Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 08:01:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Possible missing scene...FAFDM
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possible missing scene...FAFDM  (Read 3614 times)
El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2010, 12:30:10 PM »

Hombres,
has anyone ever wondered if there is EVEN more missing footage? this time from Indio's breakout from prison?

I noticed during a viewing many moons ago that the music cuts in very suddenly as they (with Indio) descend the stairs just before Indio kills the Governor behind the door. There are already several dead guards strewn on the stairwell but we don't see them killed. Of course this could well be a continuity error but I doubt Leone would make a mistake like that....or perhaps Cuccilo had already dispatched em off-screen in a similar way to the ones on the roof, but who knows? Perhaps there's another gunfight in an archive somewhere.

Just thought I'd throw that one out there, makes me wonder about it given the other cuts in the film which has already been discussed on this forum.

BTW If you buy the German special edition boxed set of FOD and FAFDM it has the extended beating scene in it (sadly it doesnt have the whimpering maniac laugh from Indio at the jailbreak or the Manco's thunderclap but owt's better than nowt eh? (and it DOES come in a wooden dynamite box and amusingly features Klaus Kinski on the cover instead of Volonte....obviously for the German consumer!)

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 01:23:25 PM »

An old German VHS Cover had even dropped Van Cleef and shows only Clint and Klaus.

El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 04:31:12 PM »

No dynamite box anymore (was limited edition) but Lee Van Cleef IS on the cover!
this is off german amazon, not sure about the FOD but the FAFDM is the most complete edit out there as far as I know.
worth a look, you can buy 'em separately as well.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000A7DMV2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_i1?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0MV0VM3YT4PMFRTMH6QH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375173&pf_rd_i=301128

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:32:22 PM by El_Chuncho » Logged

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 09:37:23 AM »

I watched the scene again and I don't think there's any missing footage. The music cuts in suddenly but not awkwardly and the guards were likely killed by Indio's men on the way to Indio's cell.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »

But then why are the guards behind the bars running to open the gate?
They wouldn't be panicking if the others had been slain quietly, so it looks to me like they are responding to a disturbance ie gunfire and screaming.

also, Indio's crew enter the prison by climbing onto the roof, killing the sentries above and then releasing Indio. They then work their way through the building.
They couldn't have killed anyone inside before this point.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:11:24 AM by El_Chuncho » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 11:17:11 AM »

But then why are the guards behind the bars running to open the gate?
They wouldn't be panicking if the others had been slain quietly, so it looks to me like they are responding to a disturbance ie gunfire and screaming.

also, Indio's crew enter the prison by climbing onto the roof, killing the sentries above and then releasing Indio. They then work their way through the building.
They couldn't have killed anyone inside before this point.

Amigo, would it be too much trouble to ask you to substitute your current avatar with a smaller one?

You can put that big pic in your signature, thanks in advance. Smiley

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 11:42:01 AM »

You make some good points. Probably an issue of continuity, although I'd love too see some missing footage if there was any.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 11:54:45 AM »

agreed, but unlikely we will eh?
though there was a thread on here where I read about a cannes showing which was 20-odd minutes longer!
but who knows?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 02:48:38 PM »

I remember seeing the extended beating scene on TBS many years ago. I'm surprised its not on the DVDs.

Saturday nights with Groggy
El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 02:59:13 PM »

TBS? is that a tv channel?
yes the first time I saw the film was on tv aswell and it had the beating scene, also on the first VHS copy i ever bought (an old 4:3 version) thats why it stuck out like a sore thumb when I bought the "re-mastered " widescreen version and found it had loads of cuts. and was the same with the dvd release.
really don't understand the edits in the first place. who the hell do they get to do these re-masters anyway? i also noticed recently that the audio is messed up on more than 1 occasion on the British (and prob US) editions: bad repetition of incidental music.
perhaps I'm being anal.
as i've said though Groggy in another post, if you get the German dvd it has the beating scene in. sadly not the full epic Indio laughing fit when he's broke outta jail etc and you have to put up with a bad front cover but at least its minus the worst of the cuts!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:01:55 PM by El_Chuncho » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 03:12:36 PM »

Yeah TBS is a cable station here in the US. They used to show Westerns (not just Leone movies) a lot but seem to be more sitcom-oriented now, unfortunately.

Good to know and I was glad to see the beating scene linked in another thread. I don't know about the extended prison scene, I have never encountered that in any of my viewings.

Saturday nights with Groggy
El_Chuncho
Bandido

"Quien sabe??!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 06:21:25 PM »

yeah it probably doesnt exist....something i always wondered about though.
if it was ever filmed, it probably ended up on the cutting room floor long ago.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 11:18:16 AM »

An old German VHS Cover had even dropped Van Cleef and shows only Clint and Klaus.

Both artworks (old VHS & DVD) use the 1981 posters by Renato Casaro.
By that time Kinski had become an amost mythical figure over here, with his outrageous
interviews for German TV (i -n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e stuff, really great Smiley) and his
worldwide success of course, especially the Herzog Films from the late 70's
early 80's. While van Cleef by then wasn't a star anymore. ESCAPE FROM NY
was the only really good film he was in at that time (and in a supporting role only).

Check my memorabilia thread to see those 1981 posters..

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM