Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 02:56:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Gangs of New York
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gangs of New York  (Read 26544 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2002, 07:07:45 PM »

Just saw it a few hours ago, wow, a must see, an epic! The lavish amount of attention to detail reminded me a lot of Leone, think of it as Once Upon a Time in America 100 years earlier and combined with the Civil War.

As Tuco and Blondie were dealing with Angel Eyes this was going on in NYC what a piece of bloody history that was completely overshadowed by the Civil War. I was very impressed, I recommed it to Leone fans.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 07:54:31 AM »

whens it out in england?  I saw the trailer and it looked awful, but never judge a movie by its trailer right? (except The Mommy 2, both were crap.)

I hate signatures, so naf, but i had to put this up for a week or so to show my respect

r.i.p. joe strummer.  great man, great band
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 04:54:34 PM »

Definitely check it out, and you'll see what I mean, Scorsese does a good job. Its not Clint, Lee, or Eli, but Daniel Day Lewis is a great villan, and the weapons of choice are butcher knives, hatches, and clubs, but it has Leones aura, you'll see.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Renny
Chicken Thief

"Are you talking to me?"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2002, 06:08:40 PM »

It was a must see for me, now I'm really looking forward to it Cool

"Your Youngest And Strongest Will Fall By The Sword"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2003, 07:51:06 AM »

It was a great job by Scorsese of creating and dropping you into a plauseable different world that Leone was especially great in doing.

It has a love story that doesn't overpower the film, DiCaprio, as the "good" guy (I think Scorsese's choice of Di Caprio was one of catering to demographics, someone stronger and more Clint like would have been way better) is after revenge on ultra bad guy Bill the Butcher, Bill's weapon of choice is a meat cleaver along with assorted butcher knives that he carries in holsters around his waist, I don't want to give away or tell you any more.

It's a revalation now to remember that  for example "Billy the Kid" and some of the real "West's" other bad men drifted west from New York City slums and other points east.

I'll see this one again, it is a definite DVD buy for me. when it comes out .

Give me your thoughts when you see it, Happy New Year to All!

MartinTheFaceTodd
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2003, 11:35:43 PM »

I thought it was crap.  Sorry, Arn, Hold.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2003, 07:33:27 AM »

oh well, to each his own, like I said, it could have been tweaked a bit in my opinion, but I felt it had Leone's touch for realism. I guess if Leone's mileu was the western it could be said that Scorsese's is New York City.

caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2003, 07:49:13 AM »

A bit off the point, daniel day lewis used to go to my school, once every year you see him walking around the school, parents days and re unions... so on

I hate signatures, so naf, but i had to put this up for a week or so to show my respect

TBPJMR
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2003, 12:24:28 AM »

I saw Gangs of NY on saturday night, I love that film. Though, as for the epics, Leone would have done surely better. But it is a very good film and Leone's hints are present all along... a big closeup of the eyes as a beginning, DD Lewis' boots as introduction to the character and how about the cannon fire interferring with the final battle between the gangs? I think Scorsese is a Leonian just as me!

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2003, 04:52:19 AM »

Don't forget the chinatown sequences a la OUTIA,  Wink

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2003, 11:13:53 AM »

I agree, there were Leonesque parts, but I think it was a somewhat disappointing film.  Where Leone succeeds in bringing real characters, emotional storytelling and human relationships, Scorsese obviously fails.  At the end the film is more like a sum-up of historical events.  Too bad, it could have been a masterpiece but I think it's not.  Just.

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2003, 10:07:36 AM »

did you hear what de niro said about Scorsese, he was rather rude about him, well not rude in what he said but rude in general.  He said that Leone was his faviroute director when he has worked on 7 or 8 projects with Scorsese

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2003, 04:37:46 PM »

I'd like to read the whole interview to get a feel for the context in which it was said.

nighteagle
Chicken Thief

draw your gun, if you can...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2003, 12:13:58 PM »

I saw Gangs yesterday. I agree to the opinion of the most of you
that professionally (!) the movie is very ok. Good timing, good camera work, good actors. Music is shallow, I think.
However, when I left the theatre I asked myself: would you watch it again? I said to myself   NO. I have the feeling that, even if it is PROFESSIONALLY OK, it does not leave in my heart a DEEP EMOTION, like I am used to get from Leone films. DiCaprio does a nice job, but Bronson or Clint as "good" guys make me walk out in a state of enthusiasm.
 In my view I perceive that Leone can give them a towering personality, that  is somewhat lacking in the character embodied by DiCaprio.
What do you think?

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2003, 02:16:04 PM »

Why an excelent director as Scorsese, who's known also for making the good choices for the casting, has picked Di Caprio. Di Caprio!!!!!!!

Di Caprio is an invention of the mass media, whithout any actoral skill AT ALL.

Day Lewis is just great, the movie would surely be better if an excelent actor as Day Lewis would have something of his same quality in front of him.

But that wouldn't be enough to make an epic movie, I totally agree with Il Buono (Il Buono: you saw exactly why the movie failed) that Scorsese failed in giving reality and emotion to the characters, to the relashionship between them.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM