Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 09:26:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Stunt Man (1980)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stunt Man (1980)  (Read 2331 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2008, 04:32:50 PM »

The Stunt Man - 8/10 - This FINALLY arrived from Netflix today! Afro A very good film, although not a masterpiece, which makes great use of every conceivable fourth-wall breaking cinematic sleight-of-hand imaginable, to generally good effect. The movie drags a bit in spots but the action scenes are well-done, particularly the brilliant climax. Mr. O'Toole has a fun scenery-chewing role as the director but the real star is the very talented Steve Railsback, perhaps the ultimate "Whatever happened to...?" actor, who carries the film with an alternately humorous and intense portrayal of a confused man caught in an improbable situation. Barbara Hershey is quite lovely as well. Lots of memorable scenes and lines (O'Toole's tirade after an assistant yells "cut", Railsback explaining the crime he committed to Hershey, and the aforementioned climax/ending being my favorites) more than make up for the slow parts.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:34:42 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 05:56:28 PM »

The Stunt Man - 8/10 - This FINALLY arrived from Netflix today! Afro A very good film, although not a masterpiece, which makes great use of every conceivable fourth-wall breaking cinematic sleight-of-hand imaginable, to generally good effect. The movie drags a bit in spots but the action scenes are well-done, particularly the brilliant climax. Mr. O'Toole has a fun scenery-chewing role as the director but the real star is the very talented Steve Railsback, perhaps the ultimate "Whatever happened to...?" actor, who carries the film with an alternately humorous and intense portrayal of a confused man caught in an improbable situation. Barbara Hershey is quite lovely as well. Lots of memorable scenes and lines (O'Toole's tirade after an assistant yells "cut", Railsback explaining the crime he committed to Hershey, and the aforementioned climax/ending being my favorites) more than make up for the slow parts.
An entertaining film, certainly, but one I never feel the need to return to. I second your endorsement of Mr. Railsback, and I find him even better in Helter Skelter and Lifeforce ("She's destroyed worlds!"). Did he give up acting to sell insurance or something? (In fact, he's been working steadily in films and TV, as the IMDb will tell you. It's just that no one has been noticing.)

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 06:50:39 AM »

I will always remember Railsback for his guest spot as Duane Barry on The X-Files, myself.

Panache
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 10:58:52 AM »

Railback was the agent in In th line of Fire, and he did a bit in Devils Rejects too latly(along wit Clint buddy Geof Lewis

'nother Texas boy i always like seing in stuff is Powers Booth always cool Cool hes doing SinCity seq. right now, i hear

http://www.freewebs.com/fistful-of-leone/

« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 03:34:53 PM by Panache » Logged
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 04:34:03 AM »

The Stunt Man (1980) - somewhere between 6.5 and 7 out of 10

There was a certain point in the movie (somewhere near 70% of the picture's running time, I think) that almost fooled me to believe all that preceded was really worth it, like there's something big coming from around the corner. It's when they try to maximally polarize Eli Cross, making us believe he's the real bad guy, using poor Cameron. And it works pretty well too. At least until they try to serve you the shameful story of Cameron's mom screwing the ice cream guy (or what was it, don't remember exactly, it's been 3 weeks since I saw it). It's an interesting picture, but nothing exceptional. Much of the actors did a good job. Except maybe for Peter O'Toole, who's a bit too colorful for my taste, and Barbara Hershey, who's very annoying, if cute. Steve Railsback's the man. Oh, pardon me, ''the stunt man''. (Whatever happened to him?)

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 10:13:26 AM »

The Stunt Man (1980) - somewhere between 6.5 and 7 out of 10

There was a certain point in the movie (somewhere near 70% of the picture's running time, I think) that almost fooled me to believe all that preceded was really worth it, like there's something big coming from around the corner. It's when they try to maximally polarize Eli Cross, making us believe he's the real bad guy, using poor Cameron. And it works pretty well too. At least until they try to serve you the shameful story of Cameron's mom screwing the ice cream guy (or what was it, don't remember exactly, it's been 3 weeks since I saw it). It's an interesting picture, but nothing exceptional. Much of the actors did a good job. Except maybe for Peter O'Toole, who's a bit too colorful for my taste, and Barbara Hershey, who's very annoying, if cute. Steve Railsback's the man. Oh, pardon me, ''the stunt man''. (Whatever happened to him?)

I liked it a bit more than you but I did find certain parts of it hard to buy. O'Toole is fun but it's far from his best performance, Railsback is much better. I think the action scenes were really clever though.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 12:44:15 PM »

I think the action scenes were really clever though.

Yessir.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM