Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 11:57:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Wild Geese (1978)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wild Geese (1978)  (Read 2417 times)
Tim
« on: November 06, 2005, 01:19:17 PM »

I was browsing through the dvd section at my local Borders today and came across a movie called The Wild Geese.  I read some about it when it was released on DVD a month or two ago, but forgot about it completely.

It's about a group of mercenaries in an African country trying to rescue a captured leader who could lead his nation to prominence, or so the box said.  It stars Richard Burton, Roger Moore, and Richard Harris, and Hardy Kruger, among many other names I recognized in the cast listing.

So, here's my question.  Has anyone seen The Wild Geese?  Is it worth getting or should I look into renting it from a video store first?  Any opinions would be great, I'd like to hear what people think of it.  With that cast, I figured it must be halfway decent, but I wanted to check with my fellow posters.  Thanks in advance.

Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 11:46:47 AM »

I found it to be a bit too corny and sentimental in parts for my taste.
Strangely enough one of yesterdays UK sunday papers  had it as a freebie.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 12:01:02 PM »

It's junk. Entertaining in fits and starts, but junk. It was also notorious for being shot in South Africa during the apartheid era, when most countries in Europe were boycotting any dealings with that country. Some people also find the film racist, but I'll leave you to make up your own mind on that score.

I liked it well enough when I saw it at the cinema when it first came out, last time it was on telly though I found Richard Harris's "woild Oirishman" act and Roger Moore's cigar chomping rather tiresome.

Richard Burton, obviously in it for the money, looks seriously out of shape and rather ill, and plays the entire movie with a face like a bull dog licking piss from a nettle.

There was also a sequil made nearly 10 years later, which I've never seen.

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 08:21:56 PM »

Well, I kinda liked the movie, but its not one that I would go out and buy.
Another one of its type, starring Christopher Walken, is called The Dogs of War.  Its very good, and I will buy it one day.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:29:29 AM »

These are evil times my friends, they started remaking McLaglen's flicks: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1110286/

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 12:09:22 AM »

Re-watched it after years.

In the end, just like every other Andrew V. McLaglen flick, this one's also crap. But, at the same time, it is quite entertaining, and, actually, very good in certain parts, in dialogue, character interaction and action. It is for me, without any doubt, the best movie McLaglen has ever made. (Thanks the Good Book, I haven't seen them all, yet.) But one thing that nobody mentioned, is that this movie changes concept every two scenes. I mean, you just can't catch this one by the tail. Is it supposed to be a war/political drama, a story 'bout old buddies, guys on a mission story, or whatever? Just when you think you got it, some character storms in with a line so pathetic and corny frickin' corn syrup starts dripping from the actor's mouth, you can't stop laughing.

6.5/10

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:11:54 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 12:10:28 AM »

These are evil times my friends, they started remaking McLaglen's flicks: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1110286/

Looks like this got canceled.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM