Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 06:50:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)  (Read 79149 times)
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2005, 10:21:28 AM »

ooh sorry dont agree there. alien is as powerful and it was then, its all about tension that film and its palpable, much better than the second one, its great, but its a shoot-em-up, alien was a horror film really

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2005, 12:42:35 PM »

i guess it all depends if you can appreciate a well done "theres-a-monster-in-the-house" flick... i personally love 'em, if they are done right.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2005, 01:41:03 PM »

Well, I have yet to see any of them done better than this. The closest would be Carpenter's The Thing. In Alien, less IS more.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 04:01:55 PM »

Rumour has it that Ridley Scott's next film will be a western. Few of todays filmmakers has an eye for detail comparable to Ridley Scott, and I would love to see him do a western. Add a Hans Zimmer score to that, and I'll be there on the premiere. After the mildly dissapointing Kingdom of Heaven (and don't get me started on how much I disliked Black Hawk Down), this should put him right back on top in my book. It's based on a novel called Blood Meridian, which Empire describes as a "grim, bloody, nihilistic yet lyrical masterpiece". Sounds great. Read more about it here: http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/news/newsstory.asp?news_id=16763

I heard that none other than "Bloody Sam" was planning to make this film around the time of his death.  (Just in case no one else pointed this out already.  Roll Eyes)

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 07:33:53 PM »

i guess it all depends if you can appreciate a well done "theres-a-monster-in-the-house" flick... i personally love 'em, if they are done right.
Yeah, but how many times can you watch the same one over and over? Once you've memorized all the shock visuals and audio stings, what is there left to enjoy? It would be impossible to watch, say, Alien 100 times, but I imagine that in my lifetime I'll have watched each of the Leone films at least that many times.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 11:45:45 AM »

Since there hasn't been much activity here for a while, I guess I'll point out that the Ridley Scott western is for real, though it's quasi-historical in content and he's serving solely as producer.  I guess that's Scott's thing now.

Anyway, the film is called The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, and is based on the novel of the same name by Ron Hansen.  Not as exciting as the rumor that kicked off this thread, certainly.  I guess we can all keep hoping.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2007, 11:56:37 PM »

Here's an early review from Filmjerk.com. Interesting stuff. Here's an excerpt of the review I found interesting....

"No matter what shape the final film takes, I suspect it will be the best film the genre has seen since the days of Leone and Peckinpah. Yes, “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford” is better than “Unforgiven.” Better than “Dances with Wolves.” Better than “Silverado” or “Wyatt Earp” or any other Western in the past thirty years. I cannot wait to see it again for the first time."

mmmmmm really Huh

Anyway, here's the full review.

http://www.filmjerk.com/news/article.php?id_new=514

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 12:09:46 AM by Tucumcari_Bound » Logged

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Man with no dame
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 12:57:00 AM »

Here's an early review from Filmjerk.com. Interesting stuff. Here's an excerpt of the review I found interesting....

"No matter what shape the final film takes, I suspect it will be the best film the genre has seen since the days of Leone and Peckinpah. Yes, “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford” is better than “Unforgiven.” Better than “Dances with Wolves.” Better than “Silverado” or “Wyatt Earp” or any other Western in the past thirty years. I cannot wait to see it again for the first time."

mmmmmm really Huh

Anyway, here's the full review.

http://www.filmjerk.com/news/article.php?id_new=514

Wow, if I may be so bold!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 03:10:43 PM »

Yes, “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford” is better than “Unforgiven.” Better than “Dances with Wolves.” Better than “Silverado” or “Wyatt Earp” or any other Western in the past thirty years.
Still, that sets the bar pretty low, doesn't it?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 04:41:44 PM »

yeah it kinda does but he did mention as great as Leone so theres hope Afro

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2007, 05:04:13 PM »

That long film title suggests that this movie is attempting to be historically accurate.I can hardly remember a thing about it,but i once saw a Jesse James documentary that suggested that the circumstances around James death are a complete myth, and (unless my memory's totally betraying me) that he may even have survived. Undecided

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »

Are you kidding me? Sets the bar pretty low? I don't think so. We're talking about Unforgiven  and Dances With Wolves here, two MASTERPIECE'S in my opinion.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 05:25:22 PM by Tucumcari_Bound » Logged

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2007, 06:04:21 PM »

Are you kidding me? Sets the bar pretty low? I don't think so. We're talking about Unforgiven  and Dances With Wolves here, two MASTERPIECE'S in my opinion.

Dances with Wolves was OK and so was Unforgiven

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2007, 07:11:28 PM »

Two pictures that won Best Picture are far from OK. That's just your opinion kurug3n. Now, needless to say, I do not always agree with the Academy but in my opinion they had them both right here. Yes, Dances With Wolves deserved it that year. It's an extremely beautifully well made EPIC. And Unforgiven? Come one, it only contains one of the best last 20 minutes to any film ever.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2007, 07:13:03 PM »

Yea I'll agree with that, They were just OK.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM