Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2018, 10:59:54 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Best Mike Hammer
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4]
: Best Mike Hammer  ( 21487 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #45 : September 16, 2012, 06:59:29 PM »

Fun Article

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/58/58kissmedeadly.php

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #46 : October 21, 2012, 01:58:52 PM »

WARNER BROS. TO RESURRECT NOIR HERO MIKE HAMMER http://screencrush.com/warner-bros-to-resurrect-noir-hero-mike-hammer/

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #47 : December 26, 2012, 09:32:13 PM »

Yes dj was telling me about them on the OUTIA location tour, he said they weren't bad, but the 22 minute run time for each episode streamlines the stories quite a bit.

Picked up this box set for 1/2 price at Barnes & Nobel enjoying the shit out of them, surprisingly well made with great sets and lots of NYC location establishing shots  O0 O0 O0

« : December 26, 2012, 09:34:48 PM cigar joe »

Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

« #48 : March 15, 2013, 12:19:43 AM »

When I think of noir, I think of The New Mike Hammer, which they put on TV late at night, here in Australia.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #49 : March 16, 2013, 03:25:24 AM »

When I think of noir, I think of The New Mike Hammer, which they put on TV late at night, here in Australia.

Which one? the Stacey Keach version?

Senza
Bounty Killer

« #50 : March 16, 2013, 03:50:23 AM »

Yep.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Senza
Bounty Killer

« #51 : March 16, 2013, 03:51:37 AM »

I'm not sure if it's because of the moustache, or the fact that he is a private investigator, but he reminds a lot of Tom Selleck as Magnum, which is probably my 2nd favourite TV show.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #52 : August 06, 2013, 11:14:16 AM »

The Long Wait (1954) This is no Hammer and no NYC but is 50's Spillane, it has Anthony Quinn and Charles Coburn and for the first 3\4 it is very good. The plot hangs on a spit but the single scenes are good because of Quinn. He is  simply perfect but he doesn't look like a Spillane's character, with his Indio traits. Still he makes every scene worth watching. The females, with one exception, are barely over the low average of those in  Kiss Me Deadly. The scene with Quinn tied to a chair will make CJ happy: photographed in as noir style  as can be. The score is by the immigrant italian composer Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco: it seems he was the one who taught the other american film composers who came on the scene from the 40's on.  Anyway I think this earns a 8\10 and probably is also worth a dvd release. 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #53 : August 06, 2013, 05:31:49 PM »

The Long Wait (1954) This is no Hammer and no NYC but is 50's Spillane, it has Anthony Quinn and Charles Coburn and for the first 3\4 it is very good. The plot hangs on a spit but the single scenes are good because of Quinn. He is  simply perfect but he doesn't look like a Spillane's character, with his Indio traits. Still he makes every scene worth watching. The females, with one exception, are barely over the low average of those in  Kiss Me Deadly. The scene with Quinn tied to a chair will make CJ happy: photographed in as noir style  as can be. The score is by the immigrant italian composer Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco: it seems he was the one who taught the other american film composers who came on the scene from the 40's on.  Anyway I think this earns a 8\10 and probably is also worth a dvd release.  

Nice to hear.

Almost done with Mike Hammer (79 episodes, 1958-1959) starring Darren McGavin as a pretty confrontational though tongue-in-cheek Hammer, quick with his fists and his gun. I have about a disc & a half left to go. As with any series there are ups and downs. There were two back to back outstanding ones I watched the other night "Doll Trouble" and "I Remember Sally".

The negatives:
    • Runtime: 30 minutes, minus commercials, intro and end credits they are probably actually around 25 minutes
    • Aside from Hammer (McGavin), Pat Chambers (Bart Burns 21 episodes), and coke bottle glasses wearing Geta (Vitto Scotti 7 episodes) not a whole lot of series regular (if you even call them that) character development
    • No Velda this Hammer is pretty low rent seeming to live in his office
    • A minor irritation, every time Hammer hails a cab it looks like the same one (a tail fin Dodge or Plymouth) and WTF its never an A8 Checker, lol, I'd say 9/10 times if you hailed a cab in the late 1950's it would have been a Checker
    • Geta's Candy Store/Soda Shop set is too square, un-realistic these type of stores are invariably long and narrow, and Scotti's Geta is to clownish
    • A far fetched aspect of the series is Pat Chambers, since Spillane's concept for the character of Hammer was based on former Newburgh, New York police officer Jack Stang, it seems that likewise the Chambers character is written as if he is a small town homicide chief, the real NYC is composed of a myriad of precincts and no way in hell would Chambers have jurisdictional authority all over Manhattan and all the boroughs that Hammer ranges over

The positives:
    • McGavin is a good Hammer/Liddlle composite, though it is Spillane's character, this Hammer, so far, has not had any over the top Gov/Commie story-lines. Frank Kane who also wrote detective fiction, creating Big Apple private eye Johnny Liddell, wrote over thirty books and countless short stories is credited with 23 episodes during the run which may account for the realistic small cases feel of the show, titoli, has read quite a few the Liddlle stories and can probably add more to this bullet point
    • For the short run times the stories move along with great economy and good use of McGavins first person narration to bridge the set pieces
    • A lot of NYC on location sequences with McGavin walking the streets, driving his 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 convertible around Manhattan, or hopping in taxis gives the show a nice Neo Realist feel
    • All the babes are hammertomically correct
    • Occasional Noir-ish lighting and Dutch angels used
    • The majority of the sets have a nice sleazy look complimenting the stories
    • Lots of action, the episodes either feature fisticuffs (McGavin held a black belt in traditional Japanese karate and the series are notable for him doing many of his own stunts and for the "enthusiasm" he put into some of the fight scenes, sometimes forgetting to pull his punches and "ad-libbing" moves) or a lot of sudden and quick blazing gun fights in cramped quarters with the bad guys ending up dead
    • decent theme music "Rift Blues"
    • Set in close to the correct time period for the first seven Spillane Hammer novels

As soon as I finish the series I'll probably re-watch them and rate them individually.[/list]

« : August 07, 2013, 03:57:52 AM cigar joe »

titoli
    Bounty Killer

« #54 : August 07, 2013, 07:37:04 AM »

My Gun Is Quick (1957) Reminded me of Kiss Me Deadly. Shot in SF I guess. Bray is a very good Hammer (though his face is too lean) and he offers a very typical spillanesque scene when he mistreats the little barman. But I can't put up with the California locales. It is like bringing Marlowe in NYC. The females are of the low order: worst-looking Velma ever, though the female lead is 7\10, like trhe movie.

titoli
    Bounty Killer

« #55 : August 07, 2013, 07:47:29 AM »

Here's the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAiued1AWzw

cigar joe
    Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #56 : September 03, 2013, 08:12:16 PM »

Mike Hammer (79 episodes, 1958-1959)

A minor irritation, every time Hammer hails a cab it looks like the same one (a tail fin Dodge or Plymouth) and WTF its never an A8 Checker, lol, I'd say 9/10 times if you hailed a cab in the late 1950's it would have been a Checker

I take that back, watched a film from late 50's that had a street shot of NYC almost all the cabs were Dodges or Plymouth's with tail fins.

T.H.
    Bounty Killer

« #57 : October 05, 2013, 12:00:34 PM »

My Gun is Quick (1957)

TV crap. Boring, draggy, plodding, visually dull. The cast was decent - though Robert Bray is a TV actor if there ever was one - but everything else falls flat. The "action" scenes are incredibly dull, this might have one of the most boring car chases of all time. After reading Spillane's first two novels and watching this dreck, I definitely consider myself a Kiss Me Deadly fan more than a Hammer/Spillane admirer. This adaption is built on the worst of the two novels - with the preachy dialogue and general hokiness but doesn't contain any of the rawness.

I'm a little hesitant to watch I, the Jury (1953) now. On a side note, saw a good chunk of the '82 adaptation a while back and thought it was mediocre at best.

5/10. Bad.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
    : 1 2 3 [4]  
    « previous next »
    :  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines