Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 05:22:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)  (Read 78298 times)
Guerrilla
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« on: May 20, 2004, 08:57:42 AM »

"The Assassination of Jesse James"-
Brad Pitt is in talks to star as Jesse James for director Andrew Dominik (Chopper), in the adaptation of Robert Hansen novel "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," according to Variety.

Dominik, an Australian vet of commercials and musicvideos, is in talks to write the script and direct.

The book focused on Robert Ford as a way to tell the James legend. Ford was a member of the James gang and started out worshipping the exploits of the fastest gun in the West. He eventually became envious and figured he'd take over the gang and garner his own reputation by shooting James in the back

Director Andrew Dominik has been signed up by Warner Bros. to helm and write an adaptation of the novel by Robert Hansen called The Assassination of Jesse James. Brad Pitt will star and the movie is being produced by his prod. co. Plan B and also Scott Free Productions. The book uses a member of Jesse James gang, Robert Ford, as its focus to tell the legend of the gunslinger Jesse James.

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 03:15:04 PM »

Rumour has it that Ridley Scott's next film will be a western. Few of todays filmmakers has an eye for detail comparable to Ridley Scott, and I would love to see him do a western. Add a Hans Zimmer score to that, and I'll be there on the premiere. After the mildly dissapointing Kingdom of Heaven (and don't get me started on how much I disliked Black Hawk Down), this should put him right back on top in my book. It's based on a novel called Blood Meridian, which Empire describes as a "grim, bloody, nihilistic yet lyrical masterpiece". Sounds great. Read more about it here: http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/news/newsstory.asp?news_id=16763

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 05:09:23 PM by Banjo » Logged

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
Bill Carson
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 04:21:20 PM »

hola Nobody - it would indeed be fantastic to see a Western directed by 'Sir Ridley'; he is one of the best Directors working today (I liked BLACK HAWK DOWN)  but y'know, I heard that Mr. Scott and Mr. Zimmer fell out! seemingly, Ridley didn't like the idea of Zimmer scoring BATMAN BEGINS at the same time of working on KINGDOM OF HEAVEN hence Hans did NOT score KINGDOM....  it appears that one Mr. Spielberg also plans to shoot a Western sometime soon.... COOL!!  Cool

KERMIT
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 09:36:00 PM »

while  listening to a DVD version of LED ZEP'S "KASHMIR", it's as if the audio - visual  had a MORRICONESQUE/ LEONE spaghetti "feel" of it's own.   the group is playing what will be their last UK performance on a hot foggy august night @ NEBWORTH ' 79.  if anyone owns this DVD  pop on "ACHILLE LAST STAND".
check the, fog, music, and images, ect.  then, turn off the picture, and check out the soundtrack again. earphones are needed in order to hear the  stereophonic saturations of this film.  imagine what SIR RS/ LEONE sorceries come to mind.  imagination is the greatest nation on  earth  Grin

« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 09:17:32 AM by KERMIT » Logged
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 07:13:07 AM »

The Coen Brothers have hovered on the idea of a western too. Rumours were about in 1998/99.
Or maybe 'O Brother Where Art Thou?' was originally set much earlier in American history. Not unfeasable when you look at the films interpretation of 'The Odyssey' in setting and nature.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 08:22:05 AM by The Smoker » Logged

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 01:41:06 PM »

now i would love to see a western from spielberg... and maybe the coen brothers could do a good one, although i've never seen a bad coen brothers movie i'm not sure how they could with a western... but ridley scott? my god no!... it would just be crap like it always is, i've yet to see a ridly scott movie i didn't hate... it would just turn out to be a western gladiator, long, dull, visually stunning but overdone, the dialogue will suck, and it will all result in crap... thats my take.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 02:58:52 PM »

I always thought of Zeppelin that way too Cool Very theatrical.

No Quarter definately, especially the '75 versions, have that same kind of mood that Leone and RS movies carry. That and the San Francisco/Woodstock + violin bow part of D&C from '73/'75 Cool

Ahh, bootlegs!

KERMIT
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 10:19:01 PM »

i wonder what the three way corrida would look like on film if fog machines. spotlights, the lot had their stops pulled all the way out on the three protagonists. roadies, and each bounty killer's managersuddenly two pull out les pauls with marshell amps circumferenced around the corrida. each musician  trys to outplay the other. tuco plays  tex-mex, A/Es thrash metal. blondie a red stratocaster straight through to his amps clean and honest.  blondie plays a simple E-min. pentatonic blues pattern over and over slowly hypnotizing A/Es.  then, all three play while symotaniously summoning up an ominous electrical storm that electrocutes A/Es who falls into the last grave at sadhill.  Lips Sealed "the bad" no vacancys

« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 11:03:31 PM by KERMIT » Logged
Nobody
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 04:51:03 PM »

now i would love to see a western from spielberg... and maybe the coen brothers could do a good one, although i've never seen a bad coen brothers movie i'm not sure how they could with a western... but ridley scott? my god no!... it would just be crap like it always is, i've yet to see a ridly scott movie i didn't hate... it would just turn out to be a western gladiator, long, dull, visually stunning but overdone, the dialogue will suck, and it will all result in crap... thats my take.

I've actually never heard of any one hating Ridley Scott before. You hate all his films? Even Alien, The Duellists, and Blade Runner? Even the not-as-great-but-much-more-lighter Matchstick Men?

I'm on the other end here, not very interested in seeing a western from Spielberg. Although he's great when he just wants to entertain (Indiana Jones, etc.), I've never been a great fan of his more serious films. I know I'm in a minority here, but he usually picks rather uninteresting stories to tell, and pushes all the wrong buttons as far as I'm concerned. It's not nearly as bad as your usual Ron "I want another oscar" Howard film though.

I did not know Zimmer and Scott had a fallout though Bill Carson. Too bad, their collaboration has certainly been one of the better composer/director relationships after Sergio passed away.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 10:38:42 PM »

i will have to admit to only having seen gladiator, thelma and louise, and white squall.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 01:41:55 AM »

I don't like Ridley Scott much myself. His one great film was The Duelists, and then it's been all downhill ever since. The first 30 minutes of Blade Runner was pretty good, but what happened to the rest of the movie? _Legend_ is a joke. The 3 grandpa_chum mentions are some of the worst films ever made. And from reports of Kingdom of Heaven, Didley Squat is still up to his old tricks. A western from him would be dire.

Spielberg, however, could pull it off. I liked Empire of the Sun (except for the wretched music), which was very David Lean at times. Remember, the master himself aspired to Leanean cinema (the proof is in DYS), and that approach *can* produce good westerns. So I think Spielberg should at least take a whack at it.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Nobody
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 04:46:34 AM »

i will have to admit to only having seen gladiator, thelma and louise, and white squall.

I know a lot of people have problems with Gladiator. Personally, I think it's great, and I rarely like the huge oscar films. But if you don't like this, you can certainly skip Kingdom of Heaven. Thelma and Louise is also a film I really like, although the stupidity of the protagonists is hard to swallow from time to time. Harvey Keitel is great in it though.

Even if you hate these films, you ought to check out his first three films. Alien does deserve all the praise it has been given, and it is scary. Much of the film is designed by Giger, an artist who took drugs because he was scared by his own visions. His designs are scary and beautiful at the same time. Blade Runner is still his masterpiece though.

To a certain degree I agree with dave jenkins that Legend is a joke. The film is pretty even by Ridley Scott standards, and Tim Curry is great in it, but the plot is virtually non-existing. The film works slightly better in its directors cut version, but it't still far from great. Clearly, the filmmakers had good intentions, but I have no idea how anyone thought that this film would find an audience.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 11:36:39 AM »

alien is definitely on my to see list as well as blade runner(but a lot further down for br) and now i guess i'll have to see duelists...

i agree with dave about spielberg, i also like to look at the last half an hour of the last crusade as evidence that spielberg could do a great western, theres desert, horses, riding off into the sunset, shootouts and it's all done very well.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 11:43:54 AM »

oh and i have secretly wanted to see matchstick men.

and i did forget the 4th of his i've seen... gi jane... so i think he at the very least goes into the category of "great but makes a lot **** to even it out"... that is if all the great ones i haven't seen really are great, but with how gladiator is touted i doubt it.

i also have to admit on an unrelated topic, that i'm really excited about seeing alien because o'bannon's return of the living dead was so good.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 11:49:29 AM by grandpa_chum » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 09:14:04 PM »

Alien was OK in 79, but what does it have to offer viewers today? Good production design, that's about it. It's just another There's-a-monster-in-the-house film.

And Gladiator is basically a remake of Fall of the Roman Empire. FOTRU is not the greatest film ever made, but it was directed by someone who knew how to make a film (Anthony Mann). It is extremely watchable, unlike Gladiator, which has bad CGI, migrane-inducing camera movements, and ugly colors.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM