Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 29, 2024, 08:02:15 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Django Unchained (2013) - QT's SW
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
: Django Unchained (2013) - QT's SW  ( 90517 )
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #165 : January 18, 2013, 12:23:35 PM »

Nice article Jenkins. O0 I hadn't realized Goggins was in Lincoln - I'll have to look for him on my next watch.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #166 : January 20, 2013, 11:22:56 AM »

Brilliant! You should have been at all the story conferences.

This interview mentions an interesting deleted scene: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/django-unchained-cut-scene-walton-413595

It's been over a day and I still don't know how much sarcastic this is.

Anyway, nice article! The guy says more interesting things about the movie than QT, because as much as I like QT, he's even more full of shit than Sergio was.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Just an old friend.

« #167 : January 20, 2013, 11:28:27 AM »

It's been over a day and I still don't know how much sarcastic this is.

Anyway, nice article! The guy says more interesting things about the movie than QT, because as much as I like QT, he's even more full of shit than Sergio was.

;D

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #168 : January 26, 2013, 12:20:47 PM »

To my own surprise, after all the things I had read about DU, I think it is QTs weakest film so far.
It is much weaker than IB, with which it shares a lot of his narrative structure, it is far less brilliant than IB or Death Proof (which is excellent), in fact it does not contain very much really great stuff. The long middle part on Candyland, in short all the Di Caprio stuff, is pretty strong.

Foxx is a good lead, and his laconic alliance with the ever talking Waltz, who gives again a find but less great than in IB performance, works well enough. And di Caprio is great, while Jackson has great role on his side.

But I really did not like the splatter aspect of the violence, nor do I think that the general handling of the action in DU is well done. But the most disappointing aspect was that he characterized nearly all the secondary characters as ugly white trash caricatures, which destroyed half of the scenes. The ending is also not convincing.

I don't know, it had the potential for another classic, but QT has spoiled it. 7/10

Rudra
Bandido

« #169 : January 27, 2013, 10:10:24 AM »

Watched DU yesterday and found it to be just OK to IB and DP. One inaccuracy I noted (I am sure there are several other inaccuracies), during the shootout at the Calvin Candy mansion. You see Django firing from what look like cap and ball revolvers but when he gives up his weapons upon being threatened with his wife's life and takes off his jacket, bullets fall on the ground. The movie is said to be set in 1858, two years before the civil war and as per the arms and ammunition experts on this board, bullets were not in popular use until after the civil war.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #170 : January 28, 2013, 06:20:41 PM »

The most damaging thing to this movie is the finale: while we see the idiotic, catballouesque equine evolutions, the Micalizzi's motive suddenly reminded me of a much better movie than this one. So of course I got out of the theatre whistling that tune and thinking about Trinity. Tarantino played it safe this time, after the IB's disasters. He picks up surefire narrative schemes like the mentor\pupil relationship, the juxtaposition of opposites (Django free black in a slave plantation; a black girl  slave speaking german and many others); cheap comedy tricks: which may work: once only, for me. Now, in a western, and especially a SW (which, admittedly, DU is not) what is supposed to be there is some trick unseen before. I wrote sometime ago that me and my father went to watch SW in the assurance that something unseen before (like a strange weapon or way to kill or you name it) was to be found. And 90% of times it was there. There is nothing original in the shootings here. Instead you have the usual extended dialogues and monologues, sometimes brilliant but most of the times overabundant. As already noted in this thread, the added scene after the gunshooting in Candyland is idiotic and unnecessary.   And then you have the love story: yes, it is not very intruding: but again, the finale. And the actors. Actually, unexpectedly, I only liked Foxx. The other ones are good with the exception of DiCaprio, who still hasn't learned to play (maybe, when he'll grow old and his voice will get lower, he could become at least tolerable). Some choices in the tunes are debatable: but Havens' Freedom is kitschy as can be. All in all, I enjoyed the movie moderately. I don't think I'll ever watch it again. 7\10

« : January 28, 2013, 06:22:35 PM titoli »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #171 : January 29, 2013, 02:04:42 AM »

It's funny how nobody thinks the same about DU. People who like it like it for different reasons, people who don't like it also have very personal views on the matter: QT played it safe vs QT tried a linear story for once, it's too talky vs for once the talkiness is integrated into characters' arcs and narration, gunfights are successful and innovative vs boring and seen before... Even between people who give it the same rating and have the same overall feeling, opinions on what worked and didn't worked in the movie totally differ.
It's often the case with hit and miss movies, but I find it particularly true with this one (and particularly untrue with the rest of QT's filmography, which is filled with hit and miss movies).

Now, in a western, and especially a SW (which, admittedly, DU is not) what is supposed to be there is some trick unseen before. I wrote sometime ago that me and my father went to watch SW in the assurance that something unseen before (like a strange weapon or way to kill or you name it) was to be found. And 90% of times it was there.

I didn't think I would tell you this one day, but thanks for saying so, food for though of the day :)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #172 : January 29, 2013, 05:36:13 AM »

How many Westerns in DU?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1853728/board/thread/209962799?p=1

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

« #173 : February 23, 2013, 10:59:02 PM »

I thought it was an okay movie [I still think Reservoir Dogs is QT's best film], I agree with some on this thread in that I found it too talky. I know that QT is famous for his dialogue, and incorporates a lot of well written stuff into his movies, but for me it just doesn't work in a western [or a southern as QT puts it]. I also thought Samuel L. Jackson's character could've had more interesting scenes [and maybe be related to Jules as a great, great, great grandfather, which would've been interesting]. And I have to mention QT's horrible Australian [at least...I think it was Australian] accent which made me cringe at bit. I'd give it 3/5 stars. I'd actually like to see QT, who is a big Sergio Leone fan himself to possibly make some sort of prequel or sequel to the dollars trilogy, and maybe for once, depart from his own style [this time focusing on visuals, rather than clever dialogue].

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #174 : April 23, 2013, 04:34:36 PM »

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4153djan.html

Saturday nights with Groggy
emmo26
Gunslinger

« #175 : May 23, 2013, 01:47:19 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The extras are limited to three good featurettes. The first is a piece on horse stunts. As the movie was filmed in the U.S.A. (good for you Quentin) the horses appear to be well trained to fall on cue. Production Designer J. Michael Riva and Costume designer Sharen Davis are given handsome featurettes of their own. The other two items are brief ads for a soundtrack and a big box o' Tarantino Blu-rays.

But all bases are covered, exhibition-wise. A second disc contains a DVD encoding and instructions for a digital download and Ultraviolet access to the cloud, which apparently will be hovering over our insignificant existence for the rest of our days.

Tarantino fans loved this picture, and this Blu-ray will not disappoint.

......any deleted scenes? does Clint and Eli make an appearence from the DeLorean?

**************** ZZ TOP´s 1st Gig **************
uncknown
Bounty Killer

What about me?

« #176 : June 17, 2013, 12:52:33 PM »

I can't imagine anyone on this board NOT liking this film.
It is a must see just for the scene with Franco Nero,  which i will not spoil here.
 O0
QT's best film
check it out!

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #177 : June 17, 2013, 07:49:34 PM »

We saw this in the theater.  Mrs. Cusser gave me a DVD copy for Fathers Day.

emmo26
Gunslinger

« #178 : July 17, 2013, 07:39:20 AM »

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2012/02/15/noel_gallagher_wants_to_score_quentin_/

Noel Gallagher Wants To Score Quentin Tarantino's 'Django Unchained'
February 15th, 2012 9:55pm EST  favorite Add to My News
Tweet8 1 0

Noel GallagherBritish rocker Noel Gallagher has his sights set on becoming a movie composer and he wants to record a score for Quentin Tarantino.

The former Oasis rocker is currently on tour promoting his debut solo album Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, and he has a psychedelic follow-up record in the pipeline, which is due for release next year.

But he's already planning his next move - and a film soundtrack project is at the top of his to-do list.

He tells NME magazine, "If anyone's writing a western film out there, I would love to do one (score)... I've got loads of spaghetti western-esque incidental music. So, Mr. Tarantino, if you're reading, you know my name."

Pity he didn´t feature in at least one track

emmo26
Gunslinger

« #179 : October 24, 2013, 03:53:41 PM »

I also thought Samuel L. Jackson's character could've had more interesting scenes

SLJ's "Uncle Tom" was the best character in it.

: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines