Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 10:02:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  How does Sean/John escape the pub?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How does Sean/John escape the pub?  (Read 9058 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 02:56:19 PM »

In point of fact, SL's flashback technique, learned from Ford and others, uses a minimalist approach, and for very good reason: time is a film's most precious resource, and must be spent judiciously.

Hear hear! Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 07:54:13 AM »

In point of fact, SL's flashback technique, learned from Ford and others, uses a minimalist approach, and for very good reason: time is a film's most precious resource, and must be spent judiciously.
Interesting!
But wasn't Leone precisely criticized for his sprawling epics from TGTBATU and on?

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 11:37:09 AM »

Sure. But his flashbacks in particular are models of efficiency.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 02:50:19 AM »

Now that you mention it, how did Indio get away after killing Moritmer's sister's husband? No reason to suppose they're living out in the middle of nowhere--more than likely, they're on the family plantation in Carolina.
Aren't North and South Carolina a bitt too far away from Mexico anyway? Or are you talking about a different Carolina here? Huh

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 06:34:25 AM »

Aren't North and South Carolina a bitt too far away from Mexico anyway? Or are you talking about a different Carolina here? Huh

I was always under the impression that possibly Mortimer's younger/baby sister and her husband had migrated to Texas to start a new life, so I never thought that part of the film ever took place in the Carolinas. That would also explain why it possibly took that long for Mortimer to track down Indio. If there were no witnesses to the incident, he would have had no idea who did the deed. So he would have had to travel to Texas. I'll also presume that Mortimer honed his skills as a bounty killer while doing some investigating/detective work, and he probably finally got a lead on who done it when he heard rumors about a crazy Mexican bandit who had a musical pocket watch fetish, no?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 08:17:02 AM »

And in reality: how many Mexicans would ever get to Carolina area anyway in those days?  I surmise maybe the sister lived in Texas...

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 11:08:26 AM »

And in reality: how many Mexicans would ever get to Carolina area anyway in those days?  I surmise maybe the sister lived in Texas...

This makes a lot of sense to me. The Leone movies were filmed mostly in the Almeria area, and the landscape of the Tabernas desert is remarkably similiar to some of the deserts in the New Mexico-Arizona-Texas and Mexico areas.

tintinteslacoil
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 11:24:06 PM »

Re: the escape, not Col. Mortimer...

John probably blasts his way out; what else? It doesn't say in the book.  We never saw what he had in the newspaper--it handled like a rifle but shot real fast, like an automatic pistol.  He just grabbed and bam, bam, bammm...     Maybe some dynamite, too?   The universal excuse: " It's in the script."

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »

Over at the other thread (http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=9932.0) consensus is building that Sean/John didn't escape the pub.

In which case, the John/Sean we see in Mexico is a supernatural apparition (like Harmonica in OUATITW, and Noodles in OUATIA). That might make sense if Purgatory is supposed to resemble Mexico and John/Sean has been sent there to do penance. Mission accomplished, he rises to the next level, which is either Heaven or Ireland, depending on your preference.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
tintinteslacoil
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 04:33:53 PM »

Interesting!  I knew there was a lot more going on in DYS than most other Leone's, but not transcendentalism! Grin

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 05:22:17 PM »

How did Harmonica survive, or rather why didn't Frank and Co. kill him?

That never bothered me at all. Harmonica was a little kid; it may well be that Frank had some beef with his older brother, but no real problem with Harmonica himself. (Of course, Frank does kill a little kid later in his life, but there he had a "reason" to, and maybe he got more "careful" about rubbing out all witnesses later in life  Wink) in Harmonica's case, it could be Frank was just out to get rid of the brother who he hated; and since he had nothing against Harmonica himself, Frank didn't feel the need to kill him; he was satisfied with merely leaving Harmonica with a lifetime of trauma.

RE: the main question of this thread: Maybe the scene would work a bit better if there were only those 2 soldiers in the pub, rather than all those policemen as well. However, (while it is a bit difficult to say, as some here are saying, that he killed all the policemen), perhaps we can say that since Sean already had the rifle drawn and cocked, none of the policemen would dare reach for their guns, lest he shoot them dead as well. So maybe he was able to leave safely by pointing his rifle at them as he left (and perhaps he confiscated their guns before he left, etc.). This possibility, that he killed two soldiers in the presence of so many policemen and other witnesses, would nicely explain why he there was a price on his head which forced him to flee to Mexico  Smiley

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:32:05 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 05:30:48 PM »

BTW, did any1 notice the way the second officer falls to the ground? He puts his hands out to protect the first fallen actor. I doubt very much when your shot dead you care how or where you fall. That alone should have warranted a reshoot IMHO.

I noticed that, but it didn't bother me. Assuming the second officer didn't die the moment the bullet hit him, but was conscious as he was falling down, it is natural that when someone is falling, he puts his hand down to brace his fall. He was protecting himself, not the first dead officer.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »

RE: the main question of this thread: Maybe the scene would work a bit better if there were only those 2 soldiers in the pub, rather than all those policemen as well. However, (while it is a bit difficult to say, as some here are saying, that he killed all the policemen), perhaps we can say that since Sean already had the rifle drawn and cocked, none of the policemen would dare reach for their guns, lest he shoot them dead as well. So maybe he was able to leave safely by pointing his rifle at them as he left (and perhaps he confiscated their guns before he left, etc.). This possibility, that he killed two soldiers in the presence of so many policemen and other witnesses, would nicely explain why he there was a price on his head which forced him to flee to Mexico  Smiley

Maybe the cops weren't armed. I don't know if the Irish constabulatory went around packing heat but British police didn't carry firearms until relatively recently.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM