemption. Remember, Tuco’s the “ugly” not the “bad.” When Tuco’s justifying himself to his brother, we see that Tuco became a bandit largely out of necessity and even his brother recognizes this and feels remorse for threatening to shun Tuco.

It’s further reinforced in the next scene when Blondie and Tuco are riding away from the monastery in the carriage. Tuco’s lying about how well things went between he and his brother but this also shows that Tuco cares about his brother’s approval. You can see Blondie processing Tuco's words as he talks and then finally handing Tuco his cigar in a gesture of empathy.

Also, you can see that Tuco has a well of morality, however distorted by circumstance it may have come, by how he constantly crosses himself when people die. He’s not the cold-blooded mercenary that Angel Eyes is. He's a mess, but he's no outright evil.

Going with this theme, it’s possible that Blondie is toying with Tuco at the end (in the film’s world good is fairly relative – remember Blondie has been stealing the government’s money for some time) but I think it’s more reasonable to think he’s trying to jar Tuco’s moral compass by making Tuco confront the self-destructiveness of his greed.
at first , in the deasert tuco was franticly trying to keep blondie alive.  i was moseying along in the back threads and found SAUSER EYED MURDER'S description of blondie & tuco's relationship. it seems blondie made tuco stand on a  cross that was about to fall through the more tuco struggles and curses blondie while gazing @ the coins beneath his feet, w/ noose ensemble.  Tongue  again fate wills out in the end and the cross held until the final rope  cut  & tuco deliver's his greatest & last  insult to blondie's deaf ears.  ciao/arrivederci.   Wink

« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 01:50:42 AM by KERMIT » Logged
johnk
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2003, 01:21:14 PM »

Blondie,needs Tuco to help him dispose of Sentenza's
men.I think he considers he can get the better of Tuco
then he can from forming an alliance with Sentenza.

cheem_2000
Road Apple

'With the Wind!'

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2003, 03:05:47 PM »

Blondie,needs Tuco to help him dispose of Sentenza's
men.I think he considers he can get the better of Tuco
then he can from forming an alliance with Sentenza.

Yes I agree with this line of thinking. Even though Eastwood hands Tuco the cigar when Tuco is pretending that he and his brother get on, you can see by Eastwood's looks that he is not empathising with him but looking at him as if to say 'Pull the other one!' or 'Do you expect me to believe that?' This scene, touching though it is, The Good is merely showing the audience Tuco's ability to make a big story. I'll even go as far to say that handing him the cigar was Clint humouring Tuco-let-me -play- along- with- your -story- for-a- while look. What do you think?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM