Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 04:05:51 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Film Locations (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Arch (2010)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Arch (2010)  (Read 7519 times)
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2010, 10:25:19 PM »

Well, I finally managed to visit what’s left of the famous “brick” arch from OUATITW!!

Arriving to the place was not difficult thanks to the directions given in this forum by Cusser and others (thank you, guys). Exactly 7.5 miles after crossing the bridge in Mexican Hat towards Monument Valley, one takes a right turn by some sort of (abandoned?) vendor’s shack into Country Road 432,

then follow the directions on this link

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=6889.msg118492#new

Eventually, one sees the remains of the arch on top of a hill. The dirt road is very drivable for any car, the only thing is that towards the end there is a lot of broken glass from beer bottles and all sort of cans.

A close look to the remains of the arch shows that it is actually not made out of bricks, but rather from pieces of the red stones (not sure if the correct geological name is “Navajo Sandstone”) that are found in Monument Valley, the Valley of the Gods and all the surrounding area. Also, it became clear to me that the quality of the construction was quite low. This is not surprising, as it was obviously not made to withstand the test of time (like the real Roman arches) but rather to be in a few scenes of a movie.

I listened to the “Harmonica’s brother’s death” theme on my MP3 player while I admired what was left of the arch.

Here are some pictures:

I asked a few questions to the RV camp manager about the arch. She knows of the location, and she suspects the reason it has not been reconstructed is because it has no meaning to the Navajos.

I also found interesting the fact that there is a place named Sweetwater about 35 miles east of Monument Valley. Not sure if there is a railroad in the area, though.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 12:41:47 AM »

Just for fun and for "filming" in the same place as Leone, I made this 3:30 min video clip. I hope you all enjoy it.

http://img824.imageshack.us/i/file23969z.mp4/

Here is one observation. Contrary to what has been said in this forum, I noticed that the highway IS visible from the arch location. Just pay attention to my video clip and you will see it clearly going uphill in the background in the minute 1:23 when I zoom-in the picture. Then, if you play the movie OUATITW and pay attention to the scene of the hanging of Harmonica's brother, you will notice the highway between young Harmonica and Frank for a few seconds. However, now that you have learned where the highway is, you will realize how well Tonino Delli Colli used the camera so that it wasn't obvious the viewer. First, although the highway is visible between young Harmonica and Frank, the background is out of focus, so unless you know the highway is there, it is really hard to notice it. And second, when the camera zooms out and takes a panoramic view of Monument Valley, the top of the arch hides the highway part of the time.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:46:09 AM by O'Cangaceiro » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 10:42:09 AM »

Cool beans. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:53:54 AM »

Afro

I'll check it more carefully tomorrow, don't have the time right now.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 12:40:21 PM »

I sure don't remember seeing that "shack", think I was there in 2007. 

Anyway, all else looks very same as then.  Agree, not bricks at all, stones.  And since there's no fallen stones in the center (and nobody would take the effort to clean up such, and no such trash stones around), agree that the center portion was likely wood and styrofoam, and has since eroded away.

Unfortunately, back in late 1960s through 1990s, never knew where this was located, or I would road-tripped from Phoenix while it was still intact.  All I knew then was that it was on tribal land in Utah, figured one would not be able to even access it.  I also drove right up, got real tingly when I saw it in the distance.  I was there about half-hour, also played the soundtrack music real loud, and took a bunch of photos.  It was VERY memorable.   By the way, if you look in the film, it appears that the dirt road is somewhat visible.  And the storm in the distance to the left is really what it can look like out here, think that was just a happenstance occurence when the filming took place.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 09:06:01 PM »

Cusser, it seems to me that for a long time (until it collapsed) the Arch could be seen not just from the highway but also from other places. Today my wife and I visited the Goosenecks State Park, which is in Utah a few miles North of the Arch. In fact, it is the direction where Frank comes from during the hanging of harmonica's brother. From that park one can see the tips of some of the pinnacles in Monument Valley. My wife was admiring the scenerey with binoculars and suddenly she called me telling me she had spotted the Arch!!! I borrowed the binoculars, checked at the left of one of the Monument Valley pinnacles and...there it was!!!. I took some pictures with an 18x zoom camera and I uploaded them unedited, keeping the original size. Here are the links. Click on the lower thumbnail or the lower link and you will see the Arch just a the left side of the left pinnacle. The upper link and thumbnail contain a panoramic view of the area; if zoomed the remains of the Arch can also be seen, but not nearly as clear as in the second one.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7408/arch01.jpg

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5817/arch02.jpg

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 09:15:19 PM »

Afro

You almost persuaded me to make a visit.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 03:57:38 AM »

very cool  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 06:32:35 AM »

Going there, CJ?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 02:34:41 PM »

I wouldn't mind making that trip someday...

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 09:01:02 PM »

"Someday...."

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 10:29:42 PM »

Well, in case somebody I know is coming too let me know: I'll bring the rope. Evil

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 05:17:48 AM »

I'll bring the apples! Cool

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 05:21:10 AM »

This is a nice report, but thinking about it makes me sad, wondering if I'll ever make it there. Time, money... never enough of that in this world... Cry

P.S. I'll move this in the FL section. Wink

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 04:41:36 PM »

Can it be seen via Google earth?

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM