Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 02:27:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Cat Ballou (1965)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cat Ballou (1965)  (Read 1575 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2010, 02:44:30 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059017/

This is a very silly movie, I don't think there's any reason to go into details, right?

That been said, let's move straight to the performances:

1) Lee Marvin. Steals most (better make it all) of the scenes he's in. I thought he was hilarious, huge. The scene when he's checking the hotel rooms for his arch-nemesis is probably the best. Can't remember who was also nominated for an Oscar in his category that year, but his win is well deserved.

2) Jane Fonda *slightly* over the top, but enjoyable as the movie progresses, she makes it all worth in the scene with Sir Harry Percival, near the very end of the movie.

3) John Marley has a few hilarious moments of his own, as Frankie Ballou, Cat's old father. When he says he isn't afraid of that Tim Strawn character, but rather of the guy who bit his nose off: hahaha.

I don't know how much should I give it, the movie as a whole is really a joke, and I don't care for it. I'll be fair: in the future I'll rather watch the clips uploaded on YT than revisit it.

So, let's settle with a diplomatic 6.5/10, and Merry Christmas to all you good people out there. Afro

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 01:27:25 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 06:10:15 PM »

fair enough  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 06:19:08 AM »

Agreed.  Afro

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 11:38:27 AM »

Very much worse of what I expected, unfunny throughout. Marvin got an Oscar for it? Then they should have given two to Hill or Spencer for the Trinities. 4/10

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 01:42:12 PM »

I like Cat Ballou to a certain extent. 7/10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 02:24:09 PM »

Marvin got an Oscar for it? Then they should have given two to Hill or Spencer for the Trinities. 4/10

Long time no see so I don't remember much, but with the second part I agree. Smiley

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 07:09:12 AM »

Although it is mainly played for laughs I think there is just enough dark stuff in it for other viewers as well. I like  the way that the story is narrated by singers. The biggest laugh I have during this is the antics of Uncle Jed on the train. He is played by Dwayne Hickman as the drunkard posing as  a preacher.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »

Everybody knows that the horse got the Oscar...

Thank heavens for Enzo Barboni, Girotti & Pedersoli. THOSE films were and still are funny.
American western comedies never really really fully worked (BLAZING SADDLES maybe and some others I can't remember now).

I always had the notion, that those kind of scripts had been written with the midwest audience in mind.
Can't imagine people in New York or Paris laughed that hard about most of these harmless
and often vintage jokes. BUT of course we like those films anyway. We love western films and
the actors in those years were much more fun to watch than the milk-faces these days.
James Garner, Jack Elam, Burt Reynolds...
CAT BALLOU is saved by Jane Fonda (my #2 after Audrey), Lee Marvin, Nat King Cole...
Cat Ballou, Cat Ballouuuhuuuu....

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 10:59:17 AM »

I haven't seen the film since 1977. I guess it's time for a re-watch . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 04:24:57 PM »

Everybody knows that the horse got the Oscar...

Thank heavens for Enzo Barboni, Girotti & Pedersoli. THOSE films were and still are funny.
American western comedies never really really fully worked (BLAZING SADDLES maybe and some others I can't remember now).

The Sheepman and Support Your Local Sheriff are quite good and very funny. Some Buster Keaton stuff, and one or two with Bob Hops also.

On the other hand most if not all SW comedies apart from the ones by Barboni are more or less lousy, at least very unfunny.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM