Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 08:48:43 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Scenes Common to Spaghetti Westerns
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Scenes Common to Spaghetti Westerns  ( 8024 )
rddesq
Road Apple

One name is as good as another.

« : April 23, 2004, 01:48:11 PM »

Having watched about 15 spagehtti westerns including all of Leone's I have seen several common scenes which appear in many of the movies.  I will list them here and if you know of more you can add to the list:

1.  Hero/Protagonist walks into hotel to get a room.  All rooms are full or best room is booked.  Hero takes room anyway and kicks occupant out.  This scene is in FFDM (I think)  and Campaneros.

2.  Hero confronts bad guy playing poker.  This scene is in Mannaja - a Man Called Blade, Death Rides a Horse and at least one of the Leone trilogy movies.

3.  Hero demonstrates extremely accurate shooting prowess to the point of impossibilty.  Hat shooting scene in FFDM, potato shooting scene in The Great Silence.

4.  Hero gets gun hand injured, burned or mangled.  FFD, The Great Silence.

5.  Extreme and inventive torture scenes.   Buried up to neck with eye lids pinned open (Mannaja - A Man Called Blade), Buried up to neck and trampeled by horses (Campaneros),  a  hungry rat or other vermin trapped in an overturned basket that is attached to persons stomach (Campaneros).

When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

« #1 : April 24, 2004, 02:35:12 AM »

Good stuff rddesq!

You can add:

6.   The main characters are all obsessively pursuing a large sum of cash.  Case of gold coins, big bank job, big bounty on a gang, etc.

7.   Some woman needs a healthy and vigorous b*tchslapping at some point.  Advancing the plot is irrelevant.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

« #2 : April 24, 2004, 06:19:10 AM »

i would say the most common point is the anti-hero (the hero is rarely morally a hero) gets beaten up or mutilated and feels even more compelled to strike back
This is in

FOD (clint)
FFDM (clint and lvc)
GBU (tuco)
OUATITW (deleted scene involving Bronson and the flashback as well)
Great Silence
Django
and others that i cant remember right now

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
rddesq
Road Apple

One name is as good as another.

« #3 : May 11, 2004, 02:51:36 PM »

Watched Keoma.  Pretty good and far better than Four of the Apocolypse which is supposed to be something of a remake/ripoff.  Keoma worth watching but Four of the Apocolypse.  Also, Keoma contains the stock "no room at the inn scene".  Keoma walks in to the bar/hotel and demands a room for the woman he just saved.  Bar keep says no rooms available.  Keoma makes room available.

When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
KERMIT

« #4 : May 11, 2004, 11:22:43 PM »

i keep seeing tuco stumbling off the swinging bridge and almost straight into a gunshop that has every latest revolver.  the way tuco quickly asembles his new bad-ass revolver like a sergeon.  gets some good liquor, a new hat, and $200.00 cash.  he's ready to seek his revenge.  all after a 70 mile hike in the desert.

« : May 11, 2004, 11:43:25 PM KERMIT »
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

« #5 : May 12, 2004, 03:50:53 AM »

A common feature is the elaborate facial expressions...

- that often expresses meaning instead of spoken words. In line with the scene described above, when Tuco's making a gun. And the face of the owner of the shop - very expressive, and very funny - like when Tuco sticks the "closed" sign in his mouth.
The "facial focus" is all over Spag. Westerns - so we get to see all the dirt, all the filth, all the unshaven butality in its entire uncivilised splendor. And the numbness, the indifference, the complete lack of empathy.

Still, we suspect, something is going on on the inside - an element of Leone that increased with each new film, culminating, of course, with OUATIA. The last movie of the master ends with a face expressing.. what? Thats up to us, and that's the essence of the development of Leone.

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« #6 : May 12, 2004, 04:29:13 AM »

i keep seeing tuco stumbling off the swinging bridge and almost straight into a gunshop that has every latest revolver.  the way tuco quickly asembles his new bad-ass revolver like a sergeon.  gets some good liquor, a new hat, and $200.00 cash.  he's ready to seek his revenge.  all after a 70 mile hike in the desert.

That is a masterful summary of that scene. "assembling his bad-ass revolver like a surgeon" - brilliant.

It's class.
KERMIT

« #7 : May 15, 2004, 01:50:06 AM »

8.  shopkeeper gets "closed" sign shoved in his mouth   by tuco exiting store.  ;D
       frank gets a harmonica shoved in his mouth at the point of dyin'.  :P

« : May 15, 2004, 03:01:53 PM KERMIT »
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

« #8 : May 15, 2004, 05:32:00 AM »

9. An old man who is worse dubbed than the rest of the bunch.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

« #9 : May 15, 2004, 01:07:07 PM »

also a barber and his kid who get stuff shoved in their mouths

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

« #10 : May 16, 2004, 02:51:50 AM »

A Bandit
(Good or bad, and yes... sometimes ugly) at some point in the film has to laugh uncontrollably. Normally exaggerated by the dubbing, followed by a some bad editing to the next scene.  

Examples:

Indio was so good at the above he was caught on his wanted poster mid session.

Tony Musante in The Mercenary, 'Come on Paco it wasn't that funny'  ::)

Check Django for General Rodriquez's laughing bandit orgy.  ;D

« : May 16, 2004, 03:01:35 AM The Smoker »

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« #11 : May 16, 2004, 03:14:51 AM »

Ooh another one...

10. Someone has a noose put round their neck and put on top of an object, so that they stay alive as long as they keep their balance:

- Tuco on the cross in GBU
- Harmonica and his brother in OUATITW
- Yod on the barrel in Companeros

It's class.
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

« #12 : May 17, 2004, 12:01:58 AM »

Right on the spot with the uncontrollable and hysterical laughing - We see the bandits faces one after one, and they laugh hysterically - theres a lot of that in FFDM - when the gang beat up Mortimer and Clint for instance..

But I also remember when seeing the Wild Bunch: take it easy you guys, you're loosing me here...

Maybe, just maybe, this is also a common feature in the US Westerns - to signify the weird, the out of control and slightly psychopahtic - the opposites of a cool hero. In westerns the hero rarely utters such level of feeling at all. And the Wild Bunch is after all.... wild.

KERMIT

« #13 : May 18, 2004, 02:43:31 AM »

11.  on his wanted poster,  the madman il indio is caught in an uncontrolled mid-laugh, with his head thrown back.
HA-ha-ha-ha...HA-ha-ha-ha-HA-...ect.
{why is the madman il indio laughing  on his wanted poster ? }

tuco's wanted poster, the sherrif rolls out in front of  his face after blondie turns him in the first time, has  this YOU MEAN ME ? look of guilt written all over his face.
{why does tuco look so sheepishly guilty on his wanted poster}

wanted posters seem to give away character's persona.

« : May 18, 2004, 02:56:57 AM KERMIT »
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

« #14 : May 18, 2004, 02:58:59 AM »

Good point about the wanted posters, never actually thought about the fact that it gives away the characters persona.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines