Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2021, 10:57:36 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 61
: Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace  ( 218677 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #525 : December 25, 2015, 10:15:15 AM »

Miss Sadie Thompson (1953) What a wasted chance. Very good movie for about 3/4 but then the Ferrer and Ray characters are twisted unexpectedly (Ferrer a little less) and the linearity of the story goes right down the drain. A pity. I presume this is Hayworth's best ever performance though even her character is subjected to a double turnaround. 6/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #526 : December 28, 2015, 01:07:25 AM »

The Verdict (1982) Wasn't much impressed the first time I saw it, dubbed. But now must admit is a serious contender for best legal thriller ever. Minor gripes about O'Shea, too clownish in his appearance for the role and some of the Newman facial routines (closed eyes, half-open mouth). Rampling has never been so persuading, looks like an actress, even though she displays  only her usual, single expression. Warden and Mason are huge, I suspect that the first was never so brilliant, especially in some little but significant gesture: they should have shared the Oscar as non protagonists. I like also some political incorrectedness (by today's miserable standards) all the more so if compared to that wretched ultra political correct (and boring) movie which stole the awards this movie should have earned. 9/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #527 : December 28, 2015, 05:34:01 PM »

The Verdict (1982) Wasn't much impressed the first time I saw it, dubbed. But now must admit is a serious contender for best legal thriller ever. Minor gripes about O'Shea, too clownish in his appearance for the role and some of the Newman facial routines (closed eyes, half-open mouth). Rampling has never been so persuading, looks like an actress, even though she displays  only her usual, single expression. Warden and Mason are huge, I suspect that the first was never so brilliant, especially in some little but significant gesture: they should have shared the Oscar as non protagonists. I like also some political incorrectedness (by today's miserable standards) all the more so if compared to that wretched ultra political correct (and boring) movie which stole the awards this movie should have earned. 9/10

Terrific movie, I agree with the rating. But is not better than ANATOMY OF A MURDER.

I had a professor in law school who taught a whole course pretty much based on the premise that we should do whatever is moral and not worry so much about being strictly legal. This movie was like Exhibit A of his class.

Of course, this verdict in this movie will easily be overturned on appeal 😉

« : December 28, 2015, 10:19:11 PM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #528 : December 28, 2015, 07:43:25 PM »

Of course, this verdict in this movie will easily be overturned on appeal 😉

You're sure? On what basis?

(Of course, the defendant, whose interest was from the start to close the case asap, wouldn't appeal even more so once the truth has been revealed).

« : December 28, 2015, 07:51:39 PM titoli »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #529 : December 28, 2015, 07:50:40 PM »

All These Women (1964) I was fascinated by this movie ever since I saw it first on the little screen in b&w and little I knew what it was all about (I doubt I was in my teens). All the more so now that I watched it in colour on my cinema screen. Critics have lambasted it for reasons that elude me: I think that the colours are fascinating, the pace is fast, some dialogue pungent. As somebody at IMDB wrote, the main fault is that is not as funny as it would like to be. You don't laugh: but you smile. 7/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #530 : December 28, 2015, 08:17:11 PM »

Thinking about The Verdict, it remains unclear why the admittance nurse, after having  signed the false form not to be fired, left the hospital and Boston, especially as she wants to be a nurse, which she's not in NY. I must read the book.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #531 : December 28, 2015, 10:23:46 PM »

You're sure? On what basis?

(Of course, the defendant, whose interest was from the start to close the case asap, wouldn't appeal even more so once the truth has been revealed).

Because there is not a shred of decent admissible evidence

Newman's "expert witness" was crap. His one potential decent witness (the doctor who appears early on) the defendant paid off and he disappears. The document that is offered as evidence " I kept a copy" is ruled inadmissible by the judge cuz it is a copy.
This was simply a situation in which the jury said, we know what is right and we are going to do what is right, and we are going to disregard our legal duty. This case would be thrown out on appeal faster than you can say boo. And that is really the point of the movie here, about people doing what they feel is right rather than following legal technicalities: actual justice as opposed to procedural justice.

« : December 29, 2015, 07:59:05 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #532 : December 28, 2015, 10:29:28 PM »

Thinking about The Verdict, it remains unclear why the admittance nurse, after having  signed the false form not to be fired, left the hospital and Boston, especially as she wants to be a nurse, which she's not in NY. I must read the book.

As I recall – and it's probably been five years since I last saw the movie – she quit being a nurse because of what happened that night at the hospital

---

Yeah Newman is great, Warden is great, and James Friggin Mason, I worship the ground that guy walks on. One of his greatest performances ever

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #533 : December 28, 2015, 11:23:40 PM »

Newman's "expert witness" was crap. His one potential decent witness (the doctor who appears early in) the defendant paid off and he disappears. The document that is offered as evidence " I kept a copy" is ruled inadmissible by the judge cuz it is a copy.
This was simply a situation in which the jury said, we know what is right and we are going to do what is right, and we are going to disregard our legal duty. This case would be thrown out on appeal faster than you can say boo. And that is really the point of the movie here, about people doing what they feel is right rather than following legal technicalities: actual justice as opposed to procedural justice.

In fact, walking out of the theater in 1982, a friend of mine even turned to me and said, "I can't wait for the sequel: The Appeal.

The film is a piece of shit. Just because it has great acting and moments of dramatic interest, that counts for nothing when the plot is completely worthless. As Drink points out, the verdict would undoubtedly be overturned on appeal. The filmmakers don't want to acknowledge that, so they misdirect the attention of the audience onto a putative feel-good story of good overcoming evil. But such circumstances bear no relation to the world as we know it. The whole film is an exercise in bad faith.

It's completely unlike a good trial film, such as Anatomy of a Murder, which, based on a actual court case, is legally plausible.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #534 : December 29, 2015, 12:45:42 AM »

The document that is offered as evidence " I kept a copy" is ruled inadmissible by the judge cuz it is a copy.

I'm quoting from Reel Justice, written by two law professionals. "Judge Hoyle (O'Shea) was wrong, because a genuine dispute existed about whether Concannon's (Mason) or Galvin's (Newman) version of the form was accurate. Hoyle should have admitted both versions into evidence and left it to the jury to decide which version is accurate." I don't know about a real jury, but the fictional one would have ruled against the defendant. So, apparently, the judge ruling against the admissibility of the nurse's form is more of a fictional ruse than a reality bound  decision. And so, more important, the document is not a matter of discussion: it would have been evaluated both fictionally and not fictionally.

But there are other considerations (and you can give me an answer).

1)  Newman has got the chance to ask a mistrial when Rampling's spy role is discovered. He refuses (he has just met the admittance nurse). Can that circumstance be brought to bear in an eventual appeal?
2) Always quoting from Reel Jusrtice: "...Concannon should have asked Hoyle to dismiss the case and enter a directed verdict for the defense." Would the plaintiff then be able to appeal and introduce the testimony of the admittance nurse?  
3) Could the defense prevent the admitting-room nurse testimony at all as she was simply a rebuttal witness? Because this is where, I think, all the plot hinges on: once she is on the witness stand the defense is fucked up.

« : December 29, 2015, 05:35:47 AM titoli »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #535 : December 29, 2015, 05:29:08 PM »

The Rainmaker (1997) I expected more from this one, but it is mostly a tearjerker and the only brilliant moments are courtesy of De Vito, Scheider and the preliminary duels between Voight (never saw him hamming it like this) and Damon. Directed by FFC but it could have been anybody else. 6/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #536 : December 31, 2015, 09:37:02 PM »

Chicago (2002) I forced myself to watch the first 15 minutes because I thought this was a courtroom drama. But couldn't make it beyond the amateurish acting, staging and music.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #537 : December 31, 2015, 09:49:32 PM »

I'm quoting from Reel Justice, written by two law professionals. "Judge Hoyle (O'Shea) was wrong, because a genuine dispute existed about whether Concannon's (Mason) or Galvin's (Newman) version of the form was accurate. Hoyle should have admitted both versions into evidence and left it to the jury to decide which version is accurate." I don't know about a real jury, but the fictional one would have ruled against the defendant. So, apparently, the judge ruling against the admissibility of the nurse's form is more of a fictional ruse than a reality bound  decision. And so, more important, the document is not a matter of discussion: it would have been evaluated both fictionally and not fictionally.

But there are other considerations (and you can give me an answer).

1)  Newman has got the chance to ask a mistrial when Rampling's spy role is discovered. He refuses (he has just met the admittance nurse). Can that circumstance be brought to bear in an eventual appeal?
2) Always quoting from Reel Jusrtice: "...Concannon should have asked Hoyle to dismiss the case and enter a directed verdict for the defense." Would the plaintiff then be able to appeal and introduce the testimony of the admittance nurse?  
3) Could the defense prevent the admitting-room nurse testimony at all as she was simply a rebuttal witness? Because this is where, I think, all the plot hinges on: once she is on the witness stand the defense is fucked up.

It has been a while since I saw THE VERDICT. I don't remember all the details of the trial. I should watch it again.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #538 : January 01, 2016, 03:42:29 AM »

Primal Fear (1996) Good courtroom thriller, which you won't see a second time once you know the end. I detest Gere, Norton plays well his usual his half.moron routine, very good Laura Linney: not pretty, but she knows how to work with a cigarette (something Meryl Steeps never learned).

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #539 : January 01, 2016, 06:39:32 PM »

The Verona Trial (1963)  Lizzani just did his homework for this representation of one of the most troubled period of recent italian history. Woolf and Mangano are good but I don't like the dubbers. The OST (but is it really an original one? I'm sure I've heard it somewhere else) is absolutely incongruous. 6/10

: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 61  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines