Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 08:24:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Cowboys & Aliens (2011)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cowboys & Aliens (2011)  (Read 6981 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 07:44:03 PM »

My wife is a big James Craig fan so she drug me to Cowboys & Aliens, so I can review it.  Wink

First Thoughts:

Well since we all knew ahead of time what we were in for, my head was in the right place. I was expecting something similar to "The Wild Wild West' or some of those "Twilight Zone" episodes and even "Renegade" (Blueberry)that were placed in the old West and that's pretty much what I got.

The Good:

I can honestly say that the film did have a good Western feel to it, the costumes and the actors actually had that correct look that channeled the Golden Age Westerns. The hats weren't all flat brimmed Stetsons plopped ridiculously on heads that they don't fit like a lot of recent want to be Westerns,  but a nice mix and variety that you saw during the heyday of the Western on film & TV.  The actors also all looked believable.

I believe there is an off handed nod to "Django Kill If You Live Shoot" but it could be a co-inkydink  Cheesy

The landscapes were great no problems there.

The story was a check your brain at the BO type of story but you pretty much knew that ahead of time, and I'm sure there will be WTF questions if you think about it too much, lol.

There is one nice story twist with the Native Americans and one of the characters  that I won't reveal. Lips Sealed

The Bad:

The aliens are again basically the same old same old, another knock off of the aliens in "Alien", how many times are you going to see goop and slime covered extraterrestrials with telescoping body parts, its getting old and I don't go to that many syfy films. Add to the look the sped up and shaky cam action and we've seen it all before. Why not have humanoid aliens? But I guess Star Trek has a lock on that.

Alien ships and gizmos - see it all before.

The Indifferent:

The Sound design of the Western segments was decent, there was a score but nothing that remained with you afterwards

Anyway, it is what it is 6.6-7/10

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:53:47 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »

You make it sound like the western "stuff" are worth watching.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 11:15:25 AM »

I'd just say that it felt right, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 04:02:18 PM »

No, it's just that his wife reads what he writes in this forum.  Cool

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 06:04:16 PM »

No, it's just that his wife reads what he writes in this forum.  Cool
  Grin

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 08:30:46 AM »

My wife is a big James Craig fan so she drug me to Cowboys & Aliens, so I can review it.  Wink

First Thoughts:

Well since we all knew ahead of time what we were in for, my head was in the right place. I was expecting something similar to "The Wild Wild West' or some of those "Twilight Zone" episodes and even "Renegade" (Blueberry)that were placed in the old West and that's pretty much what I got.

The Good:

I can honestly say that the film did have a good Western feel to it, the costumes and the actors actually had that correct look that channeled the Golden Age Westerns. The hats weren't all flat brimmed Stetsons plopped ridiculously on heads that they don't fit like a lot of recent want to be Westerns,  but a nice mix and variety that you saw during the heyday of the Western on film & TV.  The actors also all looked believable.

I believe there is an off handed nod to "Django Kill If You Live Shoot" but it could be a co-inkydink  Cheesy

The landscapes were great no problems there.

The story was a check your brain at the BO type of story but you pretty much knew that ahead of time, and I'm sure there will be WTF questions if you think about it too much, lol.

There is one nice story twist with the Native Americans and one of the characters  that I won't reveal. Lips Sealed

The Bad:

The aliens are again basically the same old same old, another knock off of the aliens in "Alien", how many times are you going to see goop and slime covered extraterrestrials with telescoping body parts, its getting old and I don't go to that many syfy films. Add to the look the sped up and shaky cam action and we've seen it all before. Why not have humanoid aliens? But I guess Star Trek has a lock on that.

Alien ships and gizmos - see it all before.

The Indifferent:

The Sound design of the Western segments was decent, there was a score but nothing that remained with you afterwards

Anyway, it is what it is 6.6-7/10

Yes this is basically spot on, plus what titoli (I think) said about Ford who is as bad here as he ever was.

The aliens were really lame but I personally can't think how they could have been better... 😑

Still, I wasn't bored.  6.5/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 02:28:11 PM »

Maybe his wife killed him meanwhile ...

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2014, 01:43:29 AM »

Maybe his wife killed him meanwhile ...

Hahaha Afro

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2014, 06:53:19 AM »

To those who haven't seen the film: don't listen to those guys, because they are plain wrong. Just watch the trailer, the 10 cool shots of the film are in it. Everything that is not in the trailer is 2/10. Also, a full film may have been good but they completly forgot to hire somebody who would find a story so it's basically:

Cowboys!
And aliens!
Damn aliens, let's find them.
Fight!
Twist*!
The end.

*It's just a regular twist. In order to have a PLOT twist you also need a plot.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2014, 07:19:21 AM »

You forgot the main attraction. The aliens and also the cowboys are only Mcguffins, they are well, not important, but you need them as an excuse for what the film is really about, and actually this film is about Olivia Wilde. Which makes the film watchable despite all other flaws.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2014, 10:12:43 AM »

You forgot the main attraction. The aliens and also the cowboys are only Mcguffins, they are well, not important, but you need them as an excuse for what the film is really about, and actually this film is about Olivia Wilde. Which makes the film watchable despite all other flaws.

Grin

Telling the truth, I thought her outfit was terrible.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:14:16 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2014, 01:59:56 PM »

Makes you think if they made this film about 25 years ago, they would've got Clint Eastwood to play Harrison Ford's part and Harrison Ford to play Daniel Craig's part.

**************** ZZ TOPīs 1st Gig **************
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2014, 02:31:38 PM »

Grin

Telling the truth, I thought her outfit was terrible.

Hmm, ... well, yes ... that really looks awful ... she obviously had to suffer in that film. But as I can't remember her wearing that shitty dress,  her acting (or her looks) must have overcome the film's shortcomings in every respect.

(is that image really from the film? )

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2014, 02:54:18 PM »

Yes that's really in from film. I remember thinking "she's nothing to do here" every time she was on screen (and I like her) only because of her outfit. I think you're in love.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2014, 05:39:07 AM »

I think you're in love.

Fuck, now that you say it ... you are right ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM