Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 06:09:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Green Hornet (2011)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Green Hornet (2011)  (Read 1001 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2011, 09:52:58 AM »

The Green Hornet (2011) - 2D: 8/10; 3D: 9/10. The Hornet and Kato become a crime-fighting Odd Couple (Kato in the Felix role). There's a pretty balanced review here: http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/dmiller/2011/01/14/the-green-hornet-review-funny-but-shallow-and-uninspiring/#more-436172

Bottom line: It's very, very funny. And it spotlights the most beautiful car in movie history. It's also nice to see Christoph Waltz again, doing what he does best (though a bit more of a klutz this time). There's even a funny Edward Furlong cameo (remember him?).

One thing the review cited above doesn't mention is the way the 3-D is used: this is the first time I've seen it employed not merely as a gimmick, but as a means of enhancing the storytelling. For example, there is a moment when the film goes to split screen to present some material that would usually be related (boringly) in montage. The filmmakers play with the sequence, gradually dividing the screen into ever smaller boxes so that it's impossible to take in everything. The 3D effect exacerbates matters, setting the boxes off from one another, making it even more difficult to keep up with the action on screen. Since the details of what's happening aren't important--we need to know only the what, not the how of the sequence--I thought this was an amusingly effective way of covering what would usually be dull  filler.

Another example: While the Hornet and Kato move across screen, the head of Waltz is superimposed in the foreground to show what he is up to elsewhere at the same time. The head is semi-transparent, so you can see everything in the scene with the Hornet and Kato and still focus on Waltz. The effect works in 2D also, but the added dimension in 3D really sells the idea that the 2 scenes are happening in two different places simultaneously.

These are just two examples, I could mention others. The humor and the visual inventiveness (and the excellent selections of songs) go hand in hand to make a very playful film. I was highly entertained.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 11:07:05 AM »

All I needed to dissuade me from ever seeing this was hearing Seth Rogen say "Hellz yes" like a weenie poseur in the TV spot.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:54:15 AM »

An interesting take:
http://westsidespirit.com/2011/01/12/the-green-hornet/

For me, his most salient points are these (although I disagree with his "unnecessarily cluttered" remark):
Some of the action antics (a rolling cement mixer, a living-room-to-kitchen fracas) attempt Richard Lester’s genre mockery, but the 3D technology hampers Gondry’s usual compositional panache. This 3D looks unnecessarily cluttered. Still, Gondry advances the comic book panels idea that Ang Lee attempted in The Hulk. The cinematic highpoint here is Gondry’s split-screen underworld, where criminals spread the word to kill the Green Hornet; it suggests what Fritz Lang would have done in a modern version of M. It’s a marvel of constantly expanding narrative logic and clarity. Gondry’s montage recalls his time-bending “Sugar Water” music video for Cibo Matto, but it’s also the fulfillment of Norman Jewison’s playful introduction of the split-screen into Hollywood narrative in 1968’s The Thomas Crown Affair. Thanks to Gondry, the superhero franchise that has become a blight on Hollywood suddenly shows unexpected potential.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 12:05:18 AM »

noodles_leone:

The Green Hornet (2011) - 5/10
Was very disapointed. Appart from (maximum) 10 good ideas (jokes/cast/camerawork/everything included), it's just mediocre, boring and the execution is perfectly uninspired. When i first saw the trailer, I had very low expectations about this. Then I read a lot of great reviews and thought it was going to be as good as a Gondry movie. But what you see (in the trailer) is what you get. Not more, not less. So let's be short:
- Waltz is great
- The others are ok (which isn't enough. The main character had to be played by somebody MORE than ok to be interesting with these "ok but never stopping" dialogues)
- Terrible 3D, but may be the cinema where I was is responsible for this, so.....
- Boooooooooooooooooooooooring.
- Everything "so incredibly cool and amazing and never seen before" that is in this movie, you've seen before, and much better: in Watchmen (which has many flaws) and Scott Pilgrim (which has some, but still rocks)

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM