Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 03:10:14 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rare Exports (2010)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rare Exports (2010)  (Read 1244 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2010, 01:34:14 PM »

Lets move this thing here...

Rare Exports (2010) - 7/10
Fun.
That's it? Nothing more to say?
Sums it up pretty well. If you like fun movies, it's for you. All I can add is that it's surprisingly "sincere" (can't find a better word). Its basic attitude is not ironic or sarcastic, though that's what I was expecting. Is it running in NYC?
Very obscurely.
After moviesceleton's ecstatic review, I tracked this down in the one NY theater that was playing it and forked over my $13.

Rare Exports (2010) 8/10. Santa Claus is coming to town . . . and you'd better not be there when he arrives! I thought this was not only "fun" but great fun. The reasons are several: the use of Christmas traditions in new and clever ways; scenic views of Northern Finland and the presentation of modern Lapp culture (not readily available to us in other films); an all-male cast with a problem to solve (with all the adult males wearing handsome beards); and, best of all, a young star convincingly determined to take out the bad guy. This kid has the situation sussed by the finish of the opening credits, and when the adults don't heed him, he swings into action on his own. No whimpering or crying to mom here! Everybody eventually gets on board, of course, and there is the usual mission-ending explosion.  But the epilogue--what a payoff! (literally). This is a great film for fathers and sons to view together.  Watching this every season is gonna be a new Jenkins Family tradition.
Glad you liked it. And it's interesting to hear a foreigner's opinion on the movie. But I have to tell you one thing: The scenic views are not from Northern Finland but Norway. They shot the movie there because of the better landscape (and some financial support).

I guess you were not aware of the Rare Exports short films, Rare Exports Inc. and Rare Exports: The Official Safety Instructions. They are available on YouTube. I've only seen the former. They don't have much story, but if you want to put the three films on a timeline, the feature film kinda precedes the short films. So the epilogue wasn't such a big surprise for me.

You mention "the use of Christmas traditions in new and clever ways". I'm not sure if you know that the Santa Claus in the movie is very strongly inspired by the Father Christmas stories in Finnish folklore. The director, Jalmari Helander, has described his movie as a kind of a revenge on the American "Coca Cola" Santa Claus.

It seems like I'm going to see it again on Monday. My sister can't go to see it on her own so I have to go with her. Suits me, as long as my mom pays for the tickets.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 05:15:02 PM »

I guess you were not aware of the Rare Exports short films, Rare Exports Inc. and Rare Exports: The Official Safety Instructions. They are available on YouTube. I've only seen the former. They don't have much story, but if you want to put the three films on a timeline, the feature film kinda precedes the short films. So the epilogue wasn't such a big surprise for me.

You mention "the use of Christmas traditions in new and clever ways". I'm not sure if you know that the Santa Claus in the movie is very strongly inspired by the Father Christmas stories in Finnish folklore.
No, I was waiting for some Finnish guy to tell me these things. Finally!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 05:56:17 AM »

Saw it for a second time and I'm ready to raise my rating to 7.5/10 or even 8/10.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 02:56:37 PM »

Blu-ray! http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews55/rare_exports_blu-ray.htm

The money quote:
Oscilloscope Laboratories have supplied us with a highly impressive Blu-ray of a wonderful Finnish gem; Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale.  The image quality is solid with excellent contrast supporting healthy detail. This is dual-layered with a very high bitrate and the visuals are very showcasing depth and exhibiting healthy, rich black levels. Colors are bright and true and the frequent darkness has no digital noise encumbrances. The cinematography utilizes some majestic mountain scenery (in Norway) and the 2.35:1 scope maximizes the widescreen effect.  This Blu-ray has no flaws that I could detect - the image is clean and dynamically sharp sporting vibrant, yet un-manipulated colors. Big Thumbs up!

Does Jenkins have his order in for this? Boy howdy!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 05:38:50 PM »

Another rave: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rare-Exports-A-Christmas-Tale-Blu-ray/27535/#Review

Note that both Beaver and Blu-ray.com agree that, not only is the movie great, the blu-ray transfer is immaculate.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 05:42:07 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM