Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 09:22:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Notable scenes I have missed in the past.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Notable scenes I have missed in the past.  (Read 7697 times)
tales
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2010, 05:23:13 PM »

#1 When Tuco shoots the one armed man in the tub scene I never new or Knew (which ever one you prefer), that the one armed man was in the first shoot out of the film! ("When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk")
#2 When Tuco and Blondie are riding in the wagon together in one part Blondie's voice is dubbed over with a different voice from his own.
#3 When Blondie rolls down the hill in the desert and Tuco leads the horse down the hill after him, the horse falls and gets back up.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 06:22:30 PM by tales » Logged
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 02:12:07 AM »

Number 3 is news to me too.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 03:45:45 AM »

Me too.

I just took another look. We don't actually see the horse fall (which is probably why I never noticed it before). There is a cutaway, and when we come back to Tuco, the horse behind him is already struggling to get back on its feet.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Rudra
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 02:03:48 PM »

#2 When Tuco and Blondie are riding in the wagon together in one part Blondie's voice is dubbed over with a different voice from his own.
That scene was not included in the initial US release. It was only included in 2006 edition. For those scenes, Clint and Eli were brought back to the dubbing studios, hence you hear the difference in voice. After all, it has been more than 40 years since the making of GBU.

tales
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 06:19:04 PM »

I want to apologize to the readers of this web board for my incorrect usage of the English language in my initial post. I knew the word new was not correct I just forgot to change the word new to knew. Anyways, not to beat a dead horse but why was Tuco riding the horse that I think belonged to Angle Eyes when he was taking Blondie into the desert ? Or am I wrong?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 06:24:56 AM »

Oh it could be the same horse for sure, I'd have to pop in the DVD, they probably only had a limited amount of livestock for the film.  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 08:15:17 AM »

Anyways, not to beat a dead horse but why was Tuco riding the horse that I think belonged to Angle Eyes when he was taking Blondie into the desert ? Or am I wrong?

Be careful (with any film) exploring subtleties of film-making with DVDs.  Mrs. Cusser would be able to tell if it was the same horse (if we need to know), but let me disclose that she also knew that the "mule" from "Fistful" is not a mule, just a real ugly horse.

DVD stop action can also show that the poncho has sewn-up holes in it (usually worn on the off-camera side, but not always, from the "Fistful" scene, and even in "Fistful" careful scrutiny shows an earl scene with the sewn-up holes, because the final gunfight scene was shot earlier, and there was only one poncho.  So "be careful" in examining ANY film with such scrutinizing eyes.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 11:19:39 AM »

...the "mule" from "Fistful" is not a mule, just a real ugly horse.

I always did notice that, but I never understood why Clint (or the script) refers to that animal as being a "mule". I grew up in an area where one can find burros, mules and horses and the differences between those three animals are quite easy to spot. In a nutshell, mules are bigger than burros but their ears are significantly bigger than horse's.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 12:41:33 PM »

I like the fact that in the original German dub of the film (but not in the subsequent German dub) the mule has a name: Alphonse.

tales
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 07:27:16 PM »

Well I would have to say, I think the most enjoyment I get from these films is being able to quote some of the one liners they throw at each other, I drive my wife nuts when I use them on her !  I got some great ones from Deliverance !  Evil  I also enjoy it when I can find new facts about different scenes of a film.    

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:35:35 PM by tales » Logged
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 02:48:47 AM »

I like the fact that in the original German dub of the film (but not in the subsequent German dub) the mule has a name: Alphonse.

The subsequent dub, the one on the DVD, is in fact the original one.

The "Alphonse" dub was made in the late 70s for a re-release, and was for 15 or 20 years the only dub I knew. This dub uses mostly the same translated dialogues, but ads here and there a few unfunny "funny" lines. Unfortunately not untypical in these days.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 10:04:25 AM »

Wait, wait--you're telling me there was an original dub, then the Alphonse dub was made, which has been dumped, and now we're back to the first one? Well, that sounds just nutty enough to be true . . .

stanton, with your permission, I'm gonna add this info to the SL Encyclopedia.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:07:15 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 03:38:42 AM »

I think you don't need a permission for adding it.

The first 2 Dollar films both got a straight German dub for their original uncut release. But in the late 60s it became popular to make funny or partly funny dubs for films which weren't comedies. Hard to believe, but for several violent SWs only a bad dub filled with funny dialogues exists. Unwatchable.

In the 70s this became so popular that most of the European comedies were dubbed this way. Especailly the Spencer/Hill comedies were dubbed in this fashion. The first dub of Trinity is still my name was a straight one, but in the late 70s it was re-released in a shorter version with the then usual fun dub. And this version is so popular that most fans don't wanted to see the old version (which also had used other voices). There wasn't even a good print available to make a DVD, so that the first DVD of the long version was taken from a 16 mm print.
Spencer/Hill became so popular in the 70s that nearly all of their older films were re-dubbed into comedies to make some extra money. And they were surprisingly successful. I think they made often more money with the fun dub versions than with the original releases.
So the only way to watch films like e.g. God Forgives I Don't or the awful A Reason to Live a Reason to die were for many, many fun dubbed comedy versions for which most of the violence was cut out.
For several of these films the fun dub had substituted the original dubs for all VHS releases and TV showings, so that in some cases the original dub is lost, or was hard to find for DVD companies when they wanted to release these films uncut.

But I have no clue why they thought they had to make a new dub for the Dollar films for the re-release in the late 70s. Again the violence was pruned down in order to get a FSK 16 rating and both films had lost about 8 to 10 min. And again only these versions were released on VHS and shown until the late 90s on TV.
Only difference to the Spencer/Hill films was that only some parts used the funny lines, while the greater parts still used the old dialogue, only newly dubbed with often other dubbing speakers. Neither fish nor flesh as result

And now it becomes funny. The DVDs thankfully used the straight dub, but only the straight dub (maybe because the fun dub wasn't made for the complete film), and many fans began to complain that they wanted the fun dub back!

All strange but true.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 06:37:25 AM »

Thanks for that. Afro There's always something new to learn in Leoneworld.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 07:12:58 AM »

Something I forgot. At least for FaFDM they had also re-arranged parts of the score.

And there was one scene that was that good that I was totally disappointed that the original score didn't had it that way.
It is when Eastwood and 3 of Indio's gang awake in the morning at a campfire. Eastwood stands holding a cup of coffee in his hands, while the one of the sitting men says that the evening before he thought for a moment that Eastwood wasn't joking when talking about collecting their bounty. Then Eastwood answers that it wasn't a joke, and at the moment when the surprised bandits realise that they are in danger Eastwood drops his coffee cup, and in that moment the music starts. Fantastic!

But wrong.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM