Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 01:27:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  How does WP know...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How does WP know...  (Read 5178 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 02:30:16 PM »

The tidbit that Leone had various others present when talking to Gray seems to vindicate that the meeetings happened.

The theories you present about Gray are interesting but on the other hand those are speculative with practically no way to confirm them. I'd be interested to hear a fleshed-out theory with something like evidence but bald speculation isn't worth a whole lot, fun though it is.

Saturday nights with Groggy
TerryMalloy
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 04:49:19 PM »

Someone should go over to New York and do a little hands on research lol search newspaper archives, birth records, etc... find anything on Harry Goldberg. I think it would be interesting to see if there is a newspaper article about 70 year old Max committing a robbery

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 09:47:57 AM »

The tidbit that Leone had various others present when talking to Gray seems to vindicate that the meeetings happened.

Okay, I don't wanna always swim against the current, but (Grin) didn't Leone also claimed he directed large portions of various sword-and-sandal flicks - while in fact - he didn't?

But as I said: I'm willing to believe the two did in fact meet, plus one interpreter.

The theories you present about Gray are interesting but on the other hand those are speculative with practically no way to confirm them. I'd be interested to hear a fleshed-out theory with something like evidence but bald speculation isn't worth a whole lot, fun though it is.

You see that's where you're wrong, my theories are actually pretty far from original, since they all lean on the story that Leone did meet the person behind the pen name Harry Grey, and figured he was a phony. I cannot be sure, but then again we cannot be sure about anything in this whole story, and there's the beauty of it - we can suppose anything, you can just pick the version you like best. It is great fun, if you ask me. If I could actually do some research, and find a couple of 'facts', I could come up with at least 10 juicy stories on what happened myself.

You can for instance see we're here constantly referring to him (Harry Grey) as ''Harry/or something Goldberg'', as is everybody that knows (or pretends to know) a little something out there on the net, while in fact there isn't a shred of proof such person can be linked with the auteur of TH. Only a couple of vague clues. Now, if we'd have the resources to actually research all that, how many Goldbergs do you think we would find, that vaguely fit the description (his parents came from someplace in Eastern Europe, he had a father and a mother, they were poor, he was picking pockets as a kid, and what else...) ? - 50 000 (at least) ?

At best all this blends well with Sergio Leone's impression about the guy: he was a phony, he made up (again, to what extent is debatable) much of the stuff in The Hoods. Probably everything after his childhood.

Here's an example:

If you would ask me who was, in my elementary school, constantly throwing pencils on the ground just so he can watch the (female) professors legs, I could come up with a couple of candidates this very second. Now, try figuring out how much time would take someone who grew up in NYC or somewhere near on the East Coast, involved in criminal activities (or just living in such a neighborhood), to recognize the events and persons from the book and link them with the ones in real life? (Don't forget TH was one of the first published books on such subjects.) - Approximately the same amount of time it would take his old pals still in the business to find him and clean the world of his presence.

Or, maybe he fooled all of them by just changing the names and locations... Lips Sealed

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:49:09 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »

Okay, I don't wanna always swim against the current, but (Grin) didn't Leone also claimed he directed large portions of various sword-and-sandal flicks - while in fact - he didn't?

He didn't?  Huh

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 11:27:47 AM »

He didn't?  Huh

Well, yeah, he did. Wink

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM