Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 04:54:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Way Back (2010)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Way Back (2010)  (Read 1420 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2011, 06:41:57 AM »

The Way Back (2010) - 8/10. Peter Weir's most recent effort, about gulag prisoners who trek 4,000 miles from Siberia to India to gain their freedom. Based on a true account that (apparently) never actually happened, the film has the simplest of narrative hooks: walk or die. The group, which includes Ed Harris and the ever-annoying Colin Farrell, has to live off the land as they go (which gets really, really hard when they get to the Gobi Desert) and as the geography changes so do the survival challenges. We're told up front that only 3 of the group make it, so a certain amount of suspense comes from wondering which of the characters will be lost along the way (not always due to death, as it happens). Lots of crane shots in this one, but as the scenery is constantly changing that doesn't get old. And what great photography!--the film is out under a National Geographic banner--I saw it digitally projected in 4K, and so should everyone (I'm looking at you, CJ).

EDIT: I corrected the title (see below).

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:01:50 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:39:42 AM »

The Way Home (2010) - 8/10. Peter Weir's most recent effort, about gulag prisoners who trek 4,000 miles from Siberia to India to gain their freedom. Based on a true account that (apparently) never actually happened, the film has the simplest of narrative hooks: walk or die. The group, which includes Ed Harris and the ever-annoying Colin Farrell, has to live off the land as they go (which gets really, really hard when they get to the Gobi Desert) and as the geography changes so do the survival challenges. We're told up front that only 3 of the group make it, so a certain amount of suspense comes from wondering which of the characters will be lost along the way (not always due to death, as it happens). Lots of crane shots in this one, but as the scenery is constantly changing that doesn't get old. And what great photography!--the film is out under a National Geographic banner--I saw it digitally projected in 4K, and so should everyone (I'm looking at you, CJ).
Sounds like right up my alley.  Afro But it's "The Way Back" (or, at least that's what IMDb says).

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:00:50 AM »

Yeah, you're right. The title is so generic I can't keep it straight.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »

the blu-ray is only 15.99 at amazon.

Here's the beaver's review: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews53/the_way_back_blu-ray.htm

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 09:09:39 PM »

"Peter Weir at his hypnotic best".

An elegant way of saying "I slept through it".

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 04:29:21 AM »

Yes, very good movie. Story told without exaggeration, without mulling the characters and their antics.

8/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM