Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 09:03:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Your Dadīs taste in Films and his attitudes towards spaghetti westerns.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Dadīs taste in Films and his attitudes towards spaghetti westerns.  (Read 2983 times)
emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2013, 12:28:29 PM »

Born 1931.  Favourites films.

Godfather I and II
Lawrence of Arabia
Ocean's 11 1960
Westside story  Shocked

I asked him about GBU because he was 35 at the time of that release.  Thinking about The Dark Knight was the big film back when I was 35, and my feelings towards that movie. (havenīt seen it yet because Im not a Batman fan, but I did like the first movie)

He said he has never saw it , which is quite ironic because he likes the Clint films....Dirty Harry, Thunderbolt, Play misty for me etc..

I said "was because it the lack of publicity back then, especially in England....."

He said no, he was aware of it, he just didn't see it because of the initial bad reviews back then. (He was a slave to the critics my old man)

-------

I donīt want to force him to see it, because that's not my deal.....but I do think GBU is a good father son bonding movie, and I do feel that he has missed out.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:48:55 PM by emmo26 » Logged

**************** ZZ TOPīs 1st Gig **************
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 03:06:18 PM »

I'd try and get him to see it  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 06:21:28 PM »

My dad (born 1924) liked westerns, so we saw most of them (late 1950s to the 1970s).  He didn't go with us to the spaghetti Westerns though, my guess is that he saw them on TV.

He liked High Noon, Red River, Magnificent Seven, Viva Zapata, Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, 1939 Stagecoach.

I actually liked the 1966 Stagcoach significantly better than the 1939 version, and not just because of the superhot Ann-Margret (source of name for my daughter Margret Ann); the 1966 ending with Alex Cord going after the bad guys was terrific.  We all saw this at the theaters in 1966, and were convinced then that Alex Cord would take over westerns from John Wayne.  But two years later my brothers and I saw this film with mostly Italian actors in the titles, with that Rawhide guy who was called Blondie.....

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 06:28:16 PM »

My dad's tastes are fairly similar to mine. He doesn't seem especially fond of Leone though.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 06:04:22 AM »

When I think of some SW I think of my father, as I saw them almost all with him in the cinema that was a couple of minutes away from where I lived. But I saw Liberty Valance and GBU with my grandpa, who liked westerns as well.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 06:12:08 AM »

About the rest, my father was quite ecumenical, though he liked kung-fu movies which i never could put up with. The last movie we saw together in a theatre was probably Apocalypse Now.

emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 05:35:15 AM »

Why move it here from "other films".

I thought īattitudes towards spaghetti westernsīpart would fit into the īDiscuss all other Leone related films hereī criteria

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 10:39:58 AM »

Why move it here from "other films".

I thought īattitudes towards spaghetti westernsīpart would fit into the īDiscuss all other Leone related films hereī criteria
The "Other Films" section has become a place where people discuss all Westerns - and almost exclusively each film under a its own topic. Nobody planned it that way but that's the way it's turned out to be.

I didn't feel this thread belonged there because it seemed to deal with father and son bonding movies in more general terms. Also most threads dealing with spaghetti westerns as a genre seemed to be located under General Discussion, not Other Films.

This wasn't any kind of a punishment or attack - simply just an attempt to keep this forum in some kind of an order.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 05:00:32 AM »

Well I feel that should be left to the discretion of the regular posters, my peers if you will  Afro.  The decision to move it should not be left solely to a moderatorīs angry click.

Anyway you have taken away all the potency of this topicīs discussion and Iīll wont be posting here for too long.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:10:26 AM by emmo26 » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 06:52:19 AM »

Emmo I think you're over reacting to some basic administrative stuff, MS wasn't angry, just cleaning around. I have to say the first time I read your post I thought you wrote "angry d*ck" instead of "click" and was like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmCL0gIhkLM Cheesy

That being said, my Dad wasn't really aware of SW when they came out but loved the dollar trilogy: to the young (he's from 1956) him, they were just westerns with Clint Eastwood being the biggest badass he had ever seen. I'm pretty sure he thought Hang 'Em High was done by the same guys. He saw all of them in theater with a friend. Then in 1968 his friend came and said "There is another film by those guys, with a guy who's even cooler than Clint!" and they went to see OUATITW. He liked it a lot even if Clint was still far cooler than Bronson.

He never saw any other SW for years appart from DYS (in theater, loved it) and the Great Silence (on TV, wasn't as impressed as my mother; may be she has a thing for Trintignant, but who hasn't?). He has seen parts of Django, Keoma and other classics when I watched them in the 2000's. He now loves Leone. I'd say he rates them this way: OUATIA / OUATITW / GBU / DYS / "Others" (like most people, he cannot differenciate FOD and FFDM). He also likes a lot Clint Eastwood movies and usually watches them when they're on TV, but his favorites ones are not the most SW looking ones (Madison and Mystic River), although he still loves Pale Rider and High Plain Drifter. He's not interested in expanding his experience with SW outside Leone.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 07:11:04 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »

I asked him about GBU because he was 35 at the time of that release.  Thinking about THE DARK KNIGHT was the big film back when I was 35, and my feelings towards that movie. (havenīt seen it yet because Im not a Batman fan, but I did like the first movie)

Ironically Dark Knight is No 6, right behind GBU in IMDb's Top 250 list.......Spooky.   Shocked

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:38:30 PM by emmo26 » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM