Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 05:26:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Has anyone here seen a "Red Western"?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has anyone here seen a "Red Western"?  (Read 2730 times)
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2006, 08:32:35 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostern

Tim
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 10:59:41 AM »

Can't say I've seen a "red western" but from the wikipedia description, they certainly sound interesting.  Maybe worth checking out if they were more readily available.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 11:29:45 AM »

Sounds pretty cool. It makes sense that these were never seen here due to the Cold War.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 02:03:18 PM »

ah yes. the link mentions "Lemonade joe". I read about this on Weisser's book but he labels it as a spaghetti western.

The plot is basically a Popeye cartoon where the hero drinks lemonade to become the fastest gun in the west.

sounds funny and all. I had a chance to buy it off ebay but I decided not to because I was out of cash at the time.

I would imagine this "Red Western" genre is very much like it's italian counter part.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 02:48:59 PM »

I own the Lemonade Joe but... uh... I'm so lazy I haven't even watched it. Grin If anybody is interested in it, Xploitedcinema sells a very good Czech disc of it which has both czech and english tracks and subtitles for either the whole movie or just for the parts that are only in czech. Atleast thats how I remember it... and I know Xploitedcinema has different specs for the disc.

The recently released R1 disc is crap.

Maybe I should take the thread immediately to maybe somewhat offtopic but I was wondering if any of you have seen finnish westerns? Cool I don't really know what they should be called.... northerns or maybe they would be easterns (Ostern) as well? Grin

Cool

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 02:59:33 PM »

Thanks a bunch Sundance!
I guess I can pick it up from xploited in a few months.

Havent seen a Finnish western. what are they like?

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 09:48:59 PM »

I'm picking up the R1 disc of Lemonade Joe from my local public library...& yes..I know that the Czech disc is the better one..but they only have the Facets Dvd..at least it's free. Undecided

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 09:55:58 PM »

I'm picking up the R1 disc of Lemonade Joe from my local public library...& yes..I know that the Czech disc is the better one..but they only have the Facets Dvd..at least it's free. Undecided

what kind of Library do you live by! Shocked

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 10:10:55 PM »

what kind of Library do you live by! Shocked

There's a network of libraries...35 of 'em....all in my county, which is the largest county in the state..that I have access to w/ my local library card. You can request DVDs..books..etc...online if you want..& get them sent to your local library & pick it up & return it there.
As of the other day..when I checked..there are 613 Westerns... Cheesy
I stumbled across Lemonade Joe while browsing the catalog online..& said..Oh...yeah..I've heard of that... Grin

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 02:29:41 AM »

Hm... this is a very, very old thread, but I have something to add now, so I think, whatever...

Lemonade Joe is Czechoslovakian, so it can't be a spaghetti, right?

I've recently seen another Czechoslovakian western, from the 80s, shot somehwere in the then Soviet Union. It's based on a story by Jack London (which I haven't read). It's called Cesta na jihozápad ("The Journey South-East"), and it's a story of an orphan, a gunslinger and an old man carrying what seems to be a treasure.
Other than being Czechoslovakian and shot in where it was shot, I don't see anything "red" about it. After all, it's Jack London. And in fact, the place where it was shot, wild mountains and white rivers, makes it seem almost like it was really shot somewhere in the USA, not a "cheap" European attempt at a western as if it was shot somewhere in Europe, this was the wild Asian part of Soviet Union.
So its heritage shows more in the actors - Czech actors, many of whom I know from other films, and seeing them in a western was rather strange, some of them do not have the certain something you're used to from westerns. Others work really well in a western and I wish I could see them in more. Jiri Schmitzer, who plays the gunslinger, has a sort of Clint Eastwood quality about him, he's an ambiguous character, seems straight and is not quite exactly straight, and vice versa.
It's also quite slowly paced, and more of an adventurous film for children (which shows in the use of a barely teenaged orphan as the hero). But I liked the slow pace of it, it has a strange atmosphere. Eastern one, or Northen one, I suppose. It's something that I felt present in some Baltic and Finnish and Saami films I saw. I cannot explain what it is, it's not something I can lay my finger on, just the general feeling. I think it is this unexplicable general feeling that sets it apart from American westerns most. But I, personally, like it. If you're not familiar with Eastern European films, a feeling closest to it - from what I saw - was in The Bear.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM