Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 06:22:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Aviator (2004)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Aviator (2004)  (Read 2856 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2010, 06:22:03 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338751/

Okay so I finally watched this: it's not a complete letdown, but it's certainly not a great movie. The main story is, IMO, very poorly connected, it is like a series of (watchable, albeit not dramatically outstanding) episodes going randomly one after another, gravitating mainly around Hughes' war with his OCD. The rest seems phony: he is losing money - but he's got a sea of it (he ain't gonna end up on the street), he's got many women - but he doesn't seem to care (so what's the point?), etc. In short lines: there wasn't one single moment when I felt I'd miss something important if I'd get up and go to the kitchen for 10 minutes, or just turn the TV off. So, this is what it is: you watch it once (although you don't really have to), and never again.

5 (point something) out of 10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 06:23:33 AM »

Am I being too harsh?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 06:37:39 AM »

Don't know, I have only seen it once. It really doesn't have much of a connected narrative. And the spectacular scene of the airplane crash is completely out of place in this film.

A 6/10 for me, which will maybe become a 7 when I watch it again. But still, I generally don't like biographies, so I maybe won't watch it again.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »

I got about an hour into it before the scratched DVD broke down. I thought it was decent; surprisingly I was enjoying Cate Blanchet's Hepburn impression very much, since I can't stand the real thing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 12:15:21 PM »

It really doesn't have much of a connected narrative.

We seem to agree.

since I can't stand the real thing.

Fool.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 03:28:04 PM »

Yea I though Cate Blanchet's Hepburn impression was the highlight too 5/10 probably never have to watch it agin.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 03:34:31 PM »

This isn't a movie I probably will ever watch unless I happen upon it on TV sometime. My suspicion is that Hughes, for all his money, just wasn't a very interesting man. To get anything worthwhile  out of him as a character you probably have to do something like what Demme did in Melvin and Howard: make him a secondary character.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 03:41:33 PM »

No connexion with the story and the character. All your criticisms are true.
However, one of the greatest piece of filmmaking/editing ever, if you forget a couple failures (the opening........). From a technical standpoint, it's worth watching once per week, like most Scrosese movies (excluding kundun, new york new york and the last passion of the christ). Once again, Scorsese is now far over 70, and he's still, technically speaking, the most modern director/editor around (he has owned the title since Taxi Driver, actually). But it's long and boring, so... I'll stay with once a year.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 03:42:10 PM »

My suspicion is that Hughes, for all his money, just wasn't a very interesting man.

Roll Eyes

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 10:49:57 PM »

Scorsese is a better director than Sergio Leone

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 04:04:33 AM »

However, one of the greatest piece of filmmaking/editing ever, if you forget a couple failures (the opening........). From a technical standpoint, it's worth watching once per week, like most Scrosese movies (excluding kundun, new york new york and the last passion of the christ). Once again, Scorsese is now far over 70, and he's still, technically speaking, the most modern director/editor around

Aeh now, ''one of the greatest pieces of filmmaking/editing ever'' seems exaggerated.

The crash scene is probably the best scene in the movie, but if you watch it more carefully you can see the stitches when the camera changes angles.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 01:05:55 PM »

I won't hear anything against New York, New York.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 01:24:50 PM »

I won't hear anything against New York, New York.

You won't, won't.

This is a message board, not the radio, radio.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 01:51:28 PM »

Am I being too harsh?

Not harsh enough, if anything.

New York, New York is not only a better movie, it's definitely more visually appealing. Outside of the crash scene, Aviator is a dull movie for the most part; in all aspects. I'd also say that 'Christ' has better visuals - and is superior as well.

and lol at scorsese being diverse enough to pull off making AFOD and West or America. He's a mediocre director when out of an urban setting.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 04:00:16 PM »

He's a mediocre director when out of an urban setting.
Perhaps you should qualify that with "modern urban setting." Or do you think that The Age of Innocence is a success?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM