Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2021, 08:57:36 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 61
: Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace  ( 225929 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #735 : September 03, 2018, 01:00:53 PM »

The Mack (1973) Ambitious but not delivering blaxploitation flick. The main problem is that you don't see what the story is aiming at: to show the rise and fall of a pimp? Yeah, the story might be aiming at just that but there's no show. Crime story, yes a little of it but in 2h of film there is very little of it. I'd say the movie best asset is documentary: to show how black people dressed and talk in the '70's. But probably something better is out there to be found. 5/10

« : October 21, 2018, 02:41:55 PM titoli »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #736 : September 11, 2018, 03:16:39 PM »

John Carter (2012) Good timewaster though with nothing you haven't seen before. Overlong, as usual, but with a good finale. 7/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #737 : September 12, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »

American Moon (2017) Italian documentary on the Moon Hoax, it persuades me that there is something fishy about the whole business. The most important issue, in my opinion, apart from the pictures supposedly shot there which are evidently fakes, are  the reactions, at the end of the movie, of the three astronauts of Apollo 11 , at the news conference after their comeback (they look like they have lost a parent) and when they are asked by an movie director to swear they really have been up there and they run away. What keeps me from falling for the whole plot theory is the fact that too many people (and surely not as dependable as the 3 austronauts would have been: I'm referring to those who shot the "movies" who should have been Hollywood pros, surely not inclined to secrecy) would have had to be involved in the  shenanigan and nobody has yet come to the fore. Same for the other plot theories. Anyway it is interesting even if more that 3 h long. 8/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #738 : September 30, 2018, 09:54:06 AM »

Cloportes (La métamorphose des cloportes) (1965)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059491/

There is a reason if this one is not as well known as other french crime movies. And it is that it is a not well concocted mixture of comedy and noir. It is not as brilliant as "Les tontons flinguers" and not a good revenge movie as "Le deuxième souffle" or "Grisbi". A pity because Boudard/Simonin/Audiard (and Ventura) should have granted an excellent product. Worth watching but I can't give it more than 6/10, hoping that the novel will clarify some points not very clear of the plot.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #739 : October 05, 2018, 11:50:00 AM »

Mission: Impossible. Fallout  (2018) Overlong, as is usual nowadays. And "impossible" to follow the plot, unless you want to pay attention: which is not why you watch timewasters like this. But the Paris scene and the choppers chase and the final fight make this one a must for the fans of the series and of action movies. 7/10 

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #740 : October 06, 2018, 12:51:15 AM »

Misssion:Impossible (1996) I had missed this so far, at the time because I couldn't put up with Cruise. No great loss. It is funny how the gadgets (state of the art, or about) look more outdated than, say. the Connery-Bond's of 30 years before. Still a good time-waster with some good action scenes, like the one in the CIA vault (an updating of the one in Topkapi) and the final one.  7/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #741 : October 21, 2018, 02:41:02 PM »

Un prophète (2009) Clear the Goodfellas inspiration (there's also the deer incident to quote it) but then a supeficial comparison between the two shows why this is a minor flick. The director is clearly unable to provide depth to the story and characters. You have Corsicans vs Arabs, but it could be Eskimos vs Zulus and little, apart from languages, would change. True, I saw a dubbed version (they still dub movies over here, alas) but I don't think that would provide much more characterization. So the story is the simple, usual story of murders, betrayals and counter-betrayals, prison violence: nothing you haven't seen before and better made (there's not a single action scene worth remembering). The movie is overlong, the actors (with the exception of Arestrup: but I should watch the movie undubbed) passable. I was about to give it 7/10 but as I don't plan to watch it ever again I think 6/10 it is the right rating.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #742 : October 23, 2018, 05:56:13 PM »

Gotti (2018) The review "Hot Garbage" at IMDB tells it all about it. I'll add that Travolta plays his character the way these characters are played in movies since Coppola. 2/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #743 : November 17, 2018, 11:34:11 AM »

Fixed Bayonets (1951) Cheap looking, all in studio shot Korean war flick. Those painted backgrounds are an eyesore which would hurt  you even if the story were tops, which is not. A couple of scenes are good but not memorable, the characters stock-in-trade, the tanks made of wood, the explosions a little less effective as those of January first and so on. Not the best Fuller, only for completists. 6/10 

« : November 20, 2018, 02:51:40 AM titoli »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #744 : November 19, 2018, 08:18:47 PM »

The Crimson Kimono (1959) Fuller's worst movie? Probably. All wrong from start to finish. The plot hangs on a spit, the racial subtext makes you puke, the actors suck (though I saw it dubbed in spanish). 3/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #745 : November 19, 2018, 11:00:42 PM »

House of Bamboo (1955) Gangsters make Tokio. Ryan is competing for most moronic gang boss in the history of the genre; he couldn't tell an infiltrated government spy in his outfit not even if that one was wearing a uniform. The way he thinks of disposing of Stack beats everything a retarded goon might devise. The love story subplot with the racial subtext stinks as much as the one in Kimono. The action scenes are few and irrelevant. Only memorable clip is the Tuco in the bathtub  alike scene: only this time Cameron Mitchell is not entitled to say to Ryan:"When you have to shooot...". Still it rates 5/10 for some spectacular shots  of Tokio.

« : December 17, 2019, 08:30:40 AM titoli »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #746 : November 20, 2018, 04:05:47 AM »

House of Bamboo (1955) Gangsters make Tokio. Ryan is competing for most moronic gang boss in the history of the genre; he couldn't tell an infiltrated government spy in his outfit not even if that wearing a uniform. The way he thinks of disposing of Stack beats everything a retarded goon might devise. The love story subplot with the racial subtext stinks as much as the one in Kimono. The action scenes are few and irrelevant. Only memorable clip is the Tuco in the bathtub  alike scene: only this time Cameron Mitchell is not entitled to say to Ryan:"When you have to shooot...". Still it rates 5/10 for some spectacular shots  of Tokio.

I'd give it a 6/10 for the visuals.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #747 : November 20, 2018, 06:10:12 AM »

I'd give it a 6/10 for the visuals.

Of course, critics and Fuller himself see a gay subtext in the Ryan-Stack relationship. BS. The usual way to confer a pinch of depth to an awkward plot (i.e. justify Ryan's  imbecility).

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #748 : November 20, 2018, 07:52:44 AM »

Baby Face Nelson (1957) A stellar cast for a fast-paced, no frills story. The dialogues are tops (see the first one between Rooney and De Corsia) and the finale is a punch in the guts.I'm no expert but it might be Rooney's best performance. Carolyn Jones, with her Louise Brooks haircut, is more attractive than other dozen  molls of the genre: here looks much younger than a year later when she will play as a kind of mature doll for the young Presley in King Creole.   I give it 8/10 only because it is a cheap production and Siegel can do little about it.

« : November 20, 2018, 07:57:58 AM titoli »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #749 : November 21, 2018, 01:50:36 AM »

Machine Gun Kelly (1958) Very good for the first 2/3 it gets down the drain with the kidnapping episode. There's no way to justify in a credible way how the whole business is led on (the gangsters giving their names in front of the victims, the parents of Susan Cabot coming to the lair to entertain the kidnapped girl and so on). Yes, this time the psychological ruminations of the critics are justified, but they don't make the episode better. Susan Cabot gives a great performance, she's the protagonist of the story and of the movie; Bronson, on the other hand, it is not up to the psychological complications of his character. The opening sequence, except for the terrible dixieland score, might remind you of ToE. Still, it is a movie shot in 10 days and it shows. 7/10

: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 61  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines