Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 03:44:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Aviator (2004)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Aviator (2004)  (Read 2871 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 11:23:18 AM »

The biggest problem (besides the all around dullness) is the whole OCD thing. It isn't convincing at all, and it's what the whole movie gravitates around. Has the condition always been there, or is it slowly progressing? I couldn't really tell watching the movie, as if the director and screenwriter weren't sure themselves. I mean we see him having episodes from the start, it all culminates near the end when he closes himself in that room, but then he gets out and you have the feeling he finally jumped over it (he eats with the crooked Senator and appears lucid in court), though obviously without a point as we see him flip out yet again in the very end, for no reason at all (as I see it).

I am by no means an expert, but I do not think many people understood what was his problem, and how it affected his life (what's the connection between his fear of germs and the impulse to repeat sentences?).

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 12:26:27 PM »

Perhaps you should qualify that with "modern urban setting." Or do you think that The Age of Innocence is a success?

For me The Age of Innocence belongs to his best. New York, New York is one I have to watch again, and would like to watch again. My memories are pretty positive. It has at least the enthralling nervousness of all the great Scorsese films.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 01:33:42 PM »

Tried watching TAOI once... as you can see I didn't die, but I was damn close.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 04:45:08 PM »

and lol at scorsese being diverse enough to pull off making AFOD and West or America. He's a mediocre director when out of an urban setting.
Then couldn't you say Leone is a mediocre director outside of a western setting? Colossus of Rhodes and The Last Days of Pompeii are still his movies, you know, whether people choose to forget them or not. Sure, America is the greatest film ever made in my opinion. But there must be at least one Scorsese film not in a (modern) urban setting which you like. Such as The Last Temptation of Christ. Who's to know that if Leone lived longer, he would have continued striving in non-western filmmaking? Scorsese may have many more weak efforts than most directors, but he has also made many more movies than most modern directors.

Ya, I pretty much only come by here now to suck Marty's cock.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM