Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 05:53:19 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  One-Eyed Jacks (1961)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: One-Eyed Jacks (1961)  (Read 10141 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2016, 07:19:40 AM »

Ok - well for anyone else who is interested there is a whole section in the book talking about One Eyed Jacks in the context of Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid.

Of course, both films in turn owe a great deal to The Left-Handed Gun.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 05:41:36 PM »

4K resto coming to Criterion Blu in November.
SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, undertaken with the support of The Film Foundation and supervised by filmmakers Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• New introduction by Scorsese
• Excerpts from voice-recordings director and star Marlon Brando made during the film's production
• New video essays on the film's production history and its potent combination of the stage and screen icon Brando with the classic Hollywood western
• Trailer
• PLUS: An essay by film critic Howard Hampton

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2016, 12:45:40 PM »

Woohoo - it's about time!!!

Rojo Ramone
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2016, 01:25:47 PM »

I'm thrilled Criterion tackled this film.
I have the crappy BD released a few years ago.
Besides being arguably the most important actor of our time...Brando did a great job at directing.

Now Criterion needs to release BEDTIME STORY Smiley

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »

Now it's MoC's turn:
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

New 4K restoration by Universal Pictures and The Film Foundation, in consultation with Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
Uncompressed Mono 1.0 PCM Audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Brand new audio commentary by Stephen Prince, author of Savage Cinema: Sam Peckinpah and the Rise of Ultraviolent Movies, recorded exclusively for this release
Introduction by Martin Scorsese
Marlon Brando: The Wild One, Paul Joyce’s 1996 documentary on the actor, featuring interviews with Dennis Hopper, Shelley Winters, Martin Sheen and Anthony Hopkins
Additional, previously unseen interview material from Marlon Brando: The Wild One with Francis Ford Coppola and Arthur Penn
Theatrical trailer
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jacob Phillips

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet containing new writing on the film by Jason Wood and Filippo Ulivieri, Karl Malden on Marlon Brando, Paul Joyce on Marlon Brando: The Wild One and an excerpt from Stefan Kanfer’s Somebody: The Reckless Life and Remarkable Career of Marlon Brando.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2017, 08:26:12 PM »

I haven't picked up the Criterion one yet, so maybe I will wait for comparisons to appear. It looks like there are some more extras on the MoC one too.

Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2017, 06:13:24 AM »

Vastly over rated by Brando fans.

Flashes of greatness standing out in chopped messy Western.

I was never that smitten with this film many years ago on my first viewing, but now, with the advent of time, I like to think I view films with newer and wiser perspectives. Sadly I can't say that One-Eyed Jacks has left me anything other than frustrated and cold with disappointment.

Marlon Brando took over directing duties from Stanley Kubrick after the two giants fell out about the direction the picture was taking, this let Brando loose to shoot for 6 months on a film meant to be wrapped in two. Now this may be the main problem to me because the film is painfully devoid of major fleshing out of the characters, scenes are not expanded and there are obvious gaps due to mass editing cuts. It reads on the screen that our protagonist gets sentenced to 5 years in jail, two seconds later we see a bearded haggard man escaping prison chained to another inmate, next shot he is clean shaved and it seems we have missed some important chat between the two escapists. On it goes throughout the picture, I'm sure that the final elongated cut (rumoured to be between 4 & 6 hours) would have been a joyous experience, but as it is we get a cut down 141 minutes of film that rather outstays it's welcome. And to get through it you really need to believe in patience being a virtue.

Brando of course holds court and is never less than interesting, and at times he sizzles and dominates the screen in the way that Marlon was want to do. But the whole performance has the reek of over indulgence about it. Making it more about the actor than the actual narrative. Along side him, Karl Malden is solid and gruff as the villain of the piece, but Katy Jurado is badly underused and seems like an afterthought to be an important character. Sadly, too, Pina Pellicer struggles to convince in her only American film, but naturally that is not important in the context that she was to take her own life at the woefully young age of 29 (depending on what site you believe as regards age at death). The bright spot here is the cinematography from Charles Lang Jr at the various sites in California, it is simply gorgeous, check out the coastline shots and take it all in. I personally feel that this film is one that Brando fans choose to ignore the major flaws with. His name some how making the end product seem better than it actually is. In its longest form I'm sure it "could have been a contender" in the great Western stakes, as it is it remains average and something of an unfulfilling disappointment. 5/10

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2017, 12:00:09 PM »

Here's what I posted a while back. Hey, Spikeopath, we gave it the same score!
One-Eyed Jacks (1961) - 5/10. Stupid plot, and it goes on and on. There's not enough material here for a 90-minute episode of The High Chaparral, but this gets stretched to two-hours-twenty. I guess there was a better ending that wasn't used, but even that wouldn't have saved this. Image-wise, though, this is (mostly) impressive work. Well, you know, Vista-vision. The lighting isn't bad, but kind of the same thing all the time: Brando doesn't have any patience with shadows, apparently, so it's always high noon (or maybe high two p.m.). Night scenes are a bust. Criterion PQ: 10/10

Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2017, 06:08:23 AM »

Here's what I posted a while back. Hey, Spikeopath, we gave it the same score!

Sorry Dave, what does this mean? > Criterion PQ: 10/10 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2017, 06:30:29 AM »

Sorry Dave, what does this mean? > Criterion PQ: 10/10 

Picture Quality is my guess.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2017, 08:29:21 AM »

Picture Quality is my guess.

Makes sense, thank you.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2017, 10:40:58 AM »

In the top 10 list of Tarantino's favourite westerns.

Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2017, 03:26:03 AM »

In the top 10 list of Tarantino's favourite westerns.

Tarantino's top ten list now numbers about 232!...

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2017, 04:52:12 AM »

Tarantino's top ten list now numbers about 232!...

Grin

I need to pick up either the Criterion or MOC versions of this. I remember some nice cinematography in this one.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM