Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2021, 12:10:40 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 61
: Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace  ( 224838 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #135 : January 23, 2012, 04:22:25 AM »

Une affaire de goût (2000) I bought the dvd thinking it was some kind of thriller and the first half of the movie confirmed the impression. Unfortunately the story veers toward the Servant  kind of ambiguous relationship master-servant (though here is reversed) without the original's  subtleties. Not my kind of movie. 6\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #136 : January 23, 2012, 10:40:13 PM »

Ghosts On The Loose (1942) Lame attempt at comedy by the East End (no more-) Kids, with a Gardner pretty but little visible and a Lugosi as chief of a  Nazi spy gang of bums. 4\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #137 : January 23, 2012, 10:44:47 PM »

The Devil Bat (1940) I wonder if people were thrilled by this stuff 70 years ago. I presume they were. I love this crap because it really it is never ashamed of going over the top, though once you've seen what the plot is about after 10 minutes you start to yawn. But Lugosi at work creating monster bats and the perfume trick will elicit at least a smirk from most. 6\10   

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #138 : January 23, 2012, 10:53:04 PM »

Man Hunt (1941) The story is heavily based on moronic assumptiog hasns which are so hard to digest in a movie so much connected to reality. That somebody might get near to Hitler in Obersalzberg and have it in the lens of his telescopic gun is ridiculous, but well. let's concede it for storytelling's sake. But  the finale goes beyond whatever might have been created at Republic or Monogram in the same years. Still the movie thrives on the London recreated scenes and though, as usual, Bennett is impersonating for Lang with little credibility a prostitute (Lang must have had some kind of kink about this actress) her farewell scene with Pidgeon is worth alone watching the movie. 7\10   

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #139 : January 30, 2012, 06:30:04 AM »

The Rock (1996) Great action courtesy of Connery and Harris. Cage sucks as usual but is second banana in this and doesn't hurt much the result. 7\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #140 : January 30, 2012, 06:35:51 AM »

Under Siege (1992) The last good Seagal. Memorable boobs  offered by Eleniak whose female presence doesn't intrude at all in the plot development. Busey is good but TLJ is too over the top and his physical presence  looks diminutive near to Seagal's. 7\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #141 : January 31, 2012, 10:39:07 AM »

Ransom (1996) Good thriller. 7\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #142 : February 01, 2012, 11:08:04 AM »

Becket (1964) Another Pamela Brown flick, CJ. She maintains herself well. Unfortunately she shows just her face. This movie is good for the script based on a Anouilh's pièce I haven't read (but will) and for O'Toole's performance: his finest hour? Burton's is his usual wooden self, he gives nothing to the character. Funny hearing Cervi reciting in english (Stoppa is dubbed: judging by his lips movement he recited in english, though) . I first saw this on tv in b&w. 8\10   

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #143 : February 01, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »

I read a very bad translation of the play which included Henry II spouting off such gems as "Show me the money!" I'm sure a better version exists, but based on that I'd say the film was an improvement.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #144 : February 01, 2012, 10:30:57 PM »

O'Toole got the Golden Globe but the Osca went to Rex Harrison for My Fair Lady (a movie I haven't found the courage to watch yet). I presume the real competion should have been with Sellers for Strangelove: that would have been a tough decision to make: maybe the award to Harrison was an escape route, if I didn't know better about hollywood workings.   

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #145 : February 02, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »

Harrison was easily the best thing about My Fair Lady, but better than Sellers, O'Toole AND Burton? Definitely not. O'Toole apparently did something to piss off the Academy (his drinking perhaps?) as he never won despite getting repeatedly nominated for (mostly) deserving performances. I probably would have given Burton the Oscar for this one though.

« : February 02, 2012, 05:27:17 PM Groggy »

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #146 : February 04, 2012, 03:17:58 PM »

The Reivers (1969) I saw this one when first released and didn't make much of it, probably because I thought it was a McQueen movie. The star is actually Mitch Vogel and McQueen I'm not even sure comes second in order of importance. And anyway his performance is not well-suited to the half-comedic style of the movie. But the movie is well-paced, with lots of good scenes and manages to shy away from the risk of falling into the cheap melodrama  most of this kind of hollywood products does. I'm curious to know if it was thanks to the Faulkner's source or to the screenplayers. 8\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #147 : February 05, 2012, 03:51:25 AM »

The Hill (1965)This is one of the best movies ever as to actors performances. Hard to pick one as the best, none excepted. The direction is great. What doesn't work is the story: you end up having all the answers. Which doesn't happen in the first part, of, say, FMJ or, even more, in the play (and movie) that might have been an inspiration for this, i.e. The Brig. Still almost every scene (probably only the finale is trivial) is powerful, dominated by all the characters which happen to find themselves in the image. 8\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #148 : February 05, 2012, 04:23:25 PM »

Spoils of War (2010) Fidani clone in the new Millennium. Worst war movie produced in the last 50 years? Reviews at IMDB concur on this evaluation. I spent 1 euro to buy the dvd in Paris and I deeply regret it. They ought to pay you to watch it. 1\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #149 : February 15, 2012, 03:27:42 PM »

My Sister Eileen (1955) This kind of musicals are good as long as there is a good score. Here there's none. In the Jule Styne's collection of sheet music I own, including almost a hundred songs, there's not a single one culled from MSE, which is just too right. The casting is mediocre: Betty Garrett is too old for the part, Lemmon doesn't belong there, Janet Leigh is just pretty and does her routine but is not memorable. So the only thing to save is Robert (not yet Bob) Fosse's dancing numbers. His duet with Tommy Rall is worth watching and reminded me, guess what, of FFDM  ;D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uFFGN5iZQY&feature=related

Fosse also plays perfectly his part. 5\10

: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 61  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines