Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 08:22:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  It would really help if you could tell me...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It would really help if you could tell me...  (Read 4824 times)
English Bob
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2004, 10:50:09 AM »

...Who exactly wrote the reviews of OUATITW and OUATIA on this site. See, Iím making a couple of references to them in a piece of work Iím doing, so ideally I need to provide the author's name. Whoever tells me gets 100 gold pieces*, as well as my gratitude**.

*This is a lie.
**This isnít.

DjArcadian
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama! No, you're a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 04:39:23 PM »

Andrew Hyatt. I was the second owner of this website and obtained it from Andrew when he didn't want to run it anymore (the exact circumstances as to how this happened I've forgotten... it was some 6 or 7 years ago). At some point two or three years ago I didn't have the time to manage this site anymore and gave it to the current owner.

DjArcadian
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama! No, you're a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 04:40:31 PM »

I did a quick search and I believe this in Andrew's current site.

http://thehyatts.net/andy/

English Bob
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 03:51:12 AM »

Much obliged.

andrewhyatt
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 01:53:37 PM »

Hi English Bob...

I happened to catch this thread.  I'm curious to know what the "piece of work" is.   Let me know if you can, and good luck with it!

English Bob
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 04:57:58 AM »

The piece of work is nothing exciting Iím afraid, but nonethelessÖ
I donít know where you are in the world so I donít know if youíre familiar with the British education system. Iím currently in my second year of A-levels (over here thatís in college. If youíre in America though, I think what we call college, you call university. Basically Iím in the one above secondary school Ė or high school if youíre American?), about 30% of which is coursework. Half of that coursework is an ĎAuteur focus projectí Ė In which taking an auteur of your own choosing you have to prepare a focus question and then answer it in the form of an essay. Iíve just completed the second draught, so the piece is (hopefully) nearly complete. Now, since the thing hasnít been marked or moderated I canít really stick it online, but if youíre interested (personally, after reading the above Iíd be asleep by now) the auteur Iíve chosen is (obviously) Sergio Leone. The focus question I based the work on was:
ĎIs Sergio Leone identified by the genre he is most famously associated with, than with an identifiable auteur signature?í
Hence the polls in the subjects below this (by way of primary research).
I made reference to your pieces on OUATITW and OUATIA when I was referring to Leoneís personal relationship with the Western as a genre, and also his dream of making the film that was OUATIA.
Like I say, itís nothing exciting. So, as compensation, and in the interest of being value for money (what money?), I will now give you the one finest piece of advice I have discovered in my time working in film studies: If you like a film, if you really like a film, if it means a lot to you, then FOR GODíS SAKE DONíT STUDY IT IN COLLEGE. Youíre probably above the age where you would have to do that anyway. Consider yourself lucky. This auteur project covers all the Ďbig sixí Leone films, so itís not too bad, but in my first year I based a project entirely around AFOD. Now I love AFOD - and at first I enjoyed writing about it. But when youíve watched that film time after time after time, analysing it and taking it apart in every way possible, all the magic it contained when you first saw it farts away to nothing. Luckily, if you just leave off watching and (particularly) studying it for a while, then the film begins to regain its appeal. But by Christ it took a while until I could enjoy AFOD again.

KERMIT
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 08:22:29 AM »

The piece of work is nothing exciting Iím afraid, but nonethelessÖ
I donít know where you are in the world so I donít know if youíre familiar with the British education system. Iím currently in my second year of A-levels (over here thatís in college. If youíre in America though, I think what we call college, you call university. Basically Iím in the one above secondary school Ė or high school if youíre American?), about 30% of which is coursework. Half of that coursework is an ĎAuteur focus projectí Ė In which taking an auteur of your own choosing you have to prepare a focus question and then answer it in the form of an essay. Iíve just completed the second draught, so the piece is (hopefully) nearly complete. Now, since the thing hasnít been marked or moderated I canít really stick it online, but if youíre interested (personally, after reading the above Iíd be asleep by now) the auteur Iíve chosen is (obviously) Sergio Leone. The focus question I based the work on was:
ĎIs Sergio Leone identified by the genre he is most famously associated with, than with an identifiable auteur signature?í
Hence the polls in the subjects below this (by way of primary research).
I made reference to your pieces on OUATITW and OUATIA when I was referring to Leoneís personal relationship with the Western as a genre, and also his dream of making the film that was OUATIA.
Like I say, itís nothing exciting. So, as compensation, and in the interest of being value for money (what money?), I will now give you the one finest piece of advice I have discovered in my time working in film studies: If you like a film, if you really like a film, if it means a lot to you, then FOR GODíS SAKE DONíT STUDY IT IN COLLEGE. Youíre probably above the age where you would have to do that anyway. Consider yourself lucky. This auteur project covers all the Ďbig sixí Leone films, so itís not too bad, but in my first year I based a project entirely around AFOD. Now I love AFOD - and at first I enjoyed writing about it. But when youíve watched that film time after time after time, analysing it and taking it apart in every way possible, all the magic it contained when you first saw it farts away to nothing. Luckily, if you just leave off watching and (particularly) studying it for a while, then the film begins to regain its appeal. But by Christ it took a while until I could enjoy AFOD again.
keep on truckin' ENGLISH BOB. you're on the right trail
my friend.  Grin

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 10:04:50 AM »

....But by Christ it took a while until I could enjoy AFOD again.

BLASPHEMY !   Angry

Just kidding  Wink  I could see how repeated forced viewings of FOD could drive one completely insane.  Don't get me started on the Baby Jesus.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Andrew Hyatt
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 09:51:04 PM »

Interesting stuff.  I took a film course in college and studied Kubrick's  film "Paths of Glory" and in the process learned a lot about it, much more than I had suspected.   But I did try to avoid my favorite films for that because I didn't want to lose the "forest" of a film by only looking at the "trees".

BTW, you may notice that this is not the same login as my post above.  I had forgotten my login for that post and created a new account, but luckily I remembered it now.  Not much difference, though, I don't post as often as I should.

Jagd
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2004, 08:53:40 AM »

I came to this site after searching for material on my 'auteur' project on Leeone, so it was a nice surprise to find someone else who's doing him! Unfortunatley, i don't know about you but i have only a little time left before my project has to be completed, so i really wish i had done some internet research earlier, as i've found quite a lot of helpful material here.

English Bob
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2004, 06:50:02 AM »

Sorry about the late reply Ė I only get access to the net in college (ie: no weekends). Hey, thanks for the replies, people. I appreciate the support.
Jagd: Yeah, you donít have very long left! Since you probably wonít have time to do a lot more draughts, my advice to you is to ensure that in your answer you INCLUDE A PROPER DESCRIPTION OF LEONEíS SIGNATURE. Whatever your focus question, youíve got to do it. I had to completely re-do the second draught after I neglected to include a really good explanation of Leoneís signature.
Anyway, good luck.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM