Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 20, 2022, 03:54:48 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  French and Italian filmmakers in the 60's
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: French and Italian filmmakers in the 60's  ( 3067 )
Poggle
Bounty Killer

« : January 12, 2006, 09:04:07 PM »

I was reading somewhere, I forget where, that when Europe was catching up on American cinema in the 50's that the Italians enjoyed the westerns more and that the French enjoyed the noir and crime flicks more, which is why there a lot of French crime flicks and more Italian westerns in the 60's.

Is it because the French got less westerns and more crime flicks(and vice versa) or is it just that they enjoyed the crime flicks more?

Are there any articles on this whole American cinema attack on Europe?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1 : January 13, 2006, 05:18:56 AM »

I would find extremely amazing to discover that French liked westerns less than Italians. Actually the critical evaluation of the genre started with a famous article by french critic André Bazin. I think that westerns were liked everywhere in the world, though maybe in Germany even more than in the rest of the world. It would be interesting to know on which sources (based on the movies netting, I presume) your book is basing such risquès outings.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : January 13, 2006, 05:31:37 AM »

I've read about the onslaught but not about any particular cause & effect from it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

« #3 : January 17, 2006, 06:21:29 AM »

That's true that French people in the 60's liked very very muche the films noirs. They liked westerns too, but it was not the most popular genre, which was the crime movie (film noir). I believe it is because it was a contexte: we are great gangsters durong this period, and people heard of them. Murder, prostitution, drugs etc... were daily. So it was maybe a kind of way to see "good people" win this battle.
But as I said, Westerns were liked. OUATITW is stayed during TEN YEARS in a theater!!! TEN YEARS!!! Amazing. Leone knew that, and one day he went to watch his movie. A lot of people asked him for autographs; just one personn came to see him (it was the projectionnist), and sayed: "It makes years this movie is here. I saw it thousands of time. And it's too long..." The poor man  ;D

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #4 : January 18, 2006, 07:30:05 AM »

They liked westerns too, but it was not the most popular genre, which was the crime movie (film noir).

I'm  curious to know the source of this affirmation.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines