Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2021, 07:39:13 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 62
: Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace  ( 234298 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #645 : May 29, 2016, 05:26:03 PM »

Madigan's Millions (1968) Actually shot in 1967, I think. So it should be Hoffman's screen debut, though the movie found a distributor only after The Graduate was a hit. The only good thing is Elsa Martinelli, though Hoffman is impeccable in comedic routines quite lame. Lots of roman exteriors and well known faces of italian b movies make this crap get a 4/10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eleqXRSnUmY

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #646 : May 30, 2016, 03:03:10 PM »

The Seven Year Itch (1955) The screentest of Matthau shows how this could have been a better movie, though the censorship mangled the original theatre text. But of course you watch the movie for Monroe, as adorable as usual. Unfortunately, for a comedy, it's not very funny.  6/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #647 : June 03, 2016, 02:51:19 PM »

Lady of Burlesque (1943) Actually, there is little of burlesque risqué, for censorship reasons. The names of Wellman and Stanwyck (here as a mediocre singer but as amazing, for a non professional, dancer) rescue this from being a simple serial episode of the crime genre. But the only memorable scenes are those with Stanwyck: if you're a fan of hers don't miss it, otherwise go elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCa1qNPINgE

6/10

As I have also the novel, I'll check it asap.

« : June 03, 2016, 02:53:20 PM titoli »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #648 : June 05, 2016, 04:51:15 PM »

The Misfits (1961) You could see the last half hour and get the gist of it. The first 90' are pretty boring, though Gable is huge and Marilyn is her usual good too except that their characters are inconsistent. But the last part, with the horse chase, thanx to Huston is interesting, though based on usual hollywooden melodrama. 6/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #649 : June 06, 2016, 07:19:22 AM »

Killing Them Softly (2012) So you're a delinquent planning to hit a local mobsters cardgame hive with the certainty that the mobsters won't come after you because the blame will be put on the hive's mob representative who did the trick before himself and is still there not only to tell it but with his role untouched (this is for d&d). So who the half delinquent picks up for the job? A half-moron just out of prison who picks as pard a junkie who is half stoned all the time, of course (and what is the music YOU would pick up when he does his smack? Of course not VU's Heroin). They do the trick and, of course, the junkie spills the beans at once to one of the mob's connections. OK. So what would you do if you were not a half-moron? Leave town, of course: you have the money to do it. But of course nobody does so they just patiently wait for mob's hitmen to get to them. They're lucky one of the hitmen is even more moron than they are, so they have some respite.   As the plot is so simple it has to be filled up with dialogues on, mostly, sex. And that makes it even more boring. Pitt is as credible, as a hitman, as Gandolfini is. I give it 6/10 only because of the spectacular  Liotta's killing.   

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #650 : June 06, 2016, 10:30:20 PM »

Girls in Prison (1956) Promising title for 90' of boredom. 2-3 girls are pretty, but all they show is their faces. 2/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #651 : June 08, 2016, 10:24:09 AM »

Monkey Business (1952) A comedy which doesn't make you laugh. Some scenes are ermbarrassing (Grant as Indian, honeymoon revival). Rogers was 41 and looks like 60, Monroe towers over the whole cast in her small role. 5/10

« : June 10, 2016, 07:32:45 PM titoli »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #652 : June 10, 2016, 03:56:42 AM »

Something's Gotta Give (1962) What was shot of the Monroe's last movie shows that this was a comedy with a very good potential thanx to MM and Dino. The famous swimming pool scenes take your breath away as MM once inserted in the story, though I doubt they could have made it on the screen (MM shows her naked buttocks). A pity at least another third of the movie could not be shot because of the star's tantrums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVfKpx-aSRk

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #653 : June 11, 2016, 03:51:17 AM »

Something's Gotta Give (1962) What was shot of the Monroe's last movie shows that this was a comedy with a very good potential thanx to MM and Dino. The famous swimming pool scenes take your breath away as MM once inserted in the story, though I doubt they could have made it on the screen (MM shows her naked buttocks). A pity at least another third of the movie could not be shot because of the star's tantrums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVfKpx-aSRk

O0 O0 O0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #654 : June 11, 2016, 11:20:58 AM »

Let's Make Love (1960) Lame romantic comedy, too long and, even worse, too centered on Montand instead of MM. But some musical numbers, though not executed at the best both on stage and by Cukor, make it watchable. 6/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #655 : June 21, 2016, 03:21:08 PM »

Le ultime ore del Che (2004) Very interesting documentary on the last hours of the juvenile icon. I kept wondering all through the vision what would have happened to him had Washington not ordered to kill him in cold blood. Maybe it was his luck. 8/10

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #656 : June 22, 2016, 06:45:56 PM »

Killing Them Softly (2012)

I give it 6/10 only because of the spectacular  Liotta's killing.   

What I seem to understand, criminals from Boston are a different breed. The novel has even more dialogue to hide the simple plot so if you want to enjoy more of the language, read it. Some of it hits more than misses for me, especially the dialogue concerning the suicidal women with Russell.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #657 : June 26, 2016, 05:25:20 PM »

Chapaiev (1935) Routine war propaganda movie, which was considered a masterpiece for too long a time. Propaganda, steretypes and everything you have learned from war movies made in the '30's and '40's. I give it 6/10 onl because the battle senes are well made (even the demonstration on the kitchen table) and there's no MacLaglen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTt2yNo0FBk&list=WL&index=64

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #658 : July 13, 2016, 10:12:34 PM »

The Insider (1999) Boredom. I was about to cut vision after 20 minutes. Got to the end to know the facts but 2 & 1/2 h. to get to the point is too much. Pacino goes through the motions while Crowe is miscast and adds bad playing to the character. The rest is pure hollywood triviality. 4/10

I just saw this movie, and also considered keeping it on only to find out what happens, but shut it off halfway through. It's awful. (Besides, I could get the facts in 5 minutes from Wikipedia. Not that the movie is accurate anyway.) Russell Crowe is atrocious, the accents are awful, as is the camerawork. Pacino and Plummer are great actors, but they are not on screen nearly enough - at least not in the first half, the only half I saw. Crowe and his wife are awful awful awful.

By the way, Dickie Scruggs, the lawyer, was later sent to prison - for trying to bribe a judge who was ruling on a dispute over legal fees he was having with other lawyers in a different lawsuit. Scruggs is a millionaire many times over from his various lawsuits. Anyway, a few years ago, he was among a team of lawyers that won a big lawsuit (or perhaps a settlement?) from insurance companies related to Hurricane Katrina.  The legal team got $26 million to split among themselves, but then they started squabbling over how to split it. So a judge has to decide how the $26 million legal fee will be split. So Scruggs has one of his lawyer buddies go to the judge in the case and offer him a $40,000 bribe to rule favorably for Scruggs in the case. The judge immediately reports the bribe attempt, and Scruggs is arrested and gets a stiff prison sentence. This multimillionaire, all his millions were not enough for him. He was sentences to 7 years in prison. Read about it on wikipedia.

This guy is a crook. The Wall Street Journal editorial board has been bashing him for years - as I recall, some state attorneys general whom he is buddies with gave him cases to sue companies ... and he gets paid with contingency fees. So he has the full powers of a state attorney general, in cases he is taking not for the public good but for contingency fees. Then, of course, who do you think is among the biggest political donors to the attorneys general? Is there something corrupt about that or what????

If you want to read more about it, just Google "Dickie Scruggs Wall Street Journal." A whole bunch of articles will come up. A crook that guy is, and his cronies, the state attorneys general

As I was saying .... THE INSIDER is a crappy movie  ;)

« : July 13, 2016, 10:23:44 PM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #659 : July 18, 2016, 10:17:24 AM »

The Arrangement (1969) I saw it in the '80's but having read the novel lately, I gave it another try. The first curiosity was the naked scenes featuring Dunaway (!) and Kerr (!!!): they're all bogus. They're wearing panties in the bed scenes with Douglas and the buttocks are courtesy of understudies. :-\
Then there is the question of Boone being younger than Douglas but playing his father: ridiculous. The novel is a 500 pages brick based on a main character with little credibility, hanging between vague aspirations and drab reality (or so he thinks), surrounded by characters just as inconsistent. The movie follows the text quite closely but strangely, though the novel sold a million, it bombed. Probably the main problem was Douglas, who in spite of his efforts, CANNOT play credibly a tormented soul (see his Van Gogh). I don't think it's worth more than 5/10 

: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 62  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines