Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2018, 09:24:26 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  James ELLROY
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: James ELLROY  ( 3857 )
COLONNA
Bandido

I'm his son

« : December 23, 2003, 03:25:49 AM »

Do you like James ELLROY ?  I'm a fan ( I was a fan,  because the Kennedys story is a little bit boring)
But after OUATIA I imagine that Sergio would have been a great Director for Black Dahlia and even L.A Confidential .
Psychotics like Max or junkies like Noodles componed  usual Ellroy word .Who loves double-cross situations.'

What your opinion ?

Time is on my side...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : December 23, 2003, 04:42:59 PM »

I do like James Ellroy, LA Confidential reminds me of James M. Cain's style of writting, "The Black Dahlia" and "The Big Nowhere" are good to, in fact Ellroy is the most recent author in my favs of the noir/mystery/hardboiled genre.

Here is my short list:

Raymond Chandler - the books are way better than any of the movies that were based on them. He has a visual writting style that I like, very descriptive, akin to lifting up a rock and seeing what crawls out.  LA-California and west coast noir .

James M. Cain -  His sentences are like one two punches that don't stop. "The Postman Always Rings Twice" and "Double Indemnity" are classics.

John D. MacDonald - A lot of his stories are about doulble cross and sweet revenge and take place in many different locals, The Executioners was made into "Cape Fear". But his Travis McGee series that takes place in South Florida were the best. I saw one low budget movie made in 1970 starring Rod Taylor based on "Darker Than Amber" that was really done well its a guilty pleasure of mine. A second movie based on  "The Empty Copper Sea" was a TV movie with Sam Elliot, I've never seen it though.

Ross MacDonald - Back to the LA and California underworld, "The Drowning Pool" and "Harper" starring Paul Newman were based on some of his Lew Archer stories.

Mickey Spillane - Mike Hammer series, these stories are ok, not enough decription or explicitness but not bad. Good action, Armand Asante was good in "I, The Jury", based on the book of the same title.

Other authors like Dasiell Hammett, for example are too diologue based, its all talk, talk, talk, and no visuals,  visuals are what get me in the mood and into the bowels of a story. Now, I for some reason I can't get into Elmore Leonard, don't know why, maybe I just haven't picked up the right novel of his yet., and Carl Hiasssen who does the South Florida shtick seems to be a bit too much formulaic stretching the genera and reality a bit too much. Its almost as if is publishers is saying add some more outrageous charaters since it worked the last time, lol.

« : December 08, 2016, 04:35:22 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
COLONNA
Bandido

I'm his son

« #2 : December 24, 2003, 03:43:09 AM »

Good job Cigar Joe! I do share  your selection.
With a special emotion for Mike Hammer the tough guy (in fact I believed that I was alone in this world to remember him)... and  I dont like Elmore Leonard who is overrated

But also:

Ed Mac Bain (by the way in OUATIW  Frailing declares  that the name Mac Bain is choosen as a tribute to this author) and all the Police Office 87

Jim Thomson: remember "The Gateway"

Joseph Hansen and his Gay Detective !

Tony Hillerman: Navajos and Hopis and Zunis...

Another novel author (sorry I forgot his name) invented "the no-name Detective"  

In Europe we have Montalban in Spain ( a very good writer)  and Harvey in England

Time is on my side...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : December 24, 2003, 05:19:44 AM »

I'm familiar with Hillerman, I think "Haunted Mesa" was one of his, no?, and I've seen The Mac Bain novels, but but never sampled them yet.

Find out who the no name detective author is if you can.

I remember reading some books written by a Swedish writer can't remember his name but "The Laughing Policeman" was the title and a movie was made of the same title.

I've allways wondered if Europe had a hard boiled tradition, I prefer the seamy side to my mystery novels. and would like to sample some.

It seams as if European Detectives are either Lords or Grandmothers, lol.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Frank
Chicken Thief

Now that you've told him my name....

« #4 : December 24, 2003, 07:42:11 AM »

Among current authors, I really like Michael Connelly, who's main character is Harry Bosch a homicide dick out of the Hollywood division.  Bosch, like most crime fiction policemen is always in trouble with his bosses and was demoted from RHD.  I think there are about 8 novels in the series with the first being Black Echo.

COLONNA
Bandido

I'm his son

« #5 : December 24, 2003, 09:56:50 AM »

Frank, I don't know Connelly,I will try. Thanks.

Cigar Joe , Bill Pronzini invented a no-name hero

About Lords and Grand Mothers it's a British Speciality.
There are others countries in Europe , you know.   ;D
But I agree with you: Hard-Boiled Guy is a pure US creation (Dash Hammett).

In Europe we prefer Police Officers , may be why our private detectives are specialized in adultery .

By the way a great English author ,Robin Cook who lived some years in France ,got two novels adapted for movie:  "the devil's home on leave" (with JP Marielle) and "How the dead are living"   (With Charlotte Rampling and Michel Serrault)

Time is on my side...
COLONNA
Bandido

I'm his son

« #6 : January 10, 2004, 03:53:03 PM »

Among current authors, I really like Michael Connelly, who's main character is Harry Bosch a homicide dick out of the Hollywood division.  Bosch, like most crime fiction policemen is always in trouble with his bosses and was demoted from RHD.  I think there are about 8 novels in the series with the first being Black Echo.

I red Angels Flight last night. Very good book.Thanks Franck :)

Time is on my side...
guybrush
Bandido

« #7 : January 12, 2004, 01:45:41 AM »

A couple of days ago a local newspaper interwieved Brian De Palma who said he is starting production of Ellroy's 'Black Dahlia'.

As a big fan of Ellroy I read and very much appreciated 'Black Dahlia', maybe even more than L.A. Confidential. So I'm wondering who might play the two main characters.
Any idea from you guys?

Thank God I'm an atheist
---
“What have you done all this time?”
“Going to bed early.”
COLONNA
Bandido

I'm his son

« #8 : January 12, 2004, 06:26:11 AM »

Dear GuyBrush.

A Film about Black Dahlia ? Good news !  Directed by De Palma  ? Bad news ( I.M.O.)

What actors we could choose for this film, it s a good question:
    The three guys playing in L.A Confidential ( Kevin Spacey, Russel Crowe)  were pretty good no ?

About L.A C,  I was a little bit disappointed by the film because the Director didn't succeed to re-create the pure madness of the Ellroy'world.Same comment about "COP" with the great Jimmy Wood.
   I more easily met this madness in some parts of others films : Seven, The cop Michael Douglas in Black Rain and Basic Instinct ,Mickey Rourke in Year of the Dragon.

After watching Mystic River I select the young cop , and Sean Penn.

Time is on my side...
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines