Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2018, 04:35:53 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Best Mike Hammer
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3 4
: Best Mike Hammer  ( 21694 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #15 : February 15, 2011, 10:59:20 AM »

Thanx for the infos. I hadn't realized there was that much of real NY- Of course I had presumed that the real NYC was to be seen only with Spillane alone in the shot. Still, I thought it was less than that. About the pork-pie hat, well, I like Spillane with that on. And what it doesn't work with him is the voice: not the bass voice you'd expect from Hammer. And still, I can't imagine another actor pronouncing as effectively those frightening last words.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #16 : February 16, 2011, 03:07:28 AM »

I can't imagine how you can come up with Broderick Crawford as Hammer: Hammer with a paunch?! And it has no rotund face (like the rube who played him in I, the Jury). His is an angular face: Spillane's is the model.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17 : February 16, 2011, 04:24:31 AM »

Broderick more for his demeanor and delivery, but you are right about the paunch, as for modern day actors who could pull him off maybe Willis, Masden, Rourke.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #18 : February 16, 2011, 08:15:52 AM »

Broderick more for his demeanor and delivery, but you are right about the paunch, as for modern day actors who could pull him off maybe Willis, Masden, Rourke.

Willis, of the three: though I don't know whether there's not a better choice around. And then, I don't know who Masden is, but if you mean this one,

then I don't understand how you can come up with Crawford.

« : February 16, 2011, 08:17:34 AM titoli »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #19 : February 16, 2011, 07:41:27 PM »

no Madsen must have dyslexia  ;)

This guy:

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/michael-madsen-vic-vega.jpg

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #20 : February 16, 2011, 11:54:24 PM »

Oh yeah, that figures...And still I pick Spillane, once again.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #21 : February 17, 2011, 04:48:55 AM »

Like you said though Spillane's voice doesn't work and he's a bit too short for me.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #22 : March 28, 2011, 11:18:22 AM »

I, The Jury (1982) I just can't understand how Max Allan Collins can be enthusiastic about this. The reviews at IMDB are rather more spot on. Assante as Hammer? Give me a break. This is a good action flick with a couple of good car chases and another couple of good action scenes. Some good use of squibs, Barbara Carrera at her sultriest and lots of pretty girls. But where is Mike Hammer's NYC? Where is Mike Hammer's night? Where is the dirt, the sleaze, the hidden part of the city? I insist that, with all his faults, Girl Hunters is the only movie which gives a hint of what is to be found in the books. The score by Bill Conti is very good. 7\10 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #23 : March 28, 2011, 02:52:22 PM »

I, The Jury (1982) I just can't understand how Max Allan Collins can be enthusiastic about this. The reviews at IMDB are rather more spot on. Assante as Hammer? Give me a break. This is a good action flick with a couple of good car chases and another couple of good action scenes. Some good use of squibs, Barbara Carrera at her sultriest and lots of pretty girls. But where is Mike Hammer's NYC? Where is Mike Hammer's night? Where is the dirt, the sleaze, the hidden part of the city? I insist that, with all his faults, Girl Hunters is the only movie which gives a hint of what is to be found in the books. The score by Bill Conti is very good. 7\10  

Agreed, from what I remember of it sounds about right. Too bad. It must have been shot in downtown LA.

Spillane and Hammer came along just at the wrong time, right at the end of true Noir and too early for the down and dirty sexuality of the 70's, so the films based on him were invariably missing either 50's Noir or they have it and lack the over the top sleazy sexuality.

« : March 28, 2011, 03:06:39 PM cigar joe »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #24 : March 28, 2011, 10:52:29 PM »

Spillane and Hammer came along just at the wrong time, right at the end of true Noir

I, The Jury  is 1947. No end of noir then.  I don't know what went wrong with movie rights but probably there was mismanagement there.
The Assante movie was shot in a sunny NYC.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #25 : March 29, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »

I, The Jury  is 1947. No end of noir then.  I don't know what went wrong with movie rights but probably there was mismanagement there.
The Assante movie was shot in a sunny NYC.

No, not the first one or Kiss Me Deadly, but all the rest after the end of true noir, glad to hear the Assante film was shot in NY, I don't remember it that well except for it being set in the wrong time period.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #26 : March 29, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »

No, not the first one or Kiss Me Deadly, but all the rest after the end of true noir,

You're not a Hammer scholar or fan: :'(

# 1947 I, the Jury - Mike Hammer
# 1950 My Gun Is Quick - Mike Hammer
# 1950 Vengeance Is Mine! - Mike Hammer
# 1951 The Big Kill - Mike Hammer
# 1951 The Long Wait
# 1951 One Lonely Night - Mike Hammer
# 1952 Kiss Me, Deadly - Mike Hammer

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #27 : March 30, 2011, 03:17:18 AM »

You're not a Hammer scholar or fan: :'(

# 1947 I, the Jury - Mike Hammer
# 1950 My Gun Is Quick - Mike Hammer
# 1950 Vengeance Is Mine! - Mike Hammer
# 1951 The Big Kill - Mike Hammer
# 1951 The Long Wait
# 1951 One Lonely Night - Mike Hammer
# 1952 Kiss Me, Deadly - Mike Hammer

Not the books I'm talking about, the films  ;), most of them were made after the end of what I would consider noir, "My gun Is Quick" with its California Boats & Beach house setting feel is sort of on the cusp, and  those establishing shots in "The Girl Hunters" don't balance with those English cop accents. Granted I haven't read extensively in crime/detective fiction but of what little I have read of Spillane he seems to have way more descriptive sex than his predecessors. But I could be wrong, you may know better than I.

Films:

* I, the Jury (United Artists, 1953) noir

* Kiss Me Deadly (United Artists, 1955) noir

* My Gun Is Quick (United Artists, 1957) just the initial opening lunch counter sequence, then no.

* The Girl Hunters (Colorama Features, 1963)

* Margin For Murder (TV movie, 1981)

* I, the Jury (20th Century Fox, 1982)

* Come Die With Me (Fox, 1994)

« : March 30, 2011, 03:24:17 AM cigar joe »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #28 : March 30, 2011, 05:57:36 AM »

Exactly what I mean: movies started being made only after Spillane had temporarily given up writing. Why weren't they made before?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #29 : March 30, 2011, 03:17:21 PM »

Exactly what I mean: movies started being made only after Spillane had temporarily given up writing. Why weren't they made before?

I'm thinking they couldn't do them justice at the time and when things got looser when you do it, it was past the studio period noirs and well into the late 1960's early 70's.

: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines