Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:44:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Viva Zapata! (1952)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Viva Zapata! (1952)  (Read 2450 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2007, 10:13:16 PM »

Viva Zapata 5/5 one of the original "Zapata" Westerns, Dir Elia Kazan, Marlon Brando, Anthony Quinn, Jean Peters, and Henry Silva in a bit part. I enjoyed this flick obviously, has all the elements later homaged in the Italian Zapatas. Quinn won a best supporting actor Oscar for this as Efumio Zapata, Emiliano's (Brando's) brother.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 03:16:40 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 11:19:55 PM »

Viva Zapata 5/5 one of the original "Zapata" Westerns, Dir Elia Kazan, Marlon Brando, Anthony Quinn, Jean Peters, and Henry Silva in a bit pary. I enjoyed this flick obviously, has all the elements later homaged in the Italian Zapatas. Quinn won a best supporting actor Oscar for this as Efumio Zapata, Emiliano's (Brando's) brother.

I've been wanting to see this for quite some time now cigar. Thanks for the nice write up. I really look forward to it now.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 05:52:05 AM »

I've been wanting to see this for quite some time now cigar. Thanks for the nice write up. I really look forward to it now.

Its never on, you'd think TCM would show it when they do their 31 days of Oscar, I finally found a Chinese RO DVD of it (probably a bootleg), its in 3:4 aspect ratio though, so I'll upgrade if it comes out with a better release

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 02:48:17 PM »

Viva Zapata! - 9/10
Fuckin great. One of Kazan's best. Go McCain.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 04:03:48 PM »

Viva Zapata! - 9/10
Fuckin great. One of Kazan's best. .

How did you watch it?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 08:10:54 PM »

How did you watch it?
First of all, who are you? I cant tell who people are with these costumes

And I downloaded a torrent of it a while back, a .ogv file. I got a codec for it today and watched it. Very good quality and just a fantastic film overall.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 01:08:50 PM »

Robert Harris gives the new blu-ray his seal of approval (also Wild River): http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/325118/a-few-words-about-viva-zapata-wild-river-in-blu-ray

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 10:48:10 PM »

6/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 02:23:24 PM »

Robert Harris gives the new blu-ray his seal of approval (also Wild River): http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/325118/a-few-words-about-viva-zapata-wild-river-in-blu-ray
Oh, yeah, I've since watched the blu too:
Viva Zapata! (1952) 7/10; Blu-ray transfer: 9/10. The rise and fall of a Mexican revolutionary. The story is no great shakes, and the performances are merely adequate (Brando has all his scenes stolen by his prosthetic nose). Where this film really shines is in the photography. Not at the level of, say,Clementine, nonetheless, many of Joe MacDonald's signature shots are here (especially the big-head-in-the-foreground trick). The blu-ray shows this work to advantage. Oddly, the first 10 minutes of the transfer seemed off to me, but then everything looked great from that point on.
This was included in the Kazan at Fox 2 set, but it's coming out as a single later this spring.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 03:41:58 PM »

The amazing Joseph MacDonald: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_59/viva_zapata_blu-ray.htm

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM