Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 12:09:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)  (Read 78324 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2007, 07:44:12 PM »

Dances with Wolves was OK and so was Unforgiven

Yea I'll agree with that, They were just OK.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Angry Angry Angry

Oh well. It's strange being on a western thread where many people acknowledge Unforgiven as "OK". I've never heard that on other message boards.  Huh Huh

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2007, 08:12:23 PM »

I guess I want less dialog driven dramas, more surrealistic sets, more Iconic characters, Morricone Music, we need more Leone style westerns.

I was watching one of the documentaries with Frayling in the new anthology and he was saying Leone created a whole new genre (he was meaning SW's), but I'm beginning to think its more than that and I'm taking that literally now, with FAFDM, GBU, & OUTITW, its Leonesque Westerns I crave !

I don't think we'll truly get a mind blower unless somebody follows his formula. Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2007, 08:19:23 PM »

I guess I want less dialog driven dramas, more surrealistic sets, more Iconic characters, Morricone Music, we need more Leone style westerns.

I was watching one of the documentaries with Frayling in the new anthology and he was saying Leone created a whole new genre (he was meaning SW's), but I'm beginning to think its more than that and I'm taking that literally now, with FAFDM, GBU, & OUTITW, its Leonesque Westerns I crave !

I don't think we'll truly get a mind blower unless somebody follows his formula. Afro

I understand what you're saying cigar, totally. Sergio Leone's style is incredible and it will be hard if we see anything like his work again. Unforgiven in a way was a more traditional western, but boy I loved it! It's all just a matter of opinion I guess. Some people hated the slow build up. I loved it! Some people hated the score of the film. It blew me away! It always amazes me how a simple piece of music such as "Claudia's Theme" can be so powerful and beautiful. An extremely touching theme.

I've also mentioned the ending. From the start of the conversation William Munny has with the Scofield Kid on the Hill as the girl approaches with their reward money, I'm absolutely blown away at the beauty of the filming. And when he finds out Ned is dead, wow, it is on. Powerful scene.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2007, 10:57:11 PM »

And when he finds out Ned is dead, wow, it is on. Powerful scene.

to me after he rode away i was like Thats It?!?!? Shocked Shocked Shocked Angry Angry

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2007, 11:30:22 PM »

to me after he rode away i was like Thats It?!?!? Shocked Shocked Shocked Angry Angry

Hey, it's just a matter of opinion I guess.  Smiley

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2007, 05:23:44 AM »

Mmmm. I can't wait for it...

Brad is sometimes a good actor, when he needs more than lookin' nice, and Jesse James is a good role. I think he'll work.
And who plays Robert Ford?  Smiley

Western is rising again in our times, it seems.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2007, 06:07:29 AM »

I think part of the problem is there are hardly any Westerns being made, so that any that come along are an event & elevated on a pedestal and practically worshiped, lol.

"Unforgiven" was Eastwoods most ambicious Western to date, it was bigger than all the lower budgets he did before with major stars, that helped immensely.

"Dances With Wolves" is going to seem dated in the future its a bit too peace & love, probably like "Soldier Blue" fits in the Vietnam Era.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2007, 08:56:03 AM »

Honestly though. For the western genre to make it all the way back, how many westerns a year would you like to see made?

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2007, 09:40:07 AM »

Not very much, but good ones. 10-15 would be enough... with good actors and directors.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2007, 09:57:05 AM »

Not very much, but good ones. 10-15 would be enough... with good actors and directors.

I would absolutely be content with 10-15 westerns being made a year. That would be perfect in my opinion!

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2007, 02:24:11 PM »

I agree with CJ.

Unless we see more brutal, action-packed westerns with lots of visual style the western will remain a dead genre.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2007, 04:02:02 PM »

it only contains one of the best last 20 minutes to any film ever.

The build up to the climax was great. The climax itself was a disappointment.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2007, 09:30:59 PM »

The build up to the climax was great. The climax itself was a disappointment.

I guess I could agree with you somewhat here Firecracker. I can see where someone would not love the climax. I however love it .

William Munney walking into that Saloon all alone and seeing everyone's reaction when they notice him is hilarious. Seeing how scared everyone is was a site to see.

"See you in hell William Munney".

"Yeeahh."

Wow!

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »

I agree with CJ.

Unless we see more brutal, action-packed westerns with lots of visual style the western will remain a dead genre.

If there were no action-packed scifi movies with lots of visual style (Matrix, Star Wars etc.) would the scifi genre be dead?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2007, 10:02:32 AM »

If there were no action-packed scifi movies with lots of visual style (Matrix, Star Wars etc.) would the scifi genre be dead?

Yes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM