Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2018, 08:47:03 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Gangs of New York
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
: Gangs of New York  ( 29746 )
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #75 : January 13, 2008, 04:21:13 PM »

Watched this movie about a year or so ago. It was historically interesting but struck a wrong chord with me. The use of modern rock-ish music and the overdone slow-motion during the fight scenes took me out of the film. That, and the story wasn't terribly interesting. Leo DiCaprio was good, as was Daniel Day-Lewis, but the movie as a whole wasn't anything special.

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #76 : January 14, 2008, 08:32:04 AM »

I thought Leo was terrible in GONY, his accent kept changing throughout the film: ranging from Leo's normal speaking tone, to an Irish brogue to a NY accent.

The script wasn't very interesting as well. The movie loses any momentum it gained (which wasn't much) when Bill the Butcher morphs into a 1D villain in the thrid act.

The inclusion of Cameron Diaz is another con.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #77 : January 14, 2008, 09:29:35 AM »

You know what? I'll risk evisceration. Bill the Butcher is one of the most overrated movie characters ever. What exactly makes him so fascinating? The only thing which elevates him above being a stock villain is his code of honor towards Vallon, and that isn't much. Day-Lewis's performance is good but the character isn't that interesting IMO.

One thing I did like about the film was all of the period details, concerning the Old Brewery and the bar where they fight (including the jar of ears). I've read a decent amount on this time period and it was neat to see all that material show up. Also the scene where the immigrants go straight from the docks to the army was excellent because it was true.

IMO, a more serious film on this subject might have been better. But then it would need someone not Scorsese.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #78 : January 14, 2008, 10:02:01 AM »

IMO, a more serious film on this subject might have been better. But then it would need someone not Scorsese.
More serious? Do you see this as a comedy?

In my eyes Scorsese hasn't made a bad movie, and only two mediocre ones: The Color of Money and The Aviator. Okay, I've seen only nine of his features but still... This movie is maybe 8.5/10 in my book. The weakest point is defenitely Diaz and her and DiCaprio's romance.

« : January 14, 2008, 10:35:30 AM moviesceleton »

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #79 : January 14, 2008, 11:38:05 AM »

Bill the Butcher is one of the most overrated movie characters ever. What exactly makes him so fascinating? The only thing which elevates him above being a stock villain is his code of honor towards Vallon, and that isn't much. Day-Lewis's performance is good but the character isn't that interesting IMO.
IMO2.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Tuco the ugly

« #80 : January 14, 2008, 12:46:06 PM »

Bill the Butcher is one of the most overrated movie characters ever. What exactly makes him so fascinating? The only thing which elevates him above being a stock villain is his code of honor towards Vallon, and that isn't much. Day-Lewis's performance is good but the character isn't that interesting IMO.
IMO2.

IMO3.

I've had numerous discussions over this for a few years now, and quite frankly I was getting tired of fighting with the windmills. It's nice to hear someone thinks the same, because I thought something was wrong with me or something. Everybody praises this Billy-boy like it's I don't know what. I've said it already, just because D. Day-Lewis is a great actor, doesn't mean every character that he plays must be great also.

Tuco the ugly

« #81 : January 14, 2008, 12:48:35 PM »

GONY is a entertaining movie, but far from a masterpiece. I think it has more to do with Martin Scorsese than with the movie itself. GONY was Scorsese's first movie after a few years (after ''Bringing Out the Dead'', which IHMO outshines completely this one), but what's more important - was Scorsese's 'turning to the dark side' moment. From GONY on, he started doing only 'mass pleasers'. Sure, he did a few earlier also, but he never crossed the line. Starting with GONY he didn't care anymore, I personally think he got tired. ''Godfellas'' was his last masterpiece, after that he slowly started to fall under the 'Hollywood spell'.

« : January 14, 2008, 12:49:37 PM Tuco the ugly »
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #82 : January 14, 2008, 01:05:14 PM »

GONY is a entertaining movie, but far from a masterpiece. I think it has more to do with Martin Scorsese than with the movie itself. GONY was Scorsese's first movie after a few years (after ''Bringing Out the Dead'', which IHMO outshines completely this one), but what's more important - was Scorsese's 'turning to the dark side' moment. From GONY on, he started doing only 'mass pleasers'. Sure, he did a few earlier also, but he never crossed the line. Starting with GONY he didn't care anymore, I personally think he got tired. ''Godfellas'' was his last masterpiece, after that he slowly started to fall under the 'Hollywood spell'.
I sadly have to agree that recently he's turn closer to average Hollywood director, not necessarily in the quality of work but in the way he works. He goes into typical ready-to-direct Hollywood projects instead of coming up with he's own material. Though, we can't know all the stuff going on behind the closed doors. It's not new for him to promise to direct commercial movies for studios if they let him make his "own" films. That could be the case currently, too. But there's no way going around the fact that if he really wanted to make his own films, he could get them financed by Europeans and other folks for sure.

I just want him to get Silence made before he dies :'(

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #83 : January 14, 2008, 01:09:48 PM »

More serious? Do you see this as a comedy?

No, but it's not really a serious drama. The characters and actions are deliberately colorful and over-the-top.

In my eyes Scorsese hasn't made a bad movie, and only two mediocre ones: The Color of Money and The Aviator. Okay, I've seen only nine of his features but still... This movie is maybe 8.5/10 in my book. The weakest point is defenitely Diaz and her and DiCaprio's romance.

I hardly think this is a bad film, merely a flawed one.

Whalestoe

« #84 : January 14, 2008, 01:33:53 PM »

No, but it's not really a serious drama. The characters and actions are deliberately colorful and over-the-top.

Agreeance @ maximum capacity, Groggy.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #85 : January 14, 2008, 09:56:02 PM »

I've said it already, just because D. Day-Lewis is a great actor, doesn't mean every character that he plays must be great also.
We have to distinguish between a performance and a role. DD-L can act his heart out, but if the character he is portraying isn't well written, his efforts are of limited utility.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Tuco the ugly

« #86 : January 15, 2008, 12:32:36 PM »

Exactly what I meant.

: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines