Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 10:19:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Review of Special Restored DVD Edition of THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review of Special Restored DVD Edition of THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY  (Read 2428 times)
ajbobet
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2004, 01:59:14 PM »

hI have just received and seen the Region 2 DVD release of the Special Restored Edition of Sergio Leone's classic THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY by MGM Home Video in a 2 DVD Disc Set. The audio and video quality on this DVD set is nothing shorter than perfection, hearing this film in 5.1 DTS Stereo and seeing it in it's correct Widescreen Anamorphic ratio with a running time of 177 minutes closer to Leone's original Italian release cut in 1966! This is the same restored version of G,B & U that I saw in the New York Film Forum in a limited engagement last year and this DVD looks  and sounds absolutely marvelous. I would compare this DVD version with Paramount's last year DVD release of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST in which they both have the same audio and video quality in their DVD releases!
        The more than 16 minutes of edited sequences help to fill gaps that existed in the regular International version of this film like :
     a) How does Tuco show up with three gang members to surprise Blondie at his hotel?
     b) If Angel Eyes and Blondie left the Bakersfield Confederate Prison Camp by themselves, where did the other four members of Angel Eye's gang came from when they all reach the next town?
     c) How did Angel Eyes knew that Bill Carson would be a Confederate prisoner at Bakersfield?
      d) How did Tuco find out where the Monestery of his priest brother, Father Ramirez is, where he takes the injured Blondie?
        All these restored sequences have been newly dubbed in English by Eastwood and Wallach and a very good voice artist who imitates the late Lee Van Cleef's voice to perfection! On the first disc there is an interesting audio commentary by famed American film critic Richard Schnikel who also did the audio commentary forthe DVD of Leone's ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA. His commentary is quite interesting, although I would have preferred that Eastwood & Wallach would have given audio comentary as well!
        On the 2nd disc there are 4 featurettes, all very interesting and in formative such as:
       a) Leone's West with new interviews by Eastwood, Leone and producer Alberto Grimaldi
      b) The Maestro- documentary on Ennio Morrecone  and his work with Leone. Unfortunately no interviews with Morrecone himself!
      c) The Man who Lost the War- Documentary on the Confedrate General who lost the battle in Apache Canyon that is referred to in Leone's film
      D) Two Lost sequences:  There are two reconstruction thru old footage and storyboards and photos of  two scenes cut from 1966 theatrical release of the film  which are the extended torture sequence of Tuco in the Confederate camp and a scene where Tuco arrives in a town after Blondie abandons him in the desert and he proceeds to rob the townspeople while Blondie is in a hotel in bed with a Mexican prostitute.
        Finally there are a theatrical trailer with scenes cuts from the theatrical release, a poster and picture gallery and 4 Easter eggs, containing new interviews of Eastwood, Wallach and Grimaldi. I definetely reccomend this DVD as the definite video version of GB&D!
 Grin

Bill Carson
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 03:03:03 PM »

Cool   hello Ajbobet. ok well, I must say that yours is the first really positive review I have read here at the website. I'm going to pick up my copy of the greatest movie ever made tomorrow in all it's 'special edition' glory... can't wait.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 03:51:48 PM »

c) The Man who Lost the War- Documentary on the Confedrate General who lost the battle in Apache Canyon that is referred to in Leone's film

Oh, the shame!  The family name goes down in infamy.

Very cool, I'm psyched to get my copy.  Myself I'm not a purist, I'm looking forward to the Dolby sound.   Mono just doesn't cut it on a home surround system.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM