Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 04, 2024, 10:06:32 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Django Unchained (2013) - QT's SW
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
: Django Unchained (2013) - QT's SW  ( 90586 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #75 : December 17, 2012, 06:02:17 AM »

Personally, I like working Mondays, it's the other days of the week I'm not so keen on.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #76 : December 23, 2012, 09:02:34 PM »

The only 12:01 AM showing in Manhattan (AMC @ 34th street) is sold out, so I am going to have to wait until Tuesday afternoon to see this. (Then I guess I'll have to find a Chinese restaurant?)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #77 : December 24, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »

The only 12:01 AM showing in Manhattan (AMC @ 34th street) is sold out, so I am going to have to wait until Tuesday afternoon to see this. (Then I guess I'll have to find a Chinese restaurant?)
Hahaha, yeah, I've done the Chinese restaurant thing myself.

I have to wait until Wednesday to see this as I have a prior commitment for Christmas.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #78 : December 24, 2012, 09:30:47 PM »

I just got my tickets on Fandango; I'll be at the 3:40 showing tomorrow at the UA at Sheepshead Bay  :) (And finally, after 6 pages of speculation, we'll have a post on this thread about the actual movie  ;))

so I noticed that the movie -- which is due to be released in 32 minutes -- has already been rated on imdb by more than 3300 users. Are they all Hollywood/connected people who have seen previews? Or is it just a bunch of Tarantino fans or people involved with the movie etc. that are trying to boost the movie's rating before they've even seen it? (It currently has an 8.3/10)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #79 : December 25, 2012, 09:10:03 AM »

Here is a new gem from the race hustler Spike Lee http://www.tmz.com/2012/12/24/spike-lee-quentin-tarantino-django-unchained-disrespectful-to-my-ancestors/

he hasn't seen Django Unchained, and says "I'm not gonna see it....... all I'm gonna say is it's disrespectful to my ancestors."

;D ;D ;D ;D

If someone has an opinion of a movie before he sees it (eg. that it's racist), he should provide a damn good basis for that opinion (eg. if 10 of his friends who saw it told him that it's racist). But to just say that he doesn't know shit cuz he hasn't seen it, but he does know it's disrespectful to blacks... come on, man. Get your race hustling head head out of your race hustling ass.

And btw, as for the part later in this article about the critics who complain about the movie's use of the word "nigger," firstly, that word is sadly a part of this country's history, why ignore it and pretend that it didn't exist? and secondly, my unscientific opinion is that the most frequent utterances of the word "nigger" are actually by black filmmakers, black characters, and rap stars. I don't buy this crap that "we can use a word that demeans our own race, but you cant. If it's wrong to use the word (and personally, I'd never use it unless it's an appropriate artistic use, like in a movie about SLAVERY), then it shouldn't be used, period, but once it's used so frequently by black artists and individuals, then white artists and individuals should be able to use it just as well.

There.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #80 : December 25, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »

I think Tarantino feels trapped inside his white skin (a bit like a transsexual in his/her body). He should undergo a reversed Michael Jackson treatment.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #81 : December 25, 2012, 10:55:26 PM »

Before I start in on any of my bullshit, I'll just sum up in a nutshell what some of you are probably looking for: if you are a big fan of QT, then I think you will really like this film.

(I'm sure most of y'all know the basic plot by now so I won't bother with a plot synopsis; if anyone specifically wants that lemme know and I will add that in).

I first saw Pulp Fiction just a couple of years ago; it was the first Quentin Tarantino movie I'd ever seen. I didn't like it; I just plain didn't like the style  and never saw anther QT movie. I'm really not much for comedic shit, I only like watch serious movies, and I just didn't like the comedic style. So I never saw another QT movie -- until now. Cuz this is a Spaghetti Western, Django, so I figure what the hell, I have to see it. But it has all this comedic stuff -- and I btw found most if it very very offensive, as described in the next paragraph -- which I am not interested in; I really only wanna see dramas/thrillers. So all I can say is, if you are a fan of QT's movies, if you like his style, then you will probably like this movie a lot. I am not a fan of that style. So it would be unfair for me to give the movie a "rating."

Now, I must say that after seeing this movie, I take back most of what I said in the previous post about Spike Lee's comments. I mean, Lee himself is and always has been a race-hustling asshole, and I still don't see how someone can make accusations against a movie he hasn't seen without providing some sources (eg. that he at least saw some of the jokes, or people close to him told him about it, etc. But just to say that he won't see the movie but knows its disrespectful to blacks, I didn't know how he could say that.

Well as it turns out, no matter what my general opinion of Spike Lee, the fact is that after having seen the movie, he is absolutely correct: the movie is incredibly disrespectful toward blacks.

The stuff about slavery and the abuse of blacks is handled in a very comedic way, with the audience laughing all the way through the scenes depicting the mistreatment of blacks. That stuff is not funny and I don't know why the fuck anyone would think that it's material for comedy

as I was watching it, I was reminded of something I was once told by an elderly Polish Jew I know, a survivor of Auschwitz who suffered unspeakable tragedies by the Nazis. About ten years ago, I happened to be speaking to him shortly after he had seen The Producers on Broadway (btw, I have never seen that play nor movie) and he told me how it bothered him how the play had all that comedic stuff about Hitler. I remember his exact words, "There's nothing funny about Hitler."

I should also add that while I have never seen QT's movie Inglorious Basterds, my understanding is that it also portrays Nazis in comedic light, and that is THE reason I never saw it. I really don't find that stuff to be funny.

of course, that doesn't mean the movie is racist; the movie certainly portrays the  the slave-owners and those who mistreat blacks as the bad guys here; the movie's sympathies are with the blacks and against their abusers. But just because you know which side is right and which side is wrong, doesn't mean that you should be making a comedy of a terribly tragic issue. And to be clear, this wasn't just one or two or three lines or scenes -- this was the ENTIRE movie, from beginning to end. The mistreatment of blacks is one big joke, with the theater audience roaring along.

So I was able to enjoy very little of the humor in Django Unchained. If you can't see the humor to be found in an entire race of people torn apart, enslaved, tortured, and killed, then there won't be a hell of a lot to love here. But if you love QT's style and believe that all's fair in comedy and slavery, then I advise you to rush out and see this movie immediately.

-------

Django Unchained uses much of the music from the original Django , including the song that plays over the opening credits (which are in the same font/style/color as the opening credits of Django. Also, according to the opening credits, one of the songs in Django Unchained is a newEnnio Morricone composition.

I saw the movie at the 3:40 PM screening at the UA theater in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn; the screening was sold out! (Happily, I always purchase tickets beforehand from Fandango). And after the movie, I got some terrific Chinese food....

« : December 26, 2012, 12:52:39 AM drinkanddestroy »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #82 : December 26, 2012, 12:37:21 AM »

I disagree that it portrayed mistreatment of blacks as a joke. The whole movie may be presented in a goofy, blaxploitation-esque matter, but the more serious racial scenes are dealt with rather dramatically. There may be some slight racist humor, but nothing that should bother people unless they don't know how to take a joke. There's no reason to trash IB or Django. Everyone knows the history, and filmmakers have reiterated time and time again how horrible these moments in history were. Tarantino is a filmmaker, he knows these horrors, shows these horrors, and is still able to present them in a lighthearted matter. He's not trying to convince people that these were actually lighthearted events, but instead just making a damn entertaining movie based on events which occurred many, many years ago.

That being said I'm pretty disappointed with the film. The conflict is so, so, so weak. The characters face very little to no challenge in finding the people they are searching for or accomplishing their goals. There's not a single moment where Django or King Schultz is worried about something. Everything is rushed and happens way too abruptly, with little to no payoff for the major plot events. One sequence in the film which lasts 30-40 minutes and mirrors the Inglourious Basterds basement scene is the dullest part of the movie by far, lacking any wit or tension whatsoever. The sense of adventure which the film SHOULD have is almost completely missing.

I also hated the cinematography. The guy wants to make a 60's/70's film, and although it's light-hearted, it's almost distractingly crisp-looking. Make that shit grittier, Quentin.

The characters are unique and well-written but extremely underused in relation to the basic plot. The use of music is hilarious, and the humor of the film in general is pretty great. Blaxploitation and spaghetti western references are entertaining for fans of the genres. Lots of laughs. It's a good time at the movies but far, far away from Tarantino's better works. And I'm not even a huge fan to begin with.

6.5/10 if i have to give a rating. Worth seeing again for some good fun.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #83 : December 26, 2012, 01:16:15 AM »

I disagree that it portrayed mistreatment of blacks as a joke. The whole movie may be presented in a goofy, blaxploitation-esque matter, but the more serious racial scenes are dealt with rather dramatically. There may be some slight racist humor, but nothing that should bother people unless they don't know how to take a joke. There's no reason to trash IB or Django. Everyone knows the history, and filmmakers have reiterated time and time again how horrible these moments in history were. Tarantino is a filmmaker, he knows these horrors, shows these horrors, and is still able to present them in a lighthearted matter. He's not trying to convince people that these were actually lighthearted events, but instead just making a damn entertaining movie based on events which occurred many, many years ago.

As i was careful to say in my previous post, I never for a moment believed that the movie is racist. My complaint has nothing whatsoever to do with that. The movie very clearly believes that slavery was despicable. But still, it decides it can give us a grand ol' time as we explore the hilarious side of slavery. And that's just disgusting.

I don't for a moment believe that QT or his movies don't understand the evil that was slavery or the Nazis. Ditto for Mel Brooks et al with The Producers. This is not about racism at all. It it about sensitivity and taste, and understanding that certain events/people are simply not a joke, ever.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #84 : December 26, 2012, 04:32:27 AM »

Before I start in on any of my bullshit, I'll just sum up in a nutshell what some of you are probably looking for: if you are a big fan of QT, then I think you will really like this film.

What if we liked Tarantino's early films and think he's gone in the crapper? ???

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #85 : December 26, 2012, 04:58:57 AM »

what I meant to say is that if A) you like QT's style (which I don't); and B) you forget about any moral objections over the comedy, there's a good chance that you'd like it the movie. [Of course, that's a very theoretical thought. But I figured that, since I was the first one to post his opinion after having seen the movie, I should give the people at least a little something to go on in deciding whether or not to see the movie  ;)

« : December 26, 2012, 12:59:02 PM drinkanddestroy »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #86 : December 26, 2012, 05:47:14 AM »

wow, Django Unchained now holds an 8.7/10 rating on IMDB (Currently, spots 14-21 on imdb's Top 250 have an 8.7/10 rating; Do we have another Shawshank here?  ;D)

« : December 26, 2012, 05:52:01 AM drinkanddestroy »

emmo26
Gunslinger

« #87 : December 26, 2012, 07:06:17 AM »

D&D

I take it you never saw Blazing Saddles aswell.

**************** ZZ TOPĀ“s 1st Gig **************
Rudra
Bandido

« #88 : December 26, 2012, 11:06:32 AM »

So how close is "Django Unchained" to the spaghetti westerns "as we know them to be" (and by "we" I mean the members of Sergio Leone web board) in style, presentation and substance? I am not a fan of QT and I completely gave up on QT after IG. If I want to see his movie again, it would be because this time it is purportedly as "spag". Going by the D&D' review of the film, I think I can can give it a pass and save myself of the misery.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #89 : December 26, 2012, 11:57:18 AM »

Check this, maybe it helps:

http://www.tarantino.info/2012/12/20/django-unchained-movie-review/

: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines