Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 10:04:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Socorro Sequence
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Socorro Sequence  (Read 11830 times)
third lanark
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2004, 04:45:14 AM »

Hello all,
I am new to this discussion board on my favourite film director.
I always presumed I knew everything there was about Leone films, but I must admit to never having heard of this Socorro sequence in The Good The Bad and the Ugly.
Does anyone know what it was about?
Thanks Cool

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 01:34:21 PM »

If you get the new DVD there is a reconstruction of the  Socorro sequence as one of the extras!It is the sequence from which the often seen still of Clint in bed with a girl comes from,but it's basically more of Tuco hunting for Blondie,who escapes him.again.

El Bon
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 03:09:20 PM »

I f you have the complete soundtrack, there is a still of Tuco in the booklet on the right (wearing sombrero) which comes from this sequence.

mortimerforever
Gunslinger

when you have to shoot shoot don''''t talk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 11:14:05 PM »

okay a confederate spokesperson is standing on the train platform speaking for the south. Blondie is in bed with a girl[Silvana Bacci] and Tuco emerges from out of the station. After much persuasion, Tuco robs the town , places the money in his sombrero and leaves it on the platform. He demands of to know where Blondie is. The bartender doesn't know. Meanwhile Blondie's girl returns the money, placing on of blondie's trademark cigars in the hat instead allowing him to escape. Tuco realises and stubs the cigar out on the bartenders arm.

this scene would come in after angeleyes visits the fort and when finishes the on the trail sequence would start.

have you seen half a cigar and a tall blond guy? Huh

tuco ramirez number01 fan.
''''''''two kinds of spurs my friend.''''''''
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 05:30:19 PM »

Are there any images available other than the ones below of the Socorro sequence? I also have 3 pics of Clint in bed with Silvana Bacchi but didn't upload them.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 11:08:57 PM »

Not quite in response to your question but.....
If it is still existed and I had a million dollars I would pay to see that goddamn scene. Why does a few stills make me feel this way?

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 11:33:53 PM »

Not quite in response to your question but.....
If it is still existed and I had a million dollars I would pay to see that goddamn scene. Why does a few stills make me feel this way?

I'm with you. I strongly disagree with those who complain about the movie being either marginally over overly long with the deleted scenes reinserted. I'd love to watch another hour of footage if it existed, but I'll settle for another few minutes of the socorro sequence and cannon duel.

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 11:43:29 PM »

There is something about those 4 photos of Tuco, I don't know what it is. Maybe tantalising is the word? No, it's more than that.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 05:56:30 AM »

Yea I'd want to watch it too.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 10:50:42 AM »

Someday, the technology might make it possible (I'm thinking of the way Disney made Bambi 2).

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 04:18:07 PM »

I guess it's plausible these lost elements may pop up. It's happened before with older films (e.g. King Kong) where scenes that were considered lost were found decades later. If they're "lost", maybe SL's family and Alberto Grimaldi need to look a bit harder. Tongue If they were stolen, it's about time the bastard(s) share them with the rest of us.  Angry If they were indeed lost or destroyed...I'd rather live in denial.  Cry

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 05:11:58 PM »

I would love to see this footage, but because it never was cut into any print (like the grotto scene) I think it's pretty unlikely. But, stranger things have happened, like outtakes surviving from fod, a much more low budget/zero expectations film...so who knows...maybe the footage is sitting somewhere in France, since they had the only footage used in a trailer...

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 12:20:15 AM »

At the very least I'd like to see the original script describing these scenes. Also, Eli Wallach has been known to discuss some of his memories during shooting, such as his near decapitation, drinking acid, as well as riding on the startled horse for a mile. I'd really like to hear his account of these 2 scenes since there aren't many people who are still alive who can shed more light on them.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 04:54:59 AM »

I have a longer description of this scene in the German SW book by Bruckner.
I also would like to see this scene, but I never wanted it to become part of the film for the same reasons I don't like the grotto scene to be in the film. I'm glad the scene was cut out, the film is better without it.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 10:28:46 AM »

I have a longer description of this scene in the German SW book by Bruckner.
I also would like to see this scene, but I never wanted it to become part of the film for the same reasons I don't like the grotto scene to be in the film. I'm glad the scene was cut out, the film is better without it.

Would you be be willing to post an English translation of his description here? It would be much appreciated.

I came across Hanley's description of the sequence earlier but it is incomplete:

It is quite a long scene - I will give a full description of it in my upcoming book (www.gbu-book.com). Basically, after the scene in which Angel Eyes visits a ruined fort (a scene cut from the American release), a pole is seen being raised above a platform in the town square of Socorro (a small town in New Mexico) - it appears to be a gallows but in fact it is a pole for the Confederate flag. A small crowd gathers around the platform and then a group of gentry and a pompous looking nobleman appear. The pompous man starts to deliver a patriotic speech. He is essentially trying to recruit people for the Sibley campaign. Meanwhile, Blondie is upstairs with a woman in a hotel room adjacent to the town square. He can hear the speaker, but tells the woman to close the window. At some point, a dark and glassy eye appears in the knothole of a fence (you can see this sequence in the French trailer on the extras disk of the extended GBU DVDs).  A bit later, a number of men enrol and a column with the volunteers marches out of town. The crowd slowly disperses. Tuco comes out from his hiding and goes to the now empty town square. He places his sombrero on the ground and demands that the people place a contribution into it.  Tuco drops a half dollar in the hat, so that the locals get the message. The pompous speaker comes out and demands to know what is happening and wants to know for whom the money is. Tuco says that it is for himself . . . the speaker is outraged and bends down to pick up the hat, but in the same moment Tuco pushes him to the ground. In a more rapid and swift action Tuco grabs the speaker by the ankles and raises him upside-down above the hat. He shakes the speaker, and a few coins fall out of the speaker's pockets into the hat . . .. etc

I'd like to read more details about what happens later in the sequence.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM