Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:53:25 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 84 85 [86]
: Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace  ( 324672 )
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Just an old friend.

« #1275 : April 11, 2024, 09:32:12 AM »

You've got some fair arguments; but I liked it very much when I saw it on TV as a late night program filler. The actors don't stand a chance against the original cast members, but I thought they were not all that bad. I seem to remember there were some minor plot changes, though I could not remember what was it right now. Pretty decent remake (made for TV) - (around) 7.5/10.

Yeah, I found a copy of this and re-watched it and I'm actually gonna have to lower my rate a little bit -  to a 7/10. It's good but the supporting cast doesn't fill their shoes. The original has longer, steady cam shots, while here Friedkin tried some brief shaky cam improvisations. The claustrophobic (hot and humid late summer late afternoon) was missing. Also, which I didn't like this time around is that it was set in contemporary setting, though that's only present in a few lines.

I think the Mykelti Williams part was a bold move albeit ill-fitted for the spot in the roster of this movie.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1276 : April 11, 2024, 09:43:41 AM »

Yeah, I found a copy of this and re-watched it and I'm actually gonna have to lower my rate a little bit -  to a 7/10. It's good but the supporting cast doesn't fill their shoes. The original has longer, steady cam shots, while here Friedkin tried some brief shaky cam improvisations. The claustrophobic (hot and humid late summer late afternoon) was missing. Also, which I didn't like this time around is that it was set in contemporary setting, though that's only present in a few lines.

I think the Mykelti Williams part was a bold move albeit ill-fitted for the spot in the roster of this movie.

What about the leads?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Just an old friend.

« #1277 : April 12, 2024, 04:47:52 AM »

What about the leads?

Lemmon is pretty good. He gets (as every other character in the remake) less close-up time, and as such - unlike Fonda - does not appear to be on a ''mission from God'' against everybody else right from the start. He appears sad and disillusioned, hoping for a few easy buckets to get something going. That being said, I also have to say I liked Fonda in the original also.

C. Scott was OK, but I didn't think he was memorable. Bear in mind, that I'm a big fan of his. Physically mostly but also in terms of acting Lee J. Cobb left a bigger mark on the role in my book. He had rougher edges, and a burly presence that seemed to fit the character better.

Lemmon and Scott in 1999. appeared in another TV remake - Inherit the Wind. There I thought they both shined as friends-opponents.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #1278 : April 12, 2024, 06:18:59 AM »

The Silent Partner (1978) Very good thriller to which Gould adds, with his hamming, a touch of comedy. Interesting to make a comparison between the slixk way Plummer plays the villain with the psychos that  became common fare around those times (actually he is too slick, a piece of miscasting).The plot is intriguing and the two females very sexy: I wonder how could I have missed it all of these years. 7-8/10

I saw this a little while ago. Can't remember my rating exactly but probably a 7/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #1279 : April 12, 2024, 06:22:37 AM »

RE: The discussion of the 12 Angry Men remake: I actually saw this around 2001 (rented the videotape from the local video store shortly after we read the play in high school), which was before I had seen the original. I thought it was great. I didn't see the original till like a decade later. (I watched the original one more time a few years after that.) I can't remember enough about the remake to compare it, though.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Just an old friend.

« #1280 : April 13, 2024, 04:48:43 AM »

RE: The discussion of the 12 Angry Men remake: I actually saw this around 2001 (rented the videotape from the local video store shortly after we read the play in high school), which was before I had seen the original. I thought it was great. I didn't see the original till like a decade later. (I watched the original one more time a few years after that.) I can't remember enough about the remake to compare it, though.

That's understandable.

It's a captivating story, and the remake - taken everything into consideration - is good. If there wasn't the stellar firstborn to compare it to it would be even better. Which is also somewhat of a pity.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1281 : April 15, 2024, 11:25:43 PM »

War (2007) The unexpected finale redeems partially this "you've seen it before" story of a professional killer playing two gangster chiefs (yakuza and triad) against  each other. But the action scenes are all martial arts and with no original turns. Statham (the reason why I bought the dvd) plays second fiddle to Jet Li and as a FBI agent doesn't persuade me: the lone criminal pro clothes suit him better. 6/10 only for the final twist.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1282 : April 17, 2024, 01:54:39 AM »

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) This one had the best premises for the development of the story. I also like the protagonists better than the others who came before or after (apart from Sally Field: she was nothing to look at in her younger days, but she just can be watched here). The action scenes are not impressive, though, so I only can give it a 7/10.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1283 : May 08, 2024, 11:57:12 AM »

Immortals (2011) The greek mythology gods are the superheroes but the special effects are not stunning. I liked the Minotaur scene and the very last (or about) image because of the colours. And that makes you wonder where the brilliant images of the swords and sandals have been sacrificed to the dim monochrome of these last decades. 5-6/10 

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1284 : May 10, 2024, 02:19:40 PM »

The Second Woman (1950) Mediocre thriller, so stupid in the final explication of the whole plot and boring to get there. Young and Drake are good, though. 5/10 

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1285 : May 13, 2024, 11:23:54 AM »

John Carter (2012) Nice litttle work, with the hero acquiring a jump superpower in the transit from Earth to Mars. I can't remember how truthful to the novel is (I read it too long ago) but the story flow quite pleasantly, the photography is relaxing and the special effects effective. 7/10

: 1 ... 84 85 [86]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines