Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 12:12:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Man From Snowy River (1982)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Man From Snowy River (1982)  (Read 1837 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2010, 12:11:07 PM »

I see that at IMDB this is very much appreciated. It was also nominated for Golden Globes. But it put me to sleep after ten minutes and I had to force myself to watch it to the end the next day. Nothing happens. The girl is the ugliest I saw as a lead. Douglas double himself up to play 2 brothers and puts on again his Adrian Messenger make up. So I give it a 00\10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 12:58:51 PM »

I've had this on my waiting list for like a year and a half, figured it was maybe 20% Western so I never bothered. Double zero out of ten, that's like permission to skip it with extreme prejudice. Those bloody Aussie Westerns...

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:00:21 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 03:05:53 PM »

They're running its second or third rerun here currently, but I haven't bothered to watch a second of it.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:34:54 PM »

I've had this on my waiting list for like a year and a half, figured it was maybe 20% Western so I never bothered. Double zero out of ten, that's like permission to skip it with extreme prejudice. Those bloody Aussie Westerns...

Do not, please. I might be wrong. Or maybe I was in the wrong mood, who knows. Those appreciative reviews at IMDB (some say it's his favourite movie, period) make me wonder, so at least a second thought is welcome.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 04:38:06 AM »

Yeah, apart from some nice imagery this movie is a complete mess all around. The plot is ridiculous (and the story's unoriginal, to say at least), or is it the editing, who can say. Kirk Douglas far from his best. On the positive side: there's Jack Thompson, who I always like to watch, even if his role is very small, and the whole scene when the boy chases the brumbies up and down the mountain is beautiful, especially the colors.

It is as I suspected: it's only 20% W.

3/10

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:21:11 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM