Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 05:44:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Gangs of New York
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gangs of New York  (Read 26826 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2003, 05:12:13 PM »

Just a straight revenge story would have tightened things up.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
TBPJMR
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2003, 02:38:28 AM »

Gangs of New York gained no Oscars; another affinity with Sergio

Bye and bye

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2003, 01:01:09 PM »

I think the competition was too strong... and it just didn't deserve an oscar.

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
TBPJMR
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2003, 01:21:05 PM »

Yea, it is widely known that we have different opinions about this movie  Smiley

jouissance
Bandido

in the beginning there was light

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2003, 01:35:04 PM »

I haven't seen GONY but I can say that the oscars are full of crap for the most part. LOTR should have won best picture...what did it not have? Look at Chicago, although it is a great city, the film way short of being best picture, etc. What a joke! The whole Oscar race is silly and it is very much controled by a few hippie wanna be's. I know because I work with one of the producers who votes and she will vote whatever her friends tell her to vote or if gay rights is popular she'll vote for AMERICAN BEAUTY or BOYS DON'T CRY, not because they were better films but because she wants to feel popular...I have to hear her crap on the phone all day long about what this person thinks and this other person and her taking notes to make sure she's got it right so she doesn't have to think for herself.
Boy can you guys tell I don't like the Oscars....?
P.S. Hola Cigar Joe (long time no talk)!

TBPJMR
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2003, 02:40:13 PM »

O but that is why I'm not frustrated by the Academy choices, neither for Sergio not for GONY. As for that kind of event, I am much more interested in Cannes, Berlin and Venice.

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2003, 01:13:52 PM »

I agree with you, Jouissance, LOTR should've won.  But I thought Chicago was pretty good and I can understand why Americans like this stuff...  It reminds them of them good ol' days of the musicals: Singin' in the Rain, The Sound of Music,...  No offence, I can appreciate such things from them.  I like the Hollywood glitter and glamour.  Why not?

Nevertheless, LOTR should've won.  Or The Pianist.

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Hippieoddball1
Bandido

Life is funnier than shit.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2003, 04:00:23 PM »

The pianist should've won because it's superb. Adaptation was good as well.
Gangs of new york was really poor. Di caprio is not a bad actor, but he was totally wrong to play that sort of roll, he's not an action star in any way. The best scene for me is at the start when liam neeson is heading to see dd lewis for a battle and that irish esque music (ripped off morricone) is playing and it just reminds you of the the scenes from leone's westerns. But shame about the rest of it. DD Lewis is overatted as well, not a bad performance, a bit to excentric fro me, just imagine how good it would have been if de niro played it, he would have been much more laid back. Thats makes a villain even scarier, not in your face and loud all the time.

The reason you became a priest is because you were too much of a coward to do what i do.
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2003, 03:21:58 PM »

Who, in general, deserves an Oscar? Wich are the reasons for receiving, or not receiving an Oscar?

Why Ennio Morricone never won an Oscar?

All these are the mysterious ways of the Lord.

We shall get the answer, but not in this world.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2003, 04:37:33 PM »

TBPJMR we here in US don't see much of Cannes, Berlin and Venice. Usullay just a few seconds on the news.

By the way did Leone ever get any awards at these festivals?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
TBPJMR
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2003, 12:17:19 AM »

Cigar Joe,
I'm not informed about the winners in these festivals, I just follow the schedules about the film they screen day by day.

But I know that Sergio has been in the jury in both Cannes and Venice, I think several times, and sometimes as the president of the Jury.  

He also brought OUTIA to Cannes, obviously his cut, where he was personally praised by Lucas and Spielberg after the première (the one where many women cried against the film, feeling to be outraged by that that happens to Deborah). It seems that Spielberg, calling him "Master", said: "I don't know when, but I know I will give my tribute to you in a movie". And someone told me that in his Empire Of The Sun he did that.

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2003, 02:16:12 PM »

Leone was member of the jury in 1971.

He also participated in the festival twice. The first time in 1968 for OUTW and the second in 1984 for OUTA.

Surfing in the net I discovered that he was nominated for a Golden Globe as best director in 1985 for OUTA.

Does anybody know if this is true?

Each one for himself, and God against all.
DjArcadian
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama! No, you're a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2003, 01:57:01 PM »

I thought Gangs of New York could have been much better. The choice of DiCaprio was bad though . Scorsese probably needed a big star to get backing. Day Lewis was excellent and it's worth watching the film again and again just for his performance. The film should have been shorter. A lot of weak and unneeded scenes were included (the boardwalk boxing scene for one).

Diaz is so beautiful that I would follow her off a cliff if it meant getting closer to her.  Grin Her smile drives me crazy.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2003, 04:32:30 PM »

DjArcadian sounds like you got it bad for Diaz  Shocked, I saw the Piano the other day, not bad.  It should have won, but then I haven't seen Chicago yet either.

As far as DiCaprio I also saw "Catch Me If You Can" and that was a movie more suited to him and to his style. It was a good believable recreation of the late 50's early 60's.

TBPJMR
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2003, 01:26:09 AM »

Day Lewis was excellent and it's worth watching the film again and again just for his performance.

That's what happened to me last night. I had a copy of GONY on DVD by a friend and I saw again the first half hour, just to refresh about Bill the Butcher. Oh, on the first shot on DD Lewis face I recalled again the first shot on James Coburn in Duck, You Sucker, if you know what I mean.
I tell you more: I like to believe Scorsese had it in mind when he shoot the scene.

Bye and bye

« Last Edit: April 11, 2003, 01:29:53 AM by TBPJMR » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM