Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 01:26:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Toy Story 3 (2010)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Toy Story 3 (2010)  (Read 1234 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2010, 06:13:18 PM »

Did anybody see this?
I thought it was great.

Didn't see many films in the cinema this year but I thought it was the best of the lot.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 06:16:28 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 06:22:04 PM »

2010 movies I would fuck: Shutter Island, 127 Hours
2010 movies I would suck off: Toy Story 3, The Social Network

so ya, not the best but pretty fuckin good

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 06:30:13 PM »

Toy Story 3 - 7/10 - A lot of this film (perhaps too much) depends on good will from the audience. If you liked the first two and are able to empathize with Woody, Buzz and Co., you'll probably enjoy this one on some level. However, I think the movie played too heavily on the sentimentality/emotion angle: there were a lot of funny bits (especially Buzz en Espanol) but the movie's awfully sad and dreary for a kid's movie, and it doesn't have enough of a payoff to make all this dreariness work. Plus the ending is interminable. It's enjoyable on some level, but I'm wondering how someone with no Toy Story experience would take it.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 08:25:41 PM »

Toy Story 3 - 7/10 - A lot of this film (perhaps too much) depends on good will from the audience. If you liked the first two and are able to empathize with Woody, Buzz and Co., you'll probably enjoy this one on some level. However, I think the movie played too heavily on the sentimentality/emotion angle: there were a lot of funny bits (especially Buzz en Espanol) but the movie's awfully sad and dreary for a kid's movie, and it doesn't have enough of a payoff to make all this dreariness work. Plus the ending is interminable. It's enjoyable on some level, but I'm wondering how someone with no Toy Story experience would take it.

I think you're right. You'd need to watch and enjoy the previous films to enjoy this one.

I think you're wrong about it not being children's fare though.
I believe children need to be exposed to the heavy material that is brought up in this movie.

Ironically most children probably won't be affected by the film as much as adults would be.
So in that way, it's a film for everybody.
Provided you know the previous two well.
But like any film title that ends with the number 2 or 3... that is to be expected.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:13:05 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 09:03:01 PM »

I think the "heavy material" was already adequately explored in the second film. Even saying that, the movie doesn't exactly end on a sad note, and Jenkins had a good post on the RTMYS thread about the disingenuousness of the whole last scene with Andy.

Mostly though I have problems with the tone being inconsistent. There's some potentially dark and depressing stuff in there, but they don't have the balls to go the whole way. (The incinerator scene being the obvious example.) You can't (or shouldn't, perhaps) get that close to gloom and then pull back at the last minute. Disney films have done that (cf. Bambi, The Lion King, The Hunchback of Notre Dame) so it's not out of the question for a kid's flick.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 02:09:19 AM »

I think the "heavy material" was already adequately explored in the second film.

Which is one of the few problems the film has. It repeats certain themes already explored.
Which is why I don't consider it to be quite as good as the first two (although it comes REALLY close).

You can't (or shouldn't, perhaps) get that close to gloom and then pull back at the last minute. Disney films have done that (cf. Bambi, The Lion King, The Hunchback of Notre Dame) so it's not out of the question for a kid's flick.

I know what you mean but I'm not certain if those films are the best examples seeing as none of the characters in them that get axed are essential to the plot once they've fulfilled their purpose (Simba's father, Bambi's mother).

Burning Woody, Buzz and the gang to a crisp would have been irresponsible considering that is hardly a proper resolution to the story regardless of it being a children's film. In fact, it would have come off as a complete cop out. Not to mention it would be ridiculously depressing.

Hunchback is a good example as it's a film that does not shy away from adult subject matter but it has different themes than the film in question.
Toy Story 3 is mostly about when to leave childish things behind. The themes presented in Hunchback are a lot deeper and much more adult than that.
Plus, there is a happy ending in that one as well and, dare I say, a happier one than the bitter sweet ending of Toy Story 3.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:11:10 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM