Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 02:08:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  And for a Roof a Sky Full of Stars aka ...e per tetto un cielo di stelle (1968)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: And for a Roof a Sky Full of Stars aka ...e per tetto un cielo di stelle (1968)  (Read 14176 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2006, 06:45:35 PM »

Can't remember him and Coburn in that movie...I remember Senta Berger, though.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2006, 12:08:14 PM »

this is one of my favorite Gemma westerns ("Pistol for Ringo" raynes supreme).
The first 45 minutes are rather silly, what with the fake mermaid and the slight hints of slapstick comedy but the last half of the film is truly something special. Shockingly brutal and poetically sweet.
Morricone's main theme is masterful without a doubt.
The villains are really nasty human beings.
Great spaghetti westerns.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2007, 04:22:45 PM »

Arizona Colts review:-

AND FOR A ROOF, A SKY FULL OF STARS 1966-Wonderful opening to this Guiliano Gemma movie which divulges into comical shenanigans until a vicious gang comes looking Gemma (who for much of the film pretends to not know how to use a gun) and his lovably stupid friend whom Gemma constantly takes advantage of until the gang of thugs finally catch up with him. It drags a bit in the middle but it has a dynamite ending and you really canít go wrong with a Gemma picture. Some versions have an entirely different set of credits and are missing the opening sequence.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »

The greek dupe of this is called BILLY BOY and opens with a credit sequence that is multi-colored with painted shots of the actors behind the titles. When the film begins, it starts in the saloon. The entire scene with the stagecoach and Gemma burying the people is missing. When Banjo and FC made mention of the beautiful opening theme I was quite confused. The japanese DVD however, is complete and has the original credits playing over the opening action.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2009, 11:08:16 PM »

As my review closes, I must dwell further on that opening sequence. The background to this massacre is never fully explained - perhaps those killed have been unfortunate acquaintances of Billy, and suitably punished by the Pratt gang. I don't know. And, in its serious nature, it perhaps feels like a scene that doesn't really belong in this film. But... if you watch it for no other reason, then watch it for this powerful prologue (even close your eyes just to hear Morricone's score). I am also quite confident as you sit through the whole film that you will find other scenes that you will enjoy".

I watched this movie a couple fo days ago, and my opinion is in tune with the majority of the reviewers: excellent score by Morricone and good SW in general, well worh owning. A clear 7 out of 10 (at least). Afro

Despite this being an old thread, I resurrected it mostly in response to Marco Leone's original post, because I think the reason for the massacre of the opening scene becomes clear about one hour into the movie. Just after Roger Pratt and his henchmen captured Billy Boyd (AKA Tim Hawkins) and his friend Harry, they attempt to hang the latter and bring Billy Boy to Samuel Pratt. When Harry's hanging is taking place, Billy Boyd manages to disarm one of Pratt's henchmen, then shoots at the rope around Harry's neck and cuts it, then he kills all five of Pratt's henchmen (all with a shot in the middle of the forehead). Roger Pratt manages to escape as Billy Boyd does not have any bullets left in the gun. Afterwards, Billy explains to Harry that he also was time ago (in Virginia) one of Samuel Pratt's men, but one day he decided to leave and seek a fresh start somewhere else. Samuel Pratt does not like it and hunts Billy Boyd down by sending two of his sons after him, but Billy kills both of them. Now back to the opening sequence, Roger Pratt and his gang go after the stagecoach  because they believe Billy Boyd is one of the occupants. They shoot and kill everybody because they don't want to leave any withnesses. Then, they discover that Billy Boyd is not in the stagecoach, and it becomes clear that one of Pratt's men gave Roger the wrong information, Roger, infuriated, kills his man. When Billy finds the massacre, he is sad not because the dead are his friends or relatives, just because they just found them dead (especially the young woman).

Unless I have missed something, this is my explanation for the rationale of the opening sequence.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 11:13:38 PM by Bandolero » Logged
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 07:20:20 AM »

I think it's fair to say I enjoyed this to a good extent, although it doesn't come close to the best GG SWs in my opinion. Gemma and Adorf have indeed a good chemistry but the first hour or so is too silly more often than not (though not bad), hence you also don't take their acting too seriously (but they did a solid job). The music is excellent, the climax well built and executed.

Not great, but far from bad.

6.8/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 07:24:02 AM »

A particular highlight of the film is a superb scene as Billy cons his way into the house of a beautiful Widow (played by the frankly gorgeous Magda Konopka). Another very beautiful Spaghetti Western actress, part sorrowful and part sexually teasing.

Aye, eros and thanatos.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 07:25:06 AM »

Despite this being an old thread, I resurrected it mostly in response to Marco Leone's original post, because I think the reason for the massacre of the opening scene becomes clear about one hour into the movie. Just after Roger Pratt and his henchmen captured Billy Boyd (AKA Tim Hawkins) and his friend Harry, they attempt to hang the latter and bring Billy Boy to Samuel Pratt. When Harry's hanging is taking place, Billy Boyd manages to disarm one of Pratt's henchmen, then shoots at the rope around Harry's neck and cuts it, then he kills all five of Pratt's henchmen (all with a shot in the middle of the forehead). Roger Pratt manages to escape as Billy Boyd does not have any bullets left in the gun. Afterwards, Billy explains to Harry that he also was time ago (in Virginia) one of Samuel Pratt's men, but one day he decided to leave and seek a fresh start somewhere else. Samuel Pratt does not like it and hunts Billy Boyd down by sending two of his sons after him, but Billy kills both of them. Now back to the opening sequence, Roger Pratt and his gang go after the stagecoach  because they believe Billy Boyd is one of the occupants. They shoot and kill everybody because they don't want to leave any withnesses. Then, they discover that Billy Boyd is not in the stagecoach, and it becomes clear that one of Pratt's men gave Roger the wrong information, Roger, infuriated, kills his man. When Billy finds the massacre, he is sad not because the dead are his friends or relatives, just because they just found them dead (especially the young woman).

Unless I have missed something, this is my explanation for the rationale of the opening sequence.

Seems believable.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM